Cut down this past weekend....

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 06:54 (3895 days ago)

Hanging in a gooseberry bush on a fence row.

[image]

Good material for muzzleloading shotguns

by Otony, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 07:14 (3895 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

Makes excellent wadding.

Otony

That is a nice one. NM

by TomC, High Ridge Missouri, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 08:00 (3895 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

Gives me the willies just looking at it.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 08:50 (3895 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

Hate those nasty creatures.

Winged Minions Of Mephistopheles!

by MR, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 09:12 (3895 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

That's pretty much my opinion on those things.

Wow, Jimmy....that's an impressive beard, too!

by Caz, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 09:21 (3895 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

;-)

Good information, thanks.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 09:53 (3895 days ago) @ Otony

I usually discover those b y bumping my head into them...:-|

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Wow, Jimmy....that's an impressive beard, too!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 10:45 (3895 days ago) @ Caz

.:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Don't bring it in the nice warm house!!!

by woody, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 14:28 (3895 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nm

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 14:41 (3895 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

Hit one of them concealed in a hedge with a set of hedge clippers one warm summer day.

Needless to say, I'd have qualified for the Olympics in the 100 meter dash if anyone looking on had been timing me.

Those suckers can really put a hurt on you.

The problem was addressed that evening, when I drenched the next with Ortho's wasp and hornet spray. First long shot in the hole in the bottom, then soaked the outside as well.

Never heard another buzz out of them.

11° outside and dropping. Now is the time to cut

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 18:33 (3895 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

'em down! And yes, EXCELLENT wadding if you are burning patches.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Catoosa, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 10:47 (3894 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

Some years ago Dad discovered one not quite that big between the legs of a sawhorse that his posthole auger was sitting on. He needed to use the auger, so we had to deal with the nest. I went for it at a dead run and splashed a quart oil can full of gasoline/motor oil mix on it, and Dad followed up with a burning rag wrapped around a rock. Then we both ran like the dickens. The hornets came boiling out and came at us, trailing smoke like shot-up Japanese Zeros. They would get about ten yards or so before their wings burned off and they would fall to the ground. Some of them still tried to crawl to us and we had to stomp them.

The posthole digger got scorched a bit, but we didn't get stung. I lost all desire to fool with hornet nests after that.

by TomM, Thursday, January 30, 2014, 10:13 (3893 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

Nice one Jimmy...good weather to do it.
Where in the panhandle are you?...I'm up in the North end of Santa Rosa County, Munson community.

Tom, This was at my brother's place....

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Thursday, January 30, 2014, 12:15 (3893 days ago) @ TomM

...on the east side of Holmes Co.

I live a little further east. About 15 miles or so northwest of Tallahassee.

RSS Feed of thread