SKS Headspace

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 13:13 (3943 days ago)

I've READ a lot about it but I thought I'd ask this group if they have any thoughts on the subject of replacement bolts and headspace. I wonder if I'm missing something.

Background. A friend inherited his father's SKS-M (uses AK mags) in which his father had apparently installed the bolt from his other, now long gone, SKS (the standard format) and it didn't work with the mags. He bought a replacement bolt (a TAPCO maybe). It was no feat to swap the parts from one to the other. He did shoot the gun with the bolt that wasn't original to it. This new bolt seems to have less headspace than that old, non-original-to-the-gun bolt.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

SKS Headspace

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 18:48 (3943 days ago) @ Hobie

If the headspace appears less than it was originally and the things fires and functions, and the expended cartridge appears of nominal dimension, I'd say leave well enough alone.

If he want's to check, Clymer makes gages in 7.62 Soviet. He can buy a set and see just how tight the gun is.

With that in mind, the last time I checked some brand spanky new AKs, they wouldn't close on a GO gage until they'd had a hundred or so rounds downrange.

Your mileage may differ.

Thanks. That's my take on it but, as you say, YMMV.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 07:30 (3943 days ago) @ Miles Fortis

Thank you for the response.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread