Tarnish Silver inlays on Blued gun...

by Gila Jorge, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 19:58 (3881 days ago)

Have an engraved Model 12 Pigeon No 5 pattern with silver inlays...gorgeous...but the silver is tarnished a bit....but afraid to go after else ruin the bluing...any suggestions...? Thanks in advance,.,.

Tarnish Silver inlays on Blued gun...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 20:46 (3881 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

Something like this should work on the silver but not mess up blueing.

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Silver-Care-Polishing-Cloth/dp/B000F1OT6A

There are paste polishes, and the abrasives are very fine, but I'd be leery of using them on a high polish blued finish.

Try a bit of spit and fine cloth..and rubbing..persist. ;~`)

by John Meeker @, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 13:01 (3880 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

if not too bad, it will do the trick. also finely powdered white chalk and spit and cloth -- all very carefully and frequent checks to make sure the blue is not being shaded or highlighted. I'd stick with spit and cloth.

Thank ya'll....went to a jewelry store and they gave me

by Gila Jorge, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 16:19 (3880 days ago) @ John Meeker

soen fine sueded cloth and told be to spit on it a bit...and rub but only on the siler...no chemicals involved...as do not want to hurt the blueing....told them what it was and they raised eye brows...but "gave" me gratis the sueded cloth....seems to work....just tmemerb when I put this safe queen away that the silver shone...now looks dull...hense the concern...

Spitting on the rag sure works...thanks a bunch got...

by Gila Jorge, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 16:18 (3879 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

the shine and sparkle back...really an impressive piece....thanks again..

Good ol' Semi-Chrome

by JLF @, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 23:56 (3879 days ago) @ Gila Jorge

Every gun bench should have a tube of Semi-Chrome, and a can of Berryman's B-12. Anything else is optional.:-D I once bought an engraved blue Smiff 19. Blue all over, nice engraving. I got it home and commenced to polishing it all purty with the Semi-Chrome, and shazam! Silver wire inlay all around the gun that had turned so dark it matched the blue!

JLF

RSS Feed of thread