Vis-a vis concealed carry discussion -- new gun...

by John Meeker @, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 16:46 (3953 days ago)

My tac-shooter nephew in law has kept trying to drag me into the 21st century, hence the AR's-tryout business, and owning a Glock Nine & etc. Almost feel like I'm obligated to set up a full combat-vest rig, incl ballistic armor, just to answer the door -- or I'm just not doing my part to keep the neighborhood safe. And in truth, if I didn't think there was a bit of possible reality in doing that, I'd rather have put the money into blue steel, walnut and all that old-fashioned sporting stuff. And etc, .....which goods would need taking care of..and etc, Ad Nauseum.

Soooo...Nephew has really kept reminding me what a great carry gun, is the S-W Shield -- in 9MM Modern Loads. Mind you, I have had and liked divers Semi's, but...no thrill. No different than using a good tiller to plow the garden vs a two-hand and a foot spade. Question of how big is the expected garden?

Gander's Thanksgiving sale allotment of fifty arrived; had a pre-arranged a counter guy I know there to alert me. Got one of the last four, the others having zipped out in sweaty-hot hands in less than 48 hrs.

Gotta say -- they are very flat, and with the extendo mag, fit quite well into my shooting grip. Report will follow, tho in the midst of the "Can I have Granny's rocker re-done by Christmas' rush. Not as bad in other years, since I took to giving out realistic wait times: "Yup, by Easter, in time for next Christmas.'

Now I hafta find plain stocks for the fancy .357 Marlin; just too danged mint -- and thick to suit me. hate to start using it, but they ar a lot of fun, and I'll let the estate worry about 'condition'. Well, dang -- here I went and wrote another longish keyboard exercise, but if this hobby..unh...obsession..unh ---- madness WASN'T fun then why bother. Just turn on the brain-sucking box in the living room and watch Miley cyrus on the 'Nets - yeah,. right.

We have a hard time keeping the Shield in stock here....

by Otony, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 17:21 (3953 days ago) @ John Meeker

.....received nine last week, and I believe we are down to three as of yesterday. This in a town of 33,000 population.

I have been playing with all the small Nines in the shop, and if the Shield had been equipped with an ambi safety, or better yet no safety, it would undoubtedly have been my first choice.

Otony

Shield safety -- upgrade would be welcome...

by John Meeker @, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 18:04 (3953 days ago) @ Otony

That miniature safety lever bothers me a bit.. there should be an after market along pretty soon to fix that munchkin size lever. Or, it'll get a home drilled and tapped checkered plate -- whichever comes first.

Shield safety -- upgrade would be welcome...

by Otony, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 18:21 (3953 days ago) @ John Meeker

Yup, we hear that aplenty! I'm a lefty, so it bothers me even more. That is one of the reasons I was/am/still considering the Walther PPS. It has no safety (and frankly, an atrocious trigger pull) . I've also been eyeing the Taurus G2 111 which also comes with a right hand only safety, but one that is far more intelligently sized. It is quite a bit easier for a lefty to manipulate.

I see no problem with you building the safety up. Honestly surprised someone hasn't yet offered an aftermarket suv for it.

Otony

Shield safety ; don't use it...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 20:16 (3953 days ago) @ Otony

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Shield safety ; don't use it...YES.....

by Otony, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 20:33 (3953 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I tell folks at the shop that a LOT. My concern is that it might get wiped on, and as a lefty it would be bad juju. Of course one could lock it off as easily as build it up but THAT would sure look ugly in court.

Otony

or the XDs...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 20:35 (3953 days ago) @ Otony

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

The M & P Compact can be had with an ambi safety

by stonewalrus, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 21:35 (3953 days ago) @ Otony

I have one. Good size safety too.

RSS Feed of thread