I thought I was going to have chicken for dinner today.

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Sunday, February 12, 2012, 20:09 (4616 days ago)

I spied those chickens at a distance and started a stalk.

[image]

When I poped over the ridge there they were!

[image]

Turkey!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, February 12, 2012, 20:24 (4616 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

Vultures...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Turkey!

by Scribe, Tuesday, February 14, 2012, 08:43 (4614 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

My grandmother, way back when she was a kid on a South Jersey farm and sometimes hunted for the family's pot, shot what she thought was a turkey, brought it home and cooked it. She was quite proud.

Turned out to be a turkey vulture -- and they smell a whole lot different than a real turkey! And are not edible.

The house needed to be aired out and she couldn't sit down for a couple of days afterward. Wasting cartridges was frowned upon.

After that episode, she said she preferred to go fishing.

Scribe

before you decide to shoot one

by Lloyd Smale, Monday, February 13, 2012, 04:52 (4615 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

best look at the fines involved. Seems there protected due to the fact that back in the pioneer days they cleaned up carcuses that caused desiese. Bigger fines for shooting one of them then shooting a bald eagle!!

by Catoosa, Monday, February 13, 2012, 09:26 (4615 days ago) @ Lloyd Smale

Those things sure aren't "endangered" around here. Hundreds of them roost on the TVA powerline towers all over Middle Tennessee. You couldn't hardly shoot up in the air without hitting one.

by Lloyd Smale, Monday, February 13, 2012, 11:02 (4615 days ago) @ Catoosa

still federaly protected though.

Don't taste like chicken...

by Bud, Monday, February 13, 2012, 12:15 (4615 days ago) @ Lloyd Smale

taste like road kill................

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Monday, February 13, 2012, 12:47 (4615 days ago) @ Bud

More like Spotted Owl crossed with the Ivory Billed woodpecker- or is that peckerwood?

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, February 13, 2012, 16:30 (4615 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

Farmers around here dont know about any federal regs. The ones with the red beaks or heads like to pluck the eyes out of newborn calves making these birds prime 17 HMR targets.

Bob

Used Remington 5mm for same thing

by Bud, Monday, February 13, 2012, 19:01 (4615 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

during birthing for sheep. That thing wouldn't kill a groundhog right away, but it was rough on buzzards, crows and especially blue jays. Just a blue cloud lingering in the wind was all that was left.

RSS Feed of thread