6" bbl S&W 44 mag "Mountain Gun" ...

by matt/pa @, Monday, January 06, 2014, 14:13 (3917 days ago)

In Raton this year, Rob Leahy was shooting a 6" bbl tapered barrel N-frame S&W 44 mag with Herrett's grips on it. He let me shoot it some and it just felt great, and looked cool to boot. IIRC, it was a custom gun by a Andy Cannon (?).

So, I'm walking around a local gunshow yesterday looking for neat guns, as always, and spot this plain-jane 6" bbl Model 28-2 with a tag that reads "44 mag". Surely that must be a mistake, says I, as all 28s were 357s...heck the barrel on this gun even says so. A quick discussion with the 81-yr old table holder and it turns out it was converted to 44 mag. He didn't know by who, but other than the caliber not being changed on the barrel, it seemed to be well done.

A few minutes of haggling, and it came home with me for less than the sum of what a regular Highway Patrolman was worth 15 years ago!!

I figure a steady diet of 44 Specials and mild 44 mags should be just the ticket. I'm not much of a 44 mag guy, those of you who know me know that I much prefer the 45 Colt, but it can't hurt to have one (OK, three) in the safe, right?

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

I have already replaced the grips with a set of Herrett's that I got from Rob at SH, so that will improve shootability. I will see how she shoots soon!!

Anyway, I thought you guys would enjoy this, especially on a COLD global warming day.

Matt

COOL! I like it. I call dibs!:-)

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, January 06, 2014, 14:42 (3917 days ago) @ matt/pa

Yep Mine was built by Andy Cannon. It's about my favorite of all guns.
[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I'll put your name with it in the rug...just in case...

by matt/pa @, Monday, January 06, 2014, 18:47 (3917 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Yours was in the back of my mind when I saw it!!

Matt

Very cool! I picked up a very nice 28-2 44 Special...

by Boge Quinn, Monday, January 06, 2014, 15:00 (3917 days ago) @ matt/pa

...conversion last year.

Yes you did!!!! Lucky dog. nm

by matt/pa @, Monday, January 06, 2014, 18:47 (3917 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

nm

Very nice!

by Glen, Monday, January 06, 2014, 16:48 (3917 days ago) @ matt/pa

Is that cylinder long enough for a full length .44 Mag round? I would shoot it as a .44 Special myself....

The cylinder length was my concern...

by matt/pa @, Monday, January 06, 2014, 18:52 (3917 days ago) @ Glen

I tested it at the show with 240 gr JHP and it was fine. I don't have a lot more room so may not be able to load Keith bullets for it, at least in 44 mag. I'm thinking it will likely be a 44 Special any way :-)

Matt

That cylinder wasn't long enough....

by Glen, Monday, January 06, 2014, 21:16 (3917 days ago) @ matt/pa

...for the .357 Mag (same length case) with the Keith SWC (shorter nose than the .44 Keith SWC). Think of that gun as a .44 Special and you'll be happy.

That's friggin SWEET!

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Monday, January 06, 2014, 17:14 (3917 days ago) @ matt/pa

:hubbahubba:

Thanks, Andrew. nm

by matt/pa @, Monday, January 06, 2014, 18:53 (3917 days ago) @ Andrew

nm

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, January 06, 2014, 18:09 (3917 days ago) @ matt/pa

Looks good to me, sounds like you got a good deal on a fun gun. Would be 44 Special load levels for me.

yep, 44 specials are likely it for me as well nm

by matt/pa @, Monday, January 06, 2014, 18:53 (3917 days ago) @ Cherokee

nm

by Catoosa, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:31 (3916 days ago) @ matt/pa

Why didn't S&W ever make that as a production gun is what I wonder, with a 29-length cylinder and heat treatment, and the 6" tapered barrel? Seems to me like that would be the ultimate outdoorsmans revolver. Yeah, it'd kick some, but sure would be a delight to carry.

I have exactly that gun.` I recall that when I first saw the

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:38 (3916 days ago) @ Catoosa

Mountain Gun, I anoyed the clerk mightily by asking if it came in a 6" version...I was living in my tipi at the time, under the Mogollon Rim and wanted a light accurate powerful pistol. I should have bought THAT particular 4" MG but...didn't.
It took me some time but I have made up for that poor choice since.;-)
[image]

--

I have exactly that gun.` I recall that when I first saw the

by Catoosa, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:51 (3916 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Have you found it to be significantly more controllable than a 4"?

better balanced...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 14:52 (3916 days ago) @ Catoosa

I like the 4" guns better than any of the shorter N I have owned. They hide better for me.

--

Agreed. I like 'em both but the 6" is just right.

by brionic @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 21:56 (3916 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The 4", although "perfect", feels slightly butt heavy in comparison, although it packs a bit easier.

How's that new/old 5" 629 working out for you (again), Rob?

I think we need to trade; You have that old nickle .44 spl

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, January 08, 2014, 11:36 (3915 days ago) @ brionic

and I know you really NEED a 5" .44 MAGNUM!:-) Could you post a picture of that ratty old thing?;-)

--

See your thread, above.

by brionic @, Wednesday, January 08, 2014, 17:33 (3915 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Hey, I cut and sewed a crappy leather axe mask today. Managed to stain/cut/stab/make a fool of myself, all for mixed results. But the axehead is covered, so mission accomplished. Gotta get better at the planning and measuring part, though.

RSS Feed of thread