Advice on a 22 rifle

by bpjon, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 19:27 (3870 days ago)

If one wanted the most accurate 22 available, and price IS an object, where would one look?

I should add, looking price is about $500.

by bpjon, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 19:31 (3870 days ago) @ bpjon

For competition? One can make a accurate 10/22 with volq

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 19:42 (3870 days ago) @ bpjon

trigger hammer and bull barrel. Before In knew about all that wonderful stuff, I bought a 1" Bull barrel and stock and had a friend do a trigger job on a 10/22 RB. It went on semi permanent loan in Southern Idaho...thousands of prairie dogs were accounted for...I am positive others here will have more and better solutions...it is what worked for me and is in your price range. Ruger also makes a really nice factory BB...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

used CZ bolt action

by Otony, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 19:43 (3870 days ago) @ bpjon

Should fit the bill perfectly.

Otony

used CZ bolt action

by uncowboy, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 19:53 (3870 days ago) @ Otony

word is that the CZ rimfires run neck and neck with the Anschutzs

As they say in Maine, ayuh!

by Otony, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 20:20 (3870 days ago) @ uncowboy

Mine is very accurate BUT Glenn Fryxel has an outstanding Marlin 39 that impressed me no end.

Otony

ditto on used CZ bolt action

by John Meeker @, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 20:20 (3870 days ago) @ uncowboy

the beech stock versions shoot every bit as well as the walnut checkered versions. And, the Euro-stock version, while not "American Classic' style, is a very versatile and comfortable style. There are after market triggers that really are a 'clean snap' joy, as well as assorted washer/shim kits for the same. Go to a 452 Forum, and get all the skinny. I've had a couple, and for shooting off-hand at small hundred yard targets on a mud-bank, I have never shot anything else better. Check around for yourself, but with one of them, you can be confident you have 'competitive' reality, with the potential residing in the shooter. I did scope it for a while, but really liked the challenge of good open sights and it's classic balance. Sorta Sahib Meeker in the dusty plains, stalking the wily golf ball.

same-o Vintage Marlin 39. Texas Silly shooter friend...

by John Meeker @, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 20:23 (3870 days ago) @ John Meeker

swears by his for the .22 drill. At this point in 'collectibles'? The CZ bolt-action may be easier to find in good condition for the price range you describe. IMHO, only, of course.

i bought a slightly used CZ 452, and a brilliant old local

by cable, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 01:06 (3869 days ago) @ bpjon

gunsmith did an awesome match grade trigger job for another 100$..... i believe it is capable of greater accuracy than i can generally shoot.

For what purpose?

by Brian A, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 05:57 (3869 days ago) @ bpjon

If you want to shoot smallbore position competition, or 22 silhouette, or for field carry, or to throw in the back of the truck, you may have different needs. For pure affordable accuracy, there are many good options in your price range. As was mentioned, you could pick up a 10/22 and have it modified within your price range. You could also probably find a good used Winchester, Remington, CZ, sporting or semi-target rifle that would astound you with it's accuracy. I picked up a used Win 69 for $150, that had some dings in the stock and a fair amount of light pitting on the exterior, but the action worked flawlessly and the bore was perfect. Brought it home, cleaned it up a little and found that it would put five rounds of PMC standard velocity long rifles into one hole, of about 30 caliber, at 25 yards, if I did my part off the bench. At the top end of your range you can occasionally find a true target 22 with plenty of good life in it, on a gun show table, or in the used rack in a gun store.

I want one of those biathlon rifles!

by pokynojoe, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 07:37 (3869 days ago) @ Brian A

I came in from chores late yesterday afternoon and switched on the TV for a few minutes, and what comes on is this biathlon relay race.

I've never seen anything like this! There are fellas skiing as fast as they can go, and then they have to stop and shoot five targets from different shooting positions, and then they have to tear off again and ski as fast as they can, and then they have to stop again and shoot five targets, why, I'm exhausted just typing it!

I was fascinated by this, could you imagine the shape these guys must be in!

Evidently, Americans suck at this, because the only fellas I saw were from Russia, Norway, Germany, and some other place like that. They were all tied coming into the last shooting place and the Russian, and German didn't miss any targets(apparently if you do, there is some kind of penalty, I missed that part)and the Russian outskied the German fella at the end. I don't live in a land of snow and ice, so I wouldn't know, but do any of you live were they do these kind of shoots? When that Russian fella stopped to shoot his last time, his rifle didn't move, I couldn't believe it! Anyway, pretty neat rifles, I like to examine one up close.

Joe

Advice on a 22 rifle

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 07:42 (3869 days ago) @ bpjon

It's not fancy, but my Savage MKII does a wonderful job for me. Accu-Trigger, heavy barrel, and laminated stock. I had it threaded for my GemTech and itsveryquiet, too! I makeup a pair of steel targets, 3" squares and have no issue smacking them every time at 150 yards. Here are some targets I shot when I first bought it, testing different loads.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Agree with Otony and Uncowboy....

by Bud, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 18:31 (3869 days ago) @ Slow Hand

the CZ is the way to go. However if you JUST happen to run across a JC Higgin auto 22lr buy it. Was made by High standard and these things will shoot like nothing you ever seen. They made 3 models...30, 31 and 32....I think... maybe the first was a model was a 29. I have a 30 & 31.

I would love to find one of these...

by Brian A, Monday, February 24, 2014, 09:12 (3868 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Jeff really spoke highly of them, but don't believe they are still imported, so it would have to be old stock or a used one. http://www.gunblast.com/RAA-Biathlon.htm

+1 on the CZ

by JD, Western Washington, Monday, February 24, 2014, 14:32 (3868 days ago) @ Otony

I've got 4 of the rifles, and every one of them (including the youth model Scout) will put 5 rounds of high velocity ammo that they like into groups under 1/2" at 50 yard, and good match grade ammo will shoot into one big hole in all of them. The full stock model will put 5 rounds in under 3/8". I have a LOT of 22 rifles, and hands down the CZ's are the most accurate of all of them. Trigger can be made excellent by replacing the spring, or just clipping a couple of coils off. Everything is steel and wood. The action is usually a little stiff until you shoot it some. I don't know what their secret is, but they shoot rings around everything else......

Tight bores are the secret....

by Otony, Monday, February 24, 2014, 15:29 (3868 days ago) @ JD

......CZs are pretty much as tight as any match rifle, maybe more so than some.

Otony

RSS Feed of thread