Plug gauge set question

by brionic @, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 16:19 (3923 days ago)

Are inexpensive ZZ type plug gauges "good enough" for bore measurements? I'm looking at a .250-.500" set.

Ordinarily, I stay away from made in China garbage, but even some of the more expensive sets seem to be made abroad. I have seen, multiple times, the same tools rebranded for various sellers and don't want to pay extra merely for packaging.

I've seen Grizzly thrown about as an affordable set, plus there is a 99 set on Amazon.

Merry New Year to all of you!
--
B

Plug gauge set question

by Fowler, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 17:25 (3923 days ago) @ brionic

Yea they would work fine, they might be fractionally off or out of round but if in doubt check with your calipers the pin and you will be fine. Heck even if they are junk they will be within .0005" and you will never know the difference in a cylinder throat.

Plug gauge set sources

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 22:58 (3923 days ago) @ brionic
edited by RidinLou, Friday, January 03, 2014, 19:59

Try pricing the set at Enco and some of the other suppliers also.

I hate having no use for about 80% of the pins that I have in my set, but the onesthat I have used sure have been useful on several different calibers.

A coworkers 45 LC was interesting cylinder throat vs barrel diameter.
Cylinder throats were way oversize, but it shot decently with Lee's 255 grainer from his report back to me.
Funny thing is I bought that mold to cast lead slugs to shoot out of a 45 caliber smokepole with oversize barrel dimensions

Ruger single-action .45's . . .

by Kentucky, Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 11:09 (3922 days ago) @ RidinLou

. . . have a history of "interesting" throat dimensions. So far, every one I've had (both OM and NM) was way undersized in all the throats, and also not round or even consistent across a single cylinder.

:-|

Thx; good tips.

by brionic @, Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 22:21 (3922 days ago) @ brionic

RSS Feed of thread