Lee J. - found the reference in Paulson's book.

by John K., Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 17:54 (3944 days ago)

Under the chapter heading "THE HUSH PUPPY".

"The Hush Puppy was issued with a modified, steel framed Smith & Wesson Model 39 pistol. The Navy named the experimental eight-shot weapon the WOX-13A Pistol. It featured elevated sights to see over the suppressor, a threaded 5 inch barrel and a detachable tubular shoulder stock....

...Lee Juras of the Super Vel Cartridge Corporation developed a 159gr FMJ bullet for this system....

By the end of 1968, Smith & Wesson had developed an improved pistol with double column, 13 round magazine to solve these problems."

So you can see how/why I was curious.

John K.

Lee J. - found the reference in Paulson's book.

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 20:06 (3944 days ago) @ John K.

Well John at the time many of these things become just part of the days work. Bringing some of these things gets my mind working as to details, many overlap. The Navy gun was brought to my shop by an employee of Naval Intelligence. Load developments were done, Hush Puppy does not ring any bell, Nor, does the model number of the gun. I know from trips to the Smith factory and discussing it with various members of the team I was told about the developmental work and the prices involved. It turned out the Navy paid for the developmental cost of what turned out to be the civilian Model, the Mod 59. A 159 gr. bullet might have been discussed but as I remember, never used.
I also remember they wanted a black tip designated bullet. I suggested the use of a black tip might become confusing to an end user. The black tip usually designated AP
That confused the issue and required several phone calls to Washington DC It was
decided to leave it alone t this time as this ammo was to be used in testing, and a new designation would be made for the next contract. A real cluster fu--. :-(

Interesting, and thank you.

by John K., Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 20:24 (3944 days ago) @ Lee J.

I have seen references to green AND black tips to indicate the Mk 144 heavy subsonic loads.

Also would like to thank you for all your contributions to the industry and your willingness to share memories!

Very interesting to get the perspective...

by Brian A, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 08:57 (3944 days ago) @ Lee J.

of someone actually involved, not just the one-sided research of someone who was not there at the time. Thank you for sharing your memories.

RSS Feed of thread