Knife build......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 17:17 (3922 days ago)

[image]

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Knife build......

by bob (who is a sucker for knives!), Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 17:36 (3922 days ago) @ Gunner

Very Nice!

I'm as much a sucker for a good knife as bob is....

by Glen, Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 17:59 (3922 days ago) @ bob (who is a sucker for knives!)

...that looks very nice! Are you offering these for sale?

I'm as much a sucker for a good knife as bob is....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Thursday, January 02, 2014, 07:08 (3921 days ago) @ Glen

I will be, this one still needs some attention.....
Have to finish staining the handles, can not find anything, so far, that brings out the black figure in the wood, it has several coats of linseed oil, thinking maybe Tru Oil or Tung oil.

The blade needs some touch up polishing, the holidays are playing havoc on my schedule, awaiting on delivery of my new sisal, buffing wheels and some rouge to work out the fine scratches, then it will be available for purchase.

--

I've had really good results . . .

by Kentucky, Saturday, January 04, 2014, 10:25 (3919 days ago) @ Gunner

. . .with Tru-Oil on gun stocks. Proper application is time-consuming as many hand-rubbed coats are requireed to produce the results I desire.

I don't know if this would be a good finish for knife handles if you consider that the knife might get really wet in use or cleanup. It's possible to easily touch-up a Tru-Oil finish, but I dunno if that's desirable.

Wonder if some variety of poly varnish might be better? Perhaps it might make the grip too slick??

Very clean lines ..I like it!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 18:14 (3922 days ago) @ Gunner

..:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Knife build......

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 21:35 (3922 days ago) @ Gunner

Very nice!

Very nice!

by Brian A, Thursday, January 02, 2014, 00:39 (3922 days ago) @ Gunner

nm

I can understand "hidden" pins . . .

by Kentucky, Thursday, January 02, 2014, 08:55 (3921 days ago) @ Gunner

. . . but how are the scales affixed? Epoxy?

Beautiful knife. You should offer them in sets as steak knives.

;-)

I can understand "hidden" pins . . .

by Gunner @, St Louis, Thursday, January 02, 2014, 09:06 (3921 days ago) @ Kentucky

Yep.....I attach two short pins in the tang then epoxy the handles to the pins and tang. With the two pins and 3,300 psi epoxy I doubt the handles can move and I like the clean look of the handles without pins sticking thru. I know some people think the pins add to the look, I on the other hand prefer to see all handle. I saw a custom, thin handled knife the other day, while very nice I thought the 8 1/16" gold pins in the handle stood out more than the really nice wood handles.

--

Makes sense to me. I trust the good epoxies.

by Kentucky, Friday, January 03, 2014, 09:07 (3920 days ago) @ Gunner

My only concern would be moisture seeping under the scales. I suppose that if you were sure to get a good, complete, over-all coating of epoxy that it would seal the entire area of contact.

I like the look.

:-)

Good epoxies....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, January 03, 2014, 22:01 (3920 days ago) @ Kentucky

I only use the top brand of epoxy, taking no chances on a handle coming loose. As for moisture getting behind the handle, never say never I guess, but doubt it. Here is how I do of my handles...first I rough cut the slabs, checking overall size, grain, color etc. Then outline the tang on the back of the slab, trim on the band saw, flush sand the backside for smooth finish then seal the wood. I use a applicator to apply the epoxy, ok a popsicle stick, to the backside, covering the whole handle, thick coverage, press the handles onto the pins and tang, wipe the excess off best I can, clamp and let set for 24 hours. Basically I made a knife sandwich, I like to see excess epoxy squeezing out all the way around the tang, feel that gives me a good moisture seal between the handle and tang. Though it makes it a pain in the you know what to flush sand the spine of the knife with the handle, darn hardened epoxy is way tougher than the wood, easy to over sand trying to get rid of the dried epoxy and damage the handles in the process. But in the end I believe the effort is worth it.

--

Having played with some epoxies in the past . . .

by Kentucky, Saturday, January 04, 2014, 10:17 (3919 days ago) @ Gunner

. . . I can totally relate to that explanation and visualize all the little "gotchas" that develop. You are doing it exactly as I would do it, and that would appear to be the best hope of keeping moisture from getting between the blade and the scales.

There is always more to something than we initially recognize.

Man . . . that's a good-lookin' knife!

:-D

almost all full tang knives use epoxy

by bj2, Thursday, January 02, 2014, 20:38 (3921 days ago) @ Kentucky

Almost all custom makers use epoxy, no matter what kind of pins or bolts they use.

There is a trend among survival knive makers to use bolts and no adhesive. They also like to use carbon steels such as 1095. I think their idea is that they worry about moisture under the scales and corrosion, and with removable scales they can take the scales off to clean under them.

Knife build......

by John Meeker @, Thursday, January 02, 2014, 23:37 (3921 days ago) @ Gunner

Sweet design and execution. Like good sensible steel and designs like that.

Good looking knives

by bmize, Friday, January 03, 2014, 11:04 (3920 days ago) @ Gunner

Mr Snow also does a little knife work.

[image]

This is a match set he made my son and I several years back.

Very nice Gunner!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, January 06, 2014, 21:44 (3917 days ago) @ Gunner

I love the style.

RSS Feed of thread