'Tis the season - "EBR" or "EWR" - which and why?

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 06:04 (4621 days ago)

'Tis that time of the political scene in which people start getting nervacious about the possibility of "The U.S. as we have known it" sinking into that bottomless abyss of history into which past civilizations have sunk due to the idiocy of their constituents. (Now that I re-read that line, especially the part about idiocy of constituents, my calm feels a slight breeze of uncertainty itself! It's pretty bad when the writer of the story has to look under the bed before putting out the light...)

Anyway, I know it's the consensus of many on this board that the EBR in the form of an AR15 style/type/model/clone is the Non Plus Ultra of "battle rifle evolution". And there are always proponents of the U.S.S.R.'s "always go bang even when full of reinforced concrete" AK family. But Byron's use of the first mentioned family upon unsuspecting members of the family Cervidae notwithstanding, there are those of us that prefer a more substantial round than the ubiquitous 5.56X45 NATO/223 Remington. As the wag said, "Double taps are for sissy rounds". And of course there's the small matter of glorified plastic and ultra-thick cast aluminum foil construction. It may be durable, but it sure does little or nothing for the soul. Blued steel and walnut or other non-laminated wood simply say "Here is a work of art that can also provide defense and sustenance gathering capabilities." And parkerizing is only a slight step down from there.

So, if one were to desire an EBR or EWR (evil walnut rifle) that is not of the AR15 or AK47 families nor is of the 5.56X45 or 7.62X39 calibers, what options are there, and what would YOU choose? Why?

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 07:11 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

I love my Garands, but an M-1A always does something for me as well, and has a detachable mag. If walnut is not a requirement then an FAL is a favorite too.

I have spent actual dollars on an M1 Garand and a an AR-15

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 07:19 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

type rifle.

I had a veteran describe multiple ice-pick like complete penetrations of aggressive humans who was able to and did switch to a 7.62 NATO rifle. AFAIK, he was using the 62 gr. military load for the AR. BUT, the AR is ubiquitous and supportable, the M1 is much less so now.

I also have 2 .303 No. 4 rifles. ;-)

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by cubrock, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 07:54 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

I have already made that choice - Marlin 1894C, pre-safety, in .357 Magnum. If 10 rounds of .357 don't do it for me, nothing will. It is a soul stirring gun and round with plenty of punch. Will do for anything here in the East, two legged or four. Fast. Reliable. And, doesn't look "evil" and hardly gets a second glance around here. A lever action used to be hanging in the back of every pick-up truck. While those days are gone, the memory of them is not and folks don't pay a lot of attention to them, other than to stop and ask what you have.

Plus, I can cast bullets for it, have lots of brass and other components, and can find them a whole lot cheaper than a good AR or AK. Finally, I have companion side arms that share the ammo and are no slouches by themselves.

Hard to imagine a better combo going into the "end of the world" than a Blackhawk and a Marlin in .357.

EBR is a matter of interpretation...

by Sarge, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 08:25 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

I like an Easy-handling Brown Rifle, myself ;)

[image]

Mine are FBR and FWR

by brionic @, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 09:28 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

Friendly Black and Walnut Rifles.

I'm thinking about Krags and single shots recently, speaking of friendly rifles.

Mine are FBR and FWR

by Catoosa, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 10:54 (4621 days ago) @ brionic

I grew up (high school ROTC on) with the M1 Garand and M14. The M16 was just coming into service during that time, and I just never developed an affection for it.

Now I have a good Garand, but in truth it is excessively powerful to be a practical utility/defense rifle for where I live. I have therefore acquired a somewhat tricked-out Mini-14 that is ideal for around here. The .223 is no battle round IMHO, but it's cheap and easy to find, and with expanding bullets it does not bounce into the next county when it hits the ground.

If I lived in more open country, a M1A with as much weight pared off of it as possible, a rugged, low-power optical sight, and a stock of reliable 20-round magazines would be my choice.

Catoosa

P.S. I also have a Norinco SKS Para carbine (short barrel version) with a nonfolding Choate stock and Williams aperture/firesight front combo. Standard 10-round magazine. Shorter than a Winchester M94 and weighs only a few ounces more. The poster child for rugged simplicity and reliability. Cheap (relatively) and ammo is everywhere. If it was all I had to fight with, I wouldn't go hide under a rock.

Brian, a Krag and a single shot (or two) could make it to AR

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 10:59 (4621 days ago) @ brionic

Just name a caliber and we could make it happen (probably).

Any quality rifle is closer to an AR than a Liberator pistol

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 11:23 (4621 days ago) @ Hoot
edited by Hobie, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 14:21

[image]

Operator skill, planning and a bit of daring might weigh into it as well.

PS - "quality" means it works, every time AND it stands up to use and abuse.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Might-a, should-a said, "make it to CSA..."

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 11:26 (4621 days ago) @ Hobie

I "suffer" from a non-AR(15) brain. I keep thinking I should get one but I keep buying something else....

There's nothing wrong with that. After I sold my first one

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 13:53 (4621 days ago) @ Hoot

it was 14 years before I had ANY desire to get another and then only because of a certain public office holder.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hoot, you've always brought the good stuff

by brionic @, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 12:24 (4621 days ago) @ Hoot

First year we were there, it was the little stag gripped Bearcat that you let Orson shoot. That got us thinking about Bearcats.

Last year, the Stevens Favorite was his favorite. That got us thinking about those neat little rifles.

Now we're talking Krags, and I understand that's a DEEP hole to climb out of ;)

Seriously, I'm all ears, or eyes. I'm looking forward to seeing you.
--
Br.

I have a JWAR - John Wayne Assault Rifle (Rossi 92 in 357)

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 11:49 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

I do own an SKS and a good old M1 carbine. Thought of getting a high cap mag for my Rem pump in 30-06 but doubt they are reliable.

I have a JWAR - John Wayne Assault Rifle (Rossi 92 in 357)

by JLF @, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 12:27 (4621 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Contrary to current tactical sheepdip, a good ol' M1 Carbine will dot a lot of eyes in a short amount of time with total reliability, and exhibit some class while doing it.

JLF

softpoints or hollowpoints make the M1 carbine a whole

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 15:09 (4621 days ago) @ JLF

Differerent critter. I just the ammo were cheaper.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 07:07 (4620 days ago) @ stonewalrus

+1 on the carbine, especially with SPs or HPs. Shim the rear tang tenon so it's tight, and the durn little things will usually shoot surprisingly well.

by bob @, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 13:15 (4620 days ago) @ Catoosa

110gr soft point over h110 or 296, i think it is, will group tiny tiny from my marlin levermatic.

I have a selection of all manner of posible defense rifles,

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 13:14 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

it would be hard to pick just one. However, for close range, I might go with my 45 ACP carbine with 30 round mags which also goes with my 1911's, the M1 Carbine for the wife because its easy to handle and reliable, then maybe the M1A for power and reach. Or maybe... It would depend on home or mobile use. Portability might point to light cartridges and weapons.

by Woodswalker ⌂ @, the Great North'Wet', Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 13:25 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

I have the nice, sturdy M-1A, with a good scope, bipod and a decent supply of magazines. I also have a short AR, 4 place stock and lots of mags.

I'm too old to run/gun...so I'll sit tight and do the damage from afar thankeeverymuch.

--
Reheating pizza – sheesh. Totally destroys the delicate flavor.

A Smith and Wesson beats 5 aces...

Woodswalker AKA AaronE

I got my guns for fun...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 14:37 (4621 days ago) @ Woodswalker

But, they, any of them, will do in a pinch and I won't be running much either no matter what as I can't run so well anymore. Then again, kneeling hurts more than running...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I got my guns for fun...

by Woodswalker ⌂ @, the Great North'Wet', Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 14:52 (4621 days ago) @ Hobie

Mine are for fun too....meebeso Dual Purpose. I like punching paper WAY out there as a personal test. "Can I put it all together", usually the answer is "Yes".

My elder son is more into the 5.56 AR sort of rifle...and scoffs at the "old man" until I blow up the bucket of water that is out 600 yards....

--
Reheating pizza – sheesh. Totally destroys the delicate flavor.

A Smith and Wesson beats 5 aces...

Woodswalker AKA AaronE

by Miles, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 15:40 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

I always recommend both in the golf bag.

However, if you can only have one, you get a AR.

Mags, ammo and parts are 'available in mass quantites'.

Took out my old Colt shorty yesterday and

by brionic @, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 17:36 (4621 days ago) @ Miles

I can't think of a handier little carbine - except my Marlin shorty ;)

Seriously, it runs like a Swiss watch - I have thought about changing it, but I don't want to mess with a good thing.

I keep threatening to build some manner of flat topped fancy gun, but I can't think of a way to improve on this one. Maybe a thousand dollar optic would change my opinion.

got one like that, and feel the same.

by cable, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 19:27 (4621 days ago) @ brionic

reliable, handy, and i just trust it.

Like a Swiss watch.......

by Byron, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 20:21 (4621 days ago) @ cable

[image]
Wood is nice....not required....

Many other combinations will fit the need for a practical rifle depending on where one lives. A 5.56mm autoloader and 7.62mm carbine cover most bases....

Byron

Fancier than mine, but the same platforms

by brionic @, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 09:46 (4620 days ago) @ Byron

Mine are more vanilla than yours, but are 99% similar.

My only grudges with my Steyr: I wish I had jumped on one of the smaller walnut stocks, and I wish the action were 1% looser for easier cycling.

Good stuff.

Fancier than mine, but the same platforms

by bj @, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 10:13 (4620 days ago) @ brionic

and I wish the action were 1% looser for easier cycling

I've been told to slather the action in JB bore paste and cycle it "1000 times". If I was doing it myself I might take it a bit slower so as not to overdo things.

Interesting... makes sense . I will have to consider.

by brionic @, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 11:04 (4620 days ago) @ bj

It's a lot easier to jump in to the JB/CLP sludge routine on a basic 1911 than on a nice rifle, but I see the point.

Thx for the suggestion!

I used to have an old pre-forward assist SP-1 carbine...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 20:07 (4621 days ago) @ brionic

That was a great gun. Still, it is one of the few guns I've ever sold and the only one I didn't absolutely have to sell.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Corderhorse, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 18:29 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

Well, I can dream up my "ideal" rifle in a hurry, but that doesn't help with the real world.
Whatever platform you have onhand with fodder to feed it, combined with the ability to apply it. That is the choice.
If you are in an area that necessitates ammo availbility, you better have the platform to fire it. Whether it is a 5.56, 7.62x39, 30-30, 40 S&W, or 458 Win etc.

you guys have restored my faith

by bj @, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 20:23 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

The fist 2 things that came to my mind when I saw this thread were "M1A" and "lever gun". But someone mentioned M1 carbine and I think that is a good choice too. I first fired an M1 carbine many years ago and I've always liked them, but I'm not sure what an M1 carbine will do that a good 16" AR won't do.

Navy SEAL & Marine Scout Sniper friends use AR 15s

by Well known here, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 22:16 (4621 days ago) @ Paul

They helped push me over the edge in favor of the Made by Metal Poodle shooter...for point black to a couple hundred yards. A DSA at 999.00 is hard to beat for a 7.62x51 rifle. You can purchase wood furniture separately, and have a classy Strong Right Arm of Freedom.

by Frank McClelland @, LOWELL Michigan, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 03:47 (4620 days ago) @ Paul

Paul get a AR 15. I have most of the other rifles, and a good bit of ammo for them , but when the flag go`s up I`ll have a AR in My hands:-D

SKS. I know, 7.62x39, but very PC and rugged. Cheap, too.NT

by traveler, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 06:56 (4620 days ago) @ Paul

nt

SKS. I know, 7.62x39, but very PC and rugged. Cheap, too.NT

by Catoosa, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 08:03 (4620 days ago) @ traveler

If I was in need of a home defense rifle and on a tight budget, I think I would get one of the Romanian SKSs, strip off the grenade sights and launcher, ditch the bayonet if there was one, and set it up in a nylon stock of whatever style I preferred. Add some better iron sights, an aftermarket bolt cover with a rail to take a compact, rugged optical sight, a sling, and LOTS of practice ammo.

Worst things about the as-issued SKS are the poor sights and the crummy stock. Replace those and it's a whole different shooter. I hated my Para when I first bought it, but once I had replaced the stock and sights it became one of my favorite rifles.

Agree.......

by Byron, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 10:21 (4620 days ago) @ Catoosa

[image]

RSS Feed of thread