Looking for an Armi San Marco 58 Rem cylinder

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 04:16 (3885 days ago)

Picked up a pristine unfired Armi San Marco 58 Remington at a variety shop a few weeks ago and was tuning her up. I noticed that when cocked the hammer back the nipple was offset. Looking down the barrel with a light I can clearly see each cylinder hole is not lined up with the barrel. It has a nice long forcing cone but that mis-alignment bugs me. I haven't shot it yet. It must have been made on a Monday after a long weekend eating spaghetti and drinking whatever they drink over there as each cylinder locking notch is about a 1/32nd of a inch off. Might not make much of a difference when you are already swaging a ball into the cylinder anyway and then that gob of lead that doesn't even resemble a bullet gets re-sized and re-shaped as it enters the barrel. But the hammer only grabs half of the nipple.

A Pietta cylinder is too long but could be fitted by altering the frame and back of the barrel of the revolver. I have an extra one of those and may go that route.

So any of you that may have a junker lying around maybe an old Armi San Marco brass framed gun that was worn out and still sitting in a box of junk somewhere I sure could use the cylinder. Seem like the CVA revolvers were made by this company before they went under.

Thanks

Bob

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 06:35 (3884 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

No help on the cylinder, but could you put a little shim in the window the bolt comes up through to push it over, helping to line the cylinder dee up better?

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 18:08 (3884 days ago) @ Slow Hand

That is what someone else suggested. I can see now that might just be possible to force the bolt one way or the other just a smidge if I can find the slack or make the slack in the bolt opening

Thanks

Bob

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 14:19 (3883 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

With the cylinder lined up perfect with the barrel and the nipple centered on the hammer I took out the cylinder locking bolt and only half of each of the cylinder notches line up with the window by looking underneath through the little window. All six were machined about a 1/16 inch off. Looking down the barrel I can see so much of the cylinder mouth as it is now it looks dangerous to shoot. Looks like I need TIG up all six locking recesses and grind/sand everything smooth, put the cylinder back in the gun and scratch new locking recesses outlines and try to grind/machine them out somehow.

Bob

by Catoosa, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 21:24 (3883 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Bob, any chance you could weld up the cylinder bolt opening and recut it to match the notches? Seems like moving the notches over would be way more difficult.

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, February 10, 2014, 18:09 (3882 days ago) @ Catoosa

I was lying in the bed last night telling myself "Theres got to be an easier way. You hit the nail on the head. I really hate to alter the frame if another cylinder will line up with the barrel. Seems there has to be some worn out brass frame Armi San Marco 58's floating around somewhere. If I can find one I would have some more internal parts also.

If I weld up and recut the window how do I force the bolt over to match the new window? Shims I suppose, but it looks like it would interfere with the way the springy legs of the cylinder bolt interact with the hammer cam.

Thanks

Bob

by Catoosa, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 22:42 (3881 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I wondered about that myself, but never having looked at the innards of one, I don't know if there's room to shim it over.

RSS Feed of thread