DOC O'MEARA

by SIXGUNNER, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 12:01 (3884 days ago)

WAS CALLED HOME ON THURSDAY

DOC O'MEARA

by Aaron O'Meara @, Virginia Beach, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 12:23 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

My father Robert Henry O'Meara AKA "Doc" O'Meara has passed on to that great Round-up in the sky. His obituary and funeral arrangements can be viewed on the link provided.

http://www.hollomon-brown.com/obituary/Robert-H.-O-Meara/Virginia-Beach-VA/1342144

Aaron, our most heartfelt condolences. He was

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 12:49 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

well respected here. He will be greatly missed.

I haven't seen Doc in several years, but I will miss him...

by Boge Quinn, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 12:56 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

...God bless y'all.

DOC O'MEARA

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 13:02 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

Sorry to hear it, Aaron. Your dad and I talked several times via this site and email. He is a good guy and will be missed. You and your family are in our prayers.

Doug K

what an honorable and wonderful gentleman! he will

by cable, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 14:00 (3884 days ago) @ Slow Hand

be missed here and elsewhere. corresonded and did some deals with him, wish i could have known him face to face.

DOC O'MEARA

by Jared, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 13:06 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

I am sorry to hear this, prayers sent for the family.

We are so very sorry for your loss.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 15:47 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

He was always a very helpful and considerate correspondent.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

It was an honor to have known your father.

by cas, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 16:46 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

I spent a number of pleasurable hours in his company.

He will be in our thoughts for many years to come.

It was an honor to have known your father.

by LAH @, Saturday, February 15, 2014, 22:02 (3877 days ago) @ cas

Same here.

DOC O'MEARA

by mcassill, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 18:36 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

I am so very sorry. He was certainly one of the finest.

My condolences, Aaron. Doc was well respected.

by John K., Saturday, February 08, 2014, 19:08 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

DOC O'MEARA

by bob, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 20:23 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

Met Doc back around 1999 when I first found on line gun forums. While I've not heard from him in years, and knew him to be in declining health, I will miss him. Medics are very special people, they have ability beyond their training, the kinds of abilities only taught by very bad experiences, while Doc was never my medic, as a company grade officer I knew that taking care of the team medic was the very best insurance I could buy. In Viet Nam we called them "Bac Si", roughly translated that means "Doctor", more especially it is an honorific recognition of the ability and importance of the man.
The best I can do now is to raise my glass in honor of Bac Si O'Meara and say, "TO Absent Friends". God rest you Doc. You are missed.

My Sincerest Sympathies Aaron,

by Drago, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 22:32 (3884 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

To you and your family. Prayers for you all.

Very sorry to see this Aaron.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 10:27 (3883 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

My very limited dealings with him told me he was a fine man.

DOC O'MEARA

by SubDoc, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 10:53 (3883 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

My heartfelt condolences. I was lucky enough to spend some time with Hank upstairs in his writers lair. We swapped sea stories and played a game of "did you know this guy?"

He used my Ithaca M-37 for an article he wrote and I gave him a picture of my great grand father getting out of a canoe with his 1886 winchester, picture taken about 1900. hank had it hanging upstairs.

It was my honor to know him.

my condolences

by Amerileiro, SW MO, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 13:00 (3883 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

Aaron my heart-felt condolences to your entire family.

An Irish proverb states it well:

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal."

May the rest of your days be filled with the memories of your father. And may we all lives well as he did so that we'll be ready when our turn comes to go.

My thoughts are with your family.

by brionic @, Monday, February 10, 2014, 18:55 (3882 days ago) @ Aaron O'Meara

Doc was a class act... he shared his knowledge and experience with enthusiasm, in the spirit of brotherhood.

Any time I posted about Jewish holidays, he replied in Hebrew.

Really a neat guy, who will be missed by all of us.

Condolences.

by JLF @, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 15:02 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Doc was one of the old breed. He will be missed by those of us left behind. My hearfelt condolences to his loved ones.

JLF

God Speed DOC O'MEARA

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Saturday, February 08, 2014, 15:53 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

I will miss him

DOC O'MEARA

by Charles, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 16:19 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Doc was on my mind all day Thursday (2/6) and now I know why. I knew he was quite ill and in the short rows, but I had hopped he had some good days left. He leave a big hole in this old world. God speed Doc, may you have fair winds and following seas.

Condolences. Thank you for posting.

by stonewalrus, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 17:27 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Nm

DOC O'MEARA He will be missed! I enjoyed partaking in his

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 18:06 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER
edited by Rob Leahy, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 22:48

wit & wisdom. Prayers for you folks.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

My condolences too.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 20:06 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Hadn't seen his name around in a long time, but I certainly remember his helpful posts in the Earp.com days.

I only had the pleasure of meeting him once.

by Murphy @, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 21:41 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

I think it was about the 2nd or 3rd year we held CSA in Clarksville.

We have lost a truly good, interesting gentleman.

Murphy

DOC O'MEARA

by john purcell, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 22:53 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

It was a privelage to know Doc, fairwell to a friend.John

DOC O'MEARA

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 23:03 (3884 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Please accept my condolences. Doc bought a couple of guns from me a few years back and I greatly enjoyed our phone conversations while we were doing the deal. I'd never have guessed he wasn't in his 40s when we talked. God bless him and keep him.

DOC O'MEARA

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 07:30 (3883 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

John and Barbara Purcell, along with Linda and I. spent a wonderful evening out with Doc and his wife in Little Rock where doc was attending an outdoors writing convention.
Doc was a friend, and he will be missed.

DOC O'MEARA

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 08:31 (3883 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Sorry for the loss to family and friends, and to the firearms world.

DOC O'MEARA

by Otony, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 10:13 (3883 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

It was my very great privilege to have corresponded with Doc, if only about matters revolver related. He was a most learned gentleman, and I will always treasure a signed book he sent me with a very personal inscription. He was not just a master medic, author, and father, he was an excellent observer of the human heart as well.

He is missed.

Otony

DOC O'MEARA

by Jhenry, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 14:07 (3883 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Condolences to the family. He was a fine gentleman.

DOC O'MEARA -- condolences for his friends here,,,

by John Meeker @, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 15:07 (3883 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

and for the loss to the Sixgun Heritage. Like Elmer and those gone past, he will live in his printed words, and the memories of those present.

Condolences and prayers sent, he will be missed...

by Brian A, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 20:57 (3883 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Another good one gone too soon.

Condolences to Doc's family

by Mark Stevenson, Monday, February 10, 2014, 05:56 (3882 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

May he rest in God's care now.

DOC O'MEARA

by Scribe, Monday, February 10, 2014, 07:22 (3882 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

In the early 2000s, I partnered with Doc to write a 92,000+ word manuscript for a probably-never-to-be-published Western novel based on an original idea of his: "The Six-Pointed Star, or Levy's Last Gamble," was its working title.

Took us almost a year and half to get through all of the drafts and we did it all through email correspondence and a few phone calls. We only met once,around Chapter 16, at a Pizza Hut in Seaford, Md. He traveled up from Virginia and I traveled down from South Jersey. He brought his favorite Colt Peacemaker with him, on featured in his books.

I know he shared with finished effort with a few of the people who post here regularly.

He was a heck of a guy. My own Dad was once a Bac Si too in 'Nam.

I will miss him. He was a talented writer and had a great imagination. A wonderful story teller.

Scribe

Condolences. I would have liked to have known him

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, February 10, 2014, 17:25 (3882 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER
edited by Bob Hatfield, Monday, February 10, 2014, 17:30

I bet he made a fine buddy to hang with. My condolences to his family

Doc 'n I were both from Virginia.

by Bud, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 19:49 (3880 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

When we'd met out West we bragged about how many blue crabs we could eat. We never got the chance to see who was the champ. There wasn't anyone like Doc...never was never will be. I'll miss him...................

RSS Feed of thread