I think I need to get me a collimator...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 09:37 (3944 days ago)

All of this messing around with scopes I've been doing the last few months has made it clear I probably would do well to purchase one. The old peepers ain't what they used to be, and old timey bore sighting is wasting me too much ammo. I got around a hundred bucks to spend, can I get a decent one for that amount of money, or just junk? What's available that will work in my budget? Anything?

Thanks
Joe

leupold collimator

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 09:53 (3944 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter...
I have the first version and really love the simplicity...don't ask me the details on how it works...it just does.:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

While I was looking for a link, Rob beats me to the punch.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 10:07 (3944 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I have the first model as well. It works great for getting on paper mox schnell. It can sometimes be picky about the light source but, when that happens, I just move around, room to room until I find one that works---usually difuse light like through a sheer curtain. I've used it on open sights, both handgun and rifle, as well.

New model Leupold => http://www.midwayusa.com/product/675745/leupold-zero-point-bore-sight

This Bushnell looks like the first Leupold => http://www.midwayusa.com/product/195769/bushnell-magnetic-bore-sight?cm_vc=subv1675745

There's probably better prices if you shop around (Midway has crept up over the last few years).

Thanks fellas...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 12:39 (3943 days ago) @ Hoot

I don't see how the heck the thing works. Besides, it seems they quit making them. I was looking at this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/304939/bushnell-bore-sight-banner-series-with-3-expand...

Too much? No good? Overkill?

Thanks
Joe

Hmmm..I didn't notice where Midway shows them as discontnued

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 13:25 (3943 days ago) @ pokynojoe

They still show up as a current product at leupold.com ( http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/accessories/tools-and-accessories/ )

I've used a couple of 'spud type' in the past and they worked well. I like the magnetic attachment better as it is simple and universal. The link above outlines how to use it at a somewhat high level.

I have no experience with the one you show but it appears to be a quality item and I'd expect it to do what you need.

Thanks fellas...

by Jared, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 23:09 (3943 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I have the bushnell version linked above. It is ok for what it is. It will get you on paper at 25 yards and that is about it.

It has a grid that is useful as you can mark where each rifle is on the grid when it is sighted in. That way if you change scopes you can adjust the new scope to the same grid and it is really close. Or if you bump your rifle you can put that in and see if it is off from where you had it.

What about a laser?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 15:59 (3943 days ago) @ pokynojoe

A buddy has a cheap laser bore slighter. I've used it several times as has he. It may not be as fancy as an optical one, but it's worked fine for us and has more than paid for itself in ammo and time saved!

Those things 'll put your eye out...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 16:18 (3943 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Ain't those things caliber specific? I got more than one.

Those things 'll put your eye out...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 18:01 (3943 days ago) @ pokynojoe

They are, but they have different mandrels that attach to the rear. Some fit in the chamber, but his fits in the muzzle.

laser: i keep one at home and one in my range kit. paid for

by cable, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 19:50 (3943 days ago) @ Slow Hand

several times over in ammo and time and frustration saved. ;-)

Here's what we use, I love it...

by Boge Quinn, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 09:10 (3943 days ago) @ pokynojoe

...works on anything from a 22 to a 50:
http://www.gunblast.com/LaserLyte.htm

The laser "shells" work pretty well

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 20:18 (3943 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I don't remember if I got mine from Midway or Cabelas.

I'm going to have to use the "Ice Cream Principle"...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 10:46 (3943 days ago) @ pokynojoe

First off, I like to thank everyone for responding to my inquiry. I appreciate the expertise you have all demonstrated. It’s inspiring. However, this leaves me with a dilemma, the solution to which requires that I employ what I like to call the “Ice Cream Principle.” Now, I know you are all asking yourselves; “Tell us Joe, what is the Ice Cream Principle?”

I can’t really divulge that in good conscience. If used incorrectly, the consequences could be catastrophic, for the poor soul who uses it in a situation it wasn’t developed for. You see, it’s a very complicated theory I came up with shortly after I got married. The mathematical proof alone, took over 12 pages, front and back, and consisted of a very complex series of calculations and equations, much akin to my search for the Unified Theory, (which by the way, I’ve also been working on in my spare time over the last thirty years…and yes…I’m very close).

The need for the “Ice Cream Principle” arose after the first time my wife asked me to go to the market and pick up some ice cream. Being newlyweds, my wife was, as yet, unaware of my tendency to sometimes lean towards the weird and unusual, if not bizarre. I’ll just say that the choice of ice cream I came back with after that trip to the market, haunts me to this day. After that trip, I quickly realized that I needed to come up with a bomb proof theory that would allow me to avoid the unpleasantness I experienced after that trip, should I be asked to make any trips to the market in the future. So after painstaking research and mathematical calculations bordering on alchemy, I finalized the “Ice Cream Principle.” I will tell you it’s one of my single greatest accomplishments. It works, it’s infallible, but, only if used with the skill that’s taken me years to develop. So, you can see why I can’t reveal to you the intricacies of this very powerful theory. But there’s another reason.

Shortly after I developed this principle, in my delight at its success, I decided to submit it, along with the mathematical proof, to certain esoteric scientific publications for peer review. Little did I know what a can of worms I opened. My submission was intercepted and I was paid a visit by men in dark glasses who represented various and sundry governmental and quasi-governmental covert organizations. I was warned in no uncertain terms, that the contents of my proof must never be revealed to the general public. That it would cause, and I quote “a ripple in the fabric of American society, that couldn’t be repaired.” Yea, these guys are pretty dramatic, and I was scared. I protested and told them that if used correctly, my principle would cause harmony among husbands and wives everywhere for all time. That was the problem, or so I was told, the government just can’t allow that to happen. Whereupon they seized every scrap of paper, all my notes, and any other evidence the “Ice Cream Principle” ever existed. In my haste to submit my findings I failed to copy my copious notes, so I was left with nothing. I tell you for a long time I lived under the “Sword of Damocles”, even now, while I’m typing this, I’m looking over my shoulder.

So, now you know why the secrets I discovered, such a long time ago, can never be revealed to anyone.

Oh, and as for the collimators, I can’t decide, that laserlyte thingy looks pretty cool, around here its "gun accessory wasteland", Christmas time you know. I have to make a trip to Nashville on Saturday; I’ll see what I can find there. Thanks guys.

Joe

Hey Joe..

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 20:03 (3942 days ago) @ pokynojoe

If you have the time to stop, there are a couple of dandy gunshops in Lebanon. One is Lebanon Gun Shop on Hartmann Drive. Get off I-40 at the Hartmann Drive exit (Lebanon airport) and go north a couple miles, past the new high school on the left. Just after you cross West Main Street, the shop is right behind Burger King in a little strip commercial cluster on your left. Great folks to deal with and they gots lotsa stuff for a fairly small place.

The other place is The Gun Room, just off I-40 at the Watertown exit. Turn back toward town (north) on Hwy 70 and the shop is on Briskin Lane, first left north of the interstate. More nice folks.

There's also the Reloader's Bench in Mount Juliet. Get off I-40 at the Mt. Juliet Road exit and go north. Reloader's Bench is in a little strip commercial cluster on the right a couple hundred yards north of the interstate. Look sharp or you'll miss it, and if you pass Captain D's you've gone too far. Academy Sports is also at the same exit, a little further north. Reloader's Bench reminds me some of the oldtime gunshops of my youth. Stuff piled everywhere and guys sitting around BSing. Their business model is "we got anything you want, it just might take us a while to find it."

Take care, and have a good trip.

Catoosa

Yea, I know the Reloader's Bench...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 21:18 (3942 days ago) @ Catoosa

Used to go in there when they first opened. I use to inspect all the bridges in Wilson County. I'd planned to stop in there, I'm hoping they have a set of 270WSM dies, I can't find them anywhere, even stopped by Wideners in Johnson City when I was up there last week, and they didn't have them. I have to attend the Tennessee Archery Association annual meeting on Saturday, I'm the East Tennessee board member. Might stay overnight in Music City, I need a fix from Prince's Hot Chicken Shack.

Yea, I know the Reloader's Bench...

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 21:49 (3942 days ago) @ pokynojoe

If you figure on getting to Lebanon about lunchtime Saturday and want to meet me somewhere for a burger, let me know and I'll e-mail you my phone number.

No can do...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 22:11 (3942 days ago) @ Catoosa

I'll be in meetings from 10:00AM until 3:00PM. Only get short break for lunch. The meeting is at the Hampton Inn and Suites near the airport on Donaldson Pike. I'm hoping to stop at the Reloader's Bench on my way in, if I get out of here early, and I remember the time change, and my old truck don't break down. If not I'll run out there when everyone's at lunch, it's close enough. Might have to catch up with you next time I'm down that way.

No can do...

by Catoosa, Friday, December 13, 2013, 18:05 (3941 days ago) @ pokynojoe

OK. Hope ya have a good trip.

RSS Feed of thread