problem with the munchkin rifle

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 17:53 (3958 days ago)

I made up a youth model rifle for my 6 yr old using a Remington 510. I had a new barrel installed and cut back. The problem is we are getting misfires even with CCI. Always fires by putting the shell back in and trying again wondering if it is weak spring, chamber space problem or what. Any ideas?

I would try a No-Go gauge first, particularly since the

by John K., Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 18:12 (3958 days ago) @ stonewalrus

barrel was replaced. Excessive headspace can easily cause this problem.

Firing pin

by uncowboy, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 19:54 (3958 days ago) @ John K.

Excessive dry firing can cause the firing pin to blunt out. Very common on Rugers. If the case has an excessively large hit Re square and flatten the face of the pin where it strikes the case. DONT SHORTEN. Just make it a bit narrower. J.Michael

I would try a No-Go gauge first, particularly since the

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 20:07 (3958 days ago) @ John K.

If it is headspace, what is the cure without getting complicated and expensive? I don't remember ever having a problem with the old barrel so I fear it is headspace (I drew a blank on the term and said chamber space).

Just a suspicion at this point, as mentioned.

by John K., Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 20:49 (3958 days ago) @ stonewalrus

It could be something simple, like a spring or firing pin tip as JMichael mentioned. But it is highly suspicious that it appeared after a barrel replacement.

Can you post a pic of a fired case?

Was accuracy poor when shooting it? Sometimes indicative of excessive headspace as ignition is erratic.

no luck on the picture with my camera

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 21:14 (3958 days ago) @ John K.

There a rectangular firing pin strike but it is a very shallow indentation.

problem with the munchkin rifle

by Catoosa, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 17:38 (3957 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Tom, I just looked at some of those cases and the pin strikes are fairly well shaped, just very light. Even the ones that fired the first time have very shallow indentations. On the ones that had to be hit twice, the first mark is almost not there.

The case heads do not appear to be expanded as I would expect if there was too much headspace.

Which suggests some options...

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, November 28, 2013, 10:41 (3956 days ago) @ Catoosa

• Ensure there's no crud that would not allow the firing pin to travel fully forward.

• put a bit of "pre-load" on the existing spring by placing a shim (washer of some sort) to enhance the power of the spring.

• Install a new spring.

Found an article on Remington 500 series about putting a

by stonewalrus, Thursday, November 28, 2013, 13:11 (3956 days ago) @ Paul

Shim in the bolt. Sounded like a pretty simple fix. Apparently pretty common when changing barrels in them.

Time to get him his first AR.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 21:19 (3957 days ago) @ stonewalrus

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I don't even have MY first AR

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 22:03 (3957 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Do have a 223 brass slinger though...:-D

RSS Feed of thread