Another off-topic post, a tribute to the old WWII

by John K., Thursday, February 20, 2014, 18:30 (3872 days ago)

High Standard suppressed 22 auto of Bill Donavan OSS fame.

This old Ruger Standard was a complete train wreck, to include a drilled out chamber and sprung gripframe. Many gouges and abuses. It looked like a good candidate for prototyping. The barrel was replaced with a slice out of a AR barrel, 1-9" twist. Really wanted to be able to shoot the Aguila 60gr bullets and was curious how the slightly oversize dimensions and fast twist would work.

Nothing special on the inside, just K-baffles and the 4.3" barrel is ported very near the muzzle into a reflex area over the .400" diameter barrel.

Made a new taller rear sight to suit the front. Added a Volq extended mag release.

Bead blasted everything and coated in Norrel's Moly Resin Grayish-Black. Cured at a slightly higher temp to turn it greenish similar to Parkerizing that has been stored in cosmolene.

Shoots good, but the 60gr Aguila ammo is unobtainable right now.

Plan to use this as a test mule in my shop for various ideas.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Wow John!

by MR, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 20:00 (3872 days ago) @ John K.

Thanks, Mark! nm

by John K., Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:29 (3872 days ago) @ MR

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 20:02 (3872 days ago) @ John K.

Very cool!! I like the look and that rear sight is really neat! I am having paperwork drawn up for a trust hopefully to speed up the transfer go my new Sterling, but I also plan on form 1'ing an integral .300 blk can on an 8.5" barrel I have. Seems cooler than sbr'ing the lower and running it with my .30 cal can.

Is that endcap so you can disassemble it? Do you have to hook the baffle stack and pull it out or does the outer tube come off? Any issues shooting standard .22's through the slightly larger bore?

by John K., Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:25 (3872 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Tube is threaded both ends for easy cleaning - a must on 22 cans. So far, the bore size hasn't seemed to be an issue but I intend to bench it and compare scientifically. This from shooting 40gr standard and HV ammo of different makes.

The Form 1 integral 300 BLK sounds interesting. Do you have a design in mind? K-baffles?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:48 (3872 days ago) @ John K.

I'm going cheap and simple! I don't have a lathe to work with, so I'm going to do the "freeze plug" design. I've read of several guys doing 5.56 cans with that design and holding up quite well, i figure the low pressure .300 will be just fine. Ie got the AR built up as a pistol now, sot eh barrel is already threaded. I found a slip over flash hider that I can use to line everything up, and work like a reflex style can. Make it up and weld it to my barrel, keeping it over 16" and tuck it under the YHM tube on there. Figure it's worth $200 to play with it! I've done a lot of reading on the silencer smithing forum at silencer talk.com and it looks like something I can do. I need to do a little more thinking and figure out how many baffles, spacing, etc I can have and gather materials to get a rough idea of weight.

Silencer Talk is an excellent resource

by John K., Thursday, February 20, 2014, 22:04 (3872 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I have studied a lot of baffle designs there. Some of the Form 1 builds are quite interesting.

Expect you are right on the freeze plug baffle working just fine; the only drawback compared to a commercial can might be weight. In a shorter integral you might not even notice the difference.

Can't make up my mind on my Noveske 300BLK upper. Probably clipped cones, eventually.

Silencer Talk is an excellent resource

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, February 21, 2014, 04:46 (3871 days ago) @ John K.

I've been reading on their silencer smithing forum for years! Lots of interesting ideas and plenty of experience.

I was trying to think of some way to lighten it all up, but like you said, I doubt it will be too bad with an integral. My SAS can is pretty heavy, so with it on the pistol, it's noticeably front heavy. It is built to withstand basically any .30 cal round, and full auto, so it's a bit on the hefty side!

Back to silencer talk, I've tried to sign up before, but they won't accept a hotmail address for registration. I've had my email for about fifteen plus years, but they still look at it Asa. Throw away email. I've tried to email somebody on the sight to see about registering, but to no luck. I rarely have anything to add, but it would be nice to post on There occasionally.

Check your email for something from the webservant

by webservant @, Friday, February 21, 2014, 13:54 (3871 days ago) @ Slow Hand

nt

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 14:10 (3869 days ago) @ webservant

Nothing in the inbo or junk mail folder.

by webservant @, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 19:43 (3869 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Oops - check again. Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good... it should be there now...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, February 24, 2014, 04:43 (3868 days ago) @ webservant

Got it, thanks!

by bob, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:21 (3872 days ago) @ John K.

c'mon out, I have 2 bricks+ of the ammo!
bob

Dang near worth it in these times. nm

by John K., Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:27 (3872 days ago) @ bob

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:49 (3872 days ago) @ John K.

That Ruger is really great!! Love its looks..

Thanks! nm

by John K., Thursday, February 20, 2014, 22:07 (3872 days ago) @ Cherokee

Excellent work. That is a nice looking pistol.

by Jared, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 22:37 (3871 days ago) @ John K.

Thanks, Jared! nm

by John K., Friday, February 21, 2014, 09:21 (3871 days ago) @ Jared

I need to move to a suppressor friendly state.

by bigbore442001 @, So. Worcester Co. Massachusetts, Friday, February 21, 2014, 07:15 (3871 days ago) @ John K.

I have always wanted a silencer but where I am at they are verbotten

I need to move to a suppressor friendly state.

by John K., Friday, February 21, 2014, 09:23 (3871 days ago) @ bigbore442001

MA - ouch. Definitely behind enemy lines.

Nice work there John...

by Mark Stevenson, Friday, February 21, 2014, 09:58 (3871 days ago) @ John K.

That's a great use for a beater Standard model.

I take it you pressed the new barrel into the receiver as per original?
If so, what was the interference fit number?
Freeze/heat the parts to make installation easier?

You really do nice work.

Thanks, Mark! The barrels are threaded, not pressed.

by John K., Friday, February 21, 2014, 10:34 (3871 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

HEAVILY torqued. Since this barrel was ruined anyway, it was easier to just turn off the torque shoulder in the lathe and unscrew it by hand afterwards.

Receiver nominal dimensions are 1" OD and .750" ID. The somewhat crude barrel threads measured around .805" x 20tpi.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

That is SO cooooool!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, February 21, 2014, 11:00 (3871 days ago) @ John K.

I like it. Great concept and execution.

The 60 gr. Aguila is very interesting ammo. I ran through several boxes trying it in all my .22s and found that it would only stabilize in my 1956 Marlin 39Mountie. I used a Hanned tool on some rounds and felt it was pretty darn effective with that flat point AND greater weight.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Thanks, Hobie - always thought the SSS ammo was

by John K., Friday, February 21, 2014, 17:01 (3871 days ago) @ Hobie

a good idea, but it seems to be a lucky chance to find a gun that will stabilize them at 1-16". So I made one with a 1-9". :-D

Will report back as I'm able to test.

I'd like one just like it...Working ion the Trust thing...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, February 21, 2014, 17:53 (3871 days ago) @ John K.

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Once you get everything set up, it isn't hard, just a

by John K., Saturday, February 22, 2014, 08:45 (3870 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

waiting game. Words can't describe how nice it is to shoot without hearing protection in hot weather.

I have no idea why the 39M does stabilize them. That

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 19:04 (3870 days ago) @ John K.

is a 1-16" twist as well.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Ha! You learn something new every day...

by Mark Stevenson, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 06:59 (3870 days ago) @ John K.

I was under the impression they were pressed in originally. Threaded makes it easier to work on for certain.

It was sure tight enough to make you reconsider "threads".

by John K., Saturday, February 22, 2014, 08:48 (3870 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

and consider something different,

RSS Feed of thread