more on 'nickle' bullet shooting..pistol was a 7'62 Browning

by John Meeker @, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 18:29 (3881 days ago)

The news reporting down in SA is worse than ours for getting facts mixed up..wasn't a .22lr as reported. Was Brownining 7'62 ... the latest...

Yesterday I finally heard some information directly from the defence attorney who
was being interview by the local CNN channel.
He said there were traces of copper in the wound and no nickel that should have
been there if the bullet came from the victims Browning pistol because the bullets
found in it had nickel jackets; he said "they were silver bullets" sic.
He also mentioned that the perpetrator was found by the police wounded and was
held for at least three hours before being taken to hospital.
How the traces of copper were found I do not know. I also do not know what
happened to the bullet, as it is not available to the prosecution.
We know from experience that we sometimes have assorted ammo and it may well
be that the victim had copper jacketed bullets also.
I find highly unlikely that metal detection in a wound, after several hours can be
done, but I am ignorant on the matter. Any and all comments are more than
welcome.

more on 'nickle' bullet shooting..pistol was a 7'62 Browning

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 18:41 (3881 days ago) @ John Meeker

Just a thought, is he really talking about the nickle case. Many people refer to the rounds of ammunition as bullets, rather than just the projectile.

...delivery like a brick through a plate glass window...

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 18:55 (3881 days ago) @ John Meeker

The defense counsel is grasping at any straw possible.

Like Cherokee opined, I'd bet the cases of the remaining ammunition are nickel plated.

Depends. Quite a bit of foreign ammo, including the 7.65mm

by John K., Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 19:13 (3881 days ago) @ John Meeker

had mild steel jackets that were thinly plated with nickel to prevent rust. Then there's cupro-nickel.

I think S&B still makes 32acp ammo in this configuration.

S&B made 9mm with cupronickel bullets well into the 90s

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 19:42 (3881 days ago) @ John K.

in any event, I still say the defense landshark is blowing smoke.

"The defendant could not, I say, could not have been shot by the victim's gun! Why? The defendant's gunshot wounds were caused by someone else!"

Just offering an alternate path to explain "silver"

by John K., Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 21:42 (3881 days ago) @ Miles Fortis

and "copper" not being mutually exclusive in an effort to refute Lawyer Foghorn Leghorn's claims.

Copper, brass, and steel jackets were plated by various manufacturers over the years.

Winchester Silvertips fit the description...

by anachronism, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 09:10 (3880 days ago) @ John Meeker

I thought the .32s had aluminum jackets, but they could be plated copper. The attorney is just demonstrating his keen mastery of his own ignorance.

this from my southerly friend -- the opposition's expert

by John Meeker @, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 10:26 (3880 days ago) @ John Meeker

"What do you know about the “technical forensic expertise” of the members of this forum:
http://iaaforum.org/forum3/index.php

The International Ammunition Association has a great sounding name, but what do you know about it? Or is it just an ammo collectors association? Does it have an international sort of accreditation?

Apparently an “expert” is using as a basis for his “scientific findings”.

Again, thanks in advance."

I just relayed the new info from youse guys to him.

Will be away for a bit on Chessie biz, until Monday. He may post here with more questions, so I give him highest character references. Hunting gun and dog friend I have corresponded with for years, and of good repute -- on doublegunshop.com

I've got a bbs account there

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 16:54 (3880 days ago) @ John Meeker

there is a wide and deep base of knowledge there regarding ammunition of all types. However it is primarily cartridge collecting, not wound forensics.

a Thank You, from SA

by John Meeker @, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 00:23 (3879 days ago) @ John Meeker

Thank you John and please thank your fellow members on my behalf.

Their contribution about cupronickel is very enlightening as the alloy is typically 75% copper and 25% nickel. Considering the defence says that copper was found in the wound and not nickel -that should have been the case considering the victims ammo was “silver”- then maybe he dug his own grave.

RSS Feed of thread