Trivia time

by Catoosa, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 19:18 (4623 days ago)

Well, it's halftime and I ain't gonna insult my eyeballs by makin' 'em watch Madonna, so let's play trivia:

In Russell's iconic painting, "The Smoke of a 'Forty-five'", which appears on the cover of Keith's "Sixguns", has anyone noticed what's wrong in that scene?

How many legs does the last horse on the right have?

by anachronism, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 19:56 (4623 days ago) @ Catoosa

I'm thinking either five or six

How many legs does the last horse on the right have?

by Catoosa, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 20:01 (4623 days ago) @ anachronism

Close, but no seegar....

Trivia time

by Harry O, Monday, February 06, 2012, 11:49 (4622 days ago) @ Catoosa

How about the last guy trying to escape. It looks like he caught his foot in the stirrup and was dragged under the wooden tie-frame. The blood trail goes from where he is at back under the tie-frame. How did he get his foot under the tie-frame and into the stirrup before he was shot off the horse?

Trivia time

by jerry b, Monday, February 06, 2012, 18:56 (4622 days ago) @ Catoosa

Well, being generally contrary, I didn't watch no super bowl. Can I still play?

It looks to me like if the guy who go his foot tangled up in the stirrup had actually mounted his horse successfully, he'd have been facing to the rear.

Did I get it?

Trivia time

by jerry b, Monday, February 06, 2012, 19:11 (4622 days ago) @ jerry b

I think I'm wrong. Rope, not stirrup.

RE:Trivia time

by Drago, Monday, February 06, 2012, 23:05 (4622 days ago) @ Catoosa

Answer Please.

by Catoosa, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 09:44 (4621 days ago) @ Drago

Well, Jerry B nailed it, but it seems we were BOTH wrong. Unless you look real close, it appears that the cowboy on the ground has his right foot in the left stirrup. That's what I thought. Upon closer inspection (thanks to anachronism's comment causing me to count horse legs), it appears that what looks like a fifth leg is actually the stirrup dangling under the horse's belly. The man has his spur caught in the lariat tied on the left side of his saddle.

It looks now as if he actually got into the saddle before he was hit, and fell off to the left, catching his spur as his boot came over.

Russell would never have made a mistake like that in one of his paintings. I first thought he must have done it on purpose, but now it appears that it was just his incredible eye for detail.

by jerry b, Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 16:15 (4621 days ago) @ Catoosa

I wonder if he actually witnessed the exact scenarios he painted, or if he used imagination for the most part. If I was there while that scene was going on, I'd have run for cover instead of standing there taking in the details. Artists sure are dedicated....or nuts....or both, probably works best. Stand around watching gunfights, chopping off your ears, stuff like that.

RSS Feed of thread