Remington 510 fix on headspace

by stonewalrus, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 18:14 (3947 days ago)

Sho nuff the no go gauge said I had a headspace problem on the 22 munchkin rifle and the shim fixed it just fine. Pretty simple fix versus a high dollar gunsmith fix.

Excellent!

by John K., Saturday, December 07, 2013, 19:12 (3947 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I would expect accuracy to improve as well.

by Murphy @, Sunday, December 08, 2013, 11:36 (3946 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Gald to hear you found a cure for the problem.

I found an old 513 Remington about 8 months ago. Those old single shot Remingtons are pure fun. I looked around and found a Lyman peep sight and had my gunsmith mount it on it. It ain't purty, but it goes where I tell it to.

Another major plus is a brick of .22's go a long ways with a single shot. I can't think of a better first .22 for a kid (or a truck gun for hoots).

Murphy

I bought a Winchester Model 47 this past summer and

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, December 08, 2013, 14:29 (3946 days ago) @ Murphy

have had more fun shooting that gun than many others in a long time. I almost hate to pass it to the grandchildren!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I'm real pleased with how this "custom" rifle turned out

by stonewalrus, Sunday, December 08, 2013, 14:38 (3946 days ago) @ Murphy

Has a William's rear and front sight so it has real sights too (I jb welded them on...gasp!). I think we will all have a lot of fun with it. I also sort of inherited an old Remington pump 22 that is a whole lot of fun to shoot. My brother found it in an attic of a house they were renovating - practically shot himself with it (didn't have enough sense to see if it was loaded) and it ended up at my house. You can go through ammo with that one though!

by Catoosa, Sunday, December 08, 2013, 20:00 (3946 days ago) @ Murphy

I have one of those old Remington single shots with an interisting story. It belonged to my wife's late father. The sear was worn and he had bought another rifle and stashed the old Remington in the attic many years ago. When I came along I dug the thing out and recut the sear notch so it was safe to shoot, but somewhere along the way about 8 inches in the middle of the barrel had rusted and pitted and it would not stay on a 5-gallon bucket at 50 feet.

A couple of years ago I got a wild hair and decided to make a smoothbore out of it to shoot .22 shot shells. I glued sandpaper around a mild steel rod and went to work on the bore. After an hour or so of sanding I had removed the rust and quite a bit of the remaining rifling. While resting my arm I decided to try a few rounds out of curiosity. Long story short, that rifle will now shoot about as well as I can shoot an iron-sighted rifle with my old eyes. I guess it doesn't take a lot of rifling to stabilize a .22LR bullet.

Wish I could find a firing pin fix for a Stevens 87J

by rob @, Sunday, December 08, 2013, 23:43 (3946 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Had a broke pin in it when I acquired it, bought a pin and hammer kit from Numrich and fitted it. Then found out it had a chamber burr so bought the chamber iron and fixed that. Then it fed and fired but wouldn't extract. I came to the conclusion the pin had to retract or it couldn't extract the round from the chamber so it had to have some free movement in the bolt. Removed just enough from the rear to give it that and make sure it has free movement and now it feeds and ejects and refuses to dent the rim enough for ignition. Makes me want to go buy spare 10/22 and forget this thing:)

The fix consisted of a shim for radio control trucks

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 20:31 (3943 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Ordered from www.amainhobbies.com Kyosho shim set. 0.1 and 0.2 mm shim rings for $5. Used one 0.1 m shim in the middle of the bolt. Hardest part was reassembling due to the spring in the bolt - takes three hands!

RSS Feed of thread