Since I can't find a factory Colt Commander hammer...

by rob @, Friday, January 03, 2014, 07:56 (3920 days ago)

for my stainless Series 80, I guess I'm just gonna go with an aftermarket hammer/grip safety combo. Any suggestions as to what to use or stay away from? I don't mind buying a tool to cut the radius on the back of my frame but I don't want a grip safety that has to be blended. I'd like to cut the radius and have one that is pretty much drop-in as far as frame fit goes. I know some of the Ed Brown grip safeties require a lot of reshaping. As for a hammer, if I have to buy a matched fire control set to get a decent drop in trigger, that's fine. Those of you who have done this, I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer,
rob

Commander hammer...

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, January 03, 2014, 22:12 (3920 days ago) @ rob

Personally I would pony up the money and have someone fit/blend a good grip safety, will look and feel better in the end. But I understand your feeling and thoughts about this. I saw your earlier post and searched for a Colt branded hammer, none to be found. Colt is a little weird about parts, wait two years and they might be everywhere, you never know with them.

Look hard the Cylinder and Slide fire control sets, very well done and they have multiple setups at different prices, along with a top notch rep for quality. Another one to look at is Harrison Design, great rep and used by top line 1911 smiths, a little pricey and no drop in kits but very nice parts.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/ignition-sets-parts

If you decide to go the "do it yourself" route on the grip safety and need the Ed Brown tang tool, let me know, I have a new one sitting in the gunroom and you are welcomed to it.

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Thanks Gunner,

by rob @, Friday, January 03, 2014, 22:27 (3920 days ago) @ Gunner

I appreciate the offer. Let me decide which way to go and if I decide to do it myself I may take you up on that. I've considered the C&S sets because they do have a good rep. Doug K sent me a grip safety that I think is a Commander version but it's tight. I'm tempted to see what it will take to make it work. It may need a frame radius also. I like it because it's sorta low profile and might be just right for what I want. I can always go to a professional fitted GS later if I want.

Some fitting required...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, January 04, 2014, 17:03 (3919 days ago) @ Gunner

I fit a Wilson beaver tail to my series 80 stainless. It took a little blending to get it to fit like I wanted to the frame. That's a big bonus to stainless is that you can easily refinish it when you are done. My Colt is supposed to be my 'forever' gun, so I wanted to make it look as good as I could. I may have had an hour or two in fitting it, but I enjoyed doing it. I also fit a new MSH to it, making sure it matched up to the frame as smoothly as possible. I have most of the. Mechanics done to it, I just want to make sure it's how I want it before I refinish it. I'm also thinking of sending it back to Colt to have them checker the front strap. Their price was about the. Best I could find online and I figure dot they'd do as good of a job as anyone.

That's why I bought this one...

by rob @, Saturday, January 04, 2014, 22:26 (3919 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Wanted a Colt because it was/is gonna be a forever gun. I'm in no hurry to get it where I want it but, but I want it done yesterday:) I'm gonna call Colt and see if there is any possibility of getting a stainless factory Commander hammer and a Delta Elite grip safety before I buy something else.

That's why I bought this one...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, January 05, 2014, 08:44 (3918 days ago) @ rob

Yep, I've 'fixed up' several 1911's and owned a few nice factory ones, but they never seemed to stay around. I figured if I built one with a prancing pony, it may stick with me longer! It's to my liking and shoots well enough, I just need to pretty it up some and be done with it!

RSS Feed of thread