Recovered bullet pics

by John K., Sunday, January 19, 2014, 19:10 (3904 days ago)

Son-in-law made a bad shot on a deer with his Ruger Scout at about 250yds; turns out the scope was out of zero. Told him it was the first time in my 40yrs of deer hunting I had ever seen someone hit both hams, both loins, and both tenderloins with one shot. :-(

Anyway, the deer was down and he finished it off at about 15yds with his CCW - a Ruger 1911 loaded with 185gr Hornady Zombie Max ammo (I know, I gave him hell for that too). However, the performance surprised me - entrance was on the right shoulder (missed bone), broke a rib going in, traversed the chest cavity leaving respectable damage, broke a rib going out and lodged in the left shoulder. The bullet had shed the jacket but they were located together along with the little green tip. Lead was expanded to about 3/4".

Check out the thumbnails:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Forgot to include recovered weight - 155gr. nm

by John K., Sunday, January 19, 2014, 19:14 (3904 days ago) @ John K.

Forgot to include recovered weight - 155gr. nm

by Jared, Monday, January 20, 2014, 09:00 (3903 days ago) @ John K.

Pretty good performance. I shot a small deer a few years back with a 230 GD at 950. It left a nice size hole all the way through. It is amazing how well they are making bullets expand at what was once low velocity for reliable expansion.

Agreed, back in the old days it was hard to get repeatable

by John K., Monday, January 20, 2014, 09:53 (3903 days ago) @ Jared

performance from JHPs in 45acp. This being a 185gr that expanded well AND penetrated more than 12", including two ribs, impressed me quite a bit.

I had some of the old Remington 185gr +P

by Jared, Monday, January 20, 2014, 18:53 (3903 days ago) @ John K.

Made in the late 80s early 90s. I want to say they chronographed over 1100 FPS. In my testing they opened up huge, maybe like a 50 peice, but weren't much thicker either. Penetration wasn't really encouraging.

Come to think of it I think there are some of them left. Now that I have a place to do that kind of stuff again I'll have to break them out and see what they do head to head with my 230gr GD handload.

Ice storm

by Catoosa, Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 11:27 (3902 days ago) @ Jared

I was cleaning out one of the freezers yesterday and had a 20-pound bag of crushed ice to dispose of. I'd been messing with a couple of new Colt magazines for my Commander, and had one loaded with some of the old CCI 200 grain "Flying Ashtray" hollow points. In my experience, and apparently that of others as well, if a gun/magazine combo will feed that cartridge it will feed durn near anything.

Anyhow, I peeled the plastic bag off and set the frozen chunk of crushed ice on a stump, backed off about ten yards and kissed the chunk with one of the flying ashtrays. Instant blizzard. I know why CCI quit making those things, but in a gun that will feed them they are still pretty awesome.

useless flying ashtray trivia

by MR, Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 16:17 (3902 days ago) @ Catoosa

One of the last things I did before I quit the gun store and went back to college in 1977 was to sell Arch an unopened case of those things.

I used to go to a shop in Lewiston, Idaho...bought blems by

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 17:14 (3902 days ago) @ MR

the pound. Those were the days!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread