Laser Sight

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, December 05, 2013, 14:59 (3949 days ago)

New experience for me today. I bought a CT railmaster and tried it out on my XDM 5.25 9mm today. I was surprised at the quality of the resulting 7 yd groups using the sight to shoot with. Although not tight, the groups were all in the black of a 25 yd target. I had expected to see a lot of wobble, from watching others shoot with lasers, but I did not see that, except in recoil. 98% of the shots were center hits just above the aim point, not much horizontal spread. I'll have to see how this progresses. Anyone what to share their experience ?

I find that lasers really help you "learn your wobble". (nm)

by Boge Quinn, Thursday, December 05, 2013, 15:32 (3949 days ago) @ Cherokee

:-)

Not only that....

by Glen, Thursday, December 05, 2013, 17:41 (3949 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

....but they can be a great teaching tool to teach a new shooter what a "wobble zone" is, and then help them learn to control it and shoot with it.

Yep. They have taught me a lot. I already knew...

by Boge Quinn, Thursday, December 05, 2013, 21:06 (3949 days ago) @ Glen

...I can't shoot, but the laser shows why.

Not pinpoint accuracy but like you said

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 05, 2013, 18:03 (3949 days ago) @ Cherokee

pretty decent accuracy for the purpose intended. My problem has been sighting them in. From the factory they were nowhere close even though Crimson Trace says sighted in at 50 ft from the factory.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, December 05, 2013, 19:25 (3949 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I adjusted the sight in my basement at ~25 ft, wasn't that far off, to co-witness with the notmal sights. It was right on at the range.

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 05, 2013, 19:37 (3949 days ago) @ Cherokee

That's what I had to do was bring them to the sights. It doesn't work to try to change them at the range by where you are hitting, at least for me.

Laser Sight

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, December 06, 2013, 07:16 (3949 days ago) @ Cherokee

I have CT grips on my S&W 442. I have a. Hard time seeing it on brighter days but that's not what it's really for. I use mine a lot for dry fire and point shooting practice at home. Pulling the revolver up and pointing at a light switch or door knob and then activating the laser to see how close I really am to hitting the target. Dry fire with a laser will definitely show you the issues you have with grip, trigger pull, etc.

I became a believer in Laser Sights a few years ago

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 19:59 (3947 days ago) @ Cherokee

A friend asked me to help her find a gun and learn to shoot. So I took a few guns along and we went to the indoor range. She couldn't manage the slide on my M&P 9 compact or my Kahr 9mm, and preferred the J frame revolvers.

A couple of days later she called and wanted to go shoot her new gun. I had no idea she would move this fast. Anyway she bought a S&W 642 with the Crimson Trace laser grip. I hadn't seen one before and was curious about it, but thought she should learn to shoot without it. So we left it turned off.

She could barely keep five rounds on paper of a standard silhouette target at 7 yards. Turns out she couldn't see the sights well at all and was just pointing it at the target.

So we tried the laser, and it was like magic. I had put some postage stamp size pasters over the bullet holes on the target, and she could now hit or nearly hit an individual paster with every shot. I was amazed. She went from barely on the paper to hitting a postage stamp 3 out of 5 shots.

So I bought a Crimson Trace grip for my full size M&P 9. And later bought one for a 629 Mountain Gun. I've used the one on the Mountain Gun to take a couple of feral hogs. Laid the red dot on their head and squeezed one off, bang flop, dead hog.

Now that I think about it, I need to get CT grips for a couple other guns.

RSS Feed of thread