Thoughts, please?

by Byron, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 11:25 (3958 days ago)

I posted earlier a question on the different head space between the "Modern Technique" (living in orange, situational awareness) and reactive training.

It seemed that the board leaned toward situational awareness to a level that they would not be surprised. I have been in both Modern Technique classes and reaction classes and feel that the latter is more realistic in preparing one for an armed encounter.

Comments on this please.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?108716-If-Force-on-Force-is-so-vital-why-does...

Byron

I'll go there but in my experience, no matter how

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 12:20 (3958 days ago) @ Byron
edited by Hobie, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 12:34

aware you are you can be surprised. IOW, one can not be aware of everything at all times. When that happens you need to be physically and mentally prepared to act and not in shock. This applies to any emergency such as car wreck, wife's sudden (to you) labor, neighbor's child face down in your pool as well as a physical attack.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I'll go there but in my experience, no matter how

by Charles, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 14:05 (3958 days ago) @ Hobie

Yep...I have always thought that there are two kinds of people those that react to a bad situation and those who respond to the same situation.

Those that react sometimes do the right thing, but others often do not, this goes all the way from pissing in their pants to taking appropriate action. A reaction is uncontrolled.

A response on the other had is controlled and thoughtful. It can take place as quickly as a reaction if a person is so given.

Training is a good thing, but when surprised by a sudden event some folks can't function no matter how well trained they are.

Someday, I will tell you the story of an Air Force Major, who was a SAC 5-52 pilot flying nukes to the fail safe point toward Russia. When faced with a scary situation in South America, he crawled under a tarp and hid. This was not a tactic but a reaction of utter fear. I had the dickens of a time, talking him out. I never felt good about our "nuclear deterrent" after that.

Brain freeze -- body immobility: had it happen...

by John Meeker @, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 20:10 (3958 days ago) @ Hobie

under adverse circumstances. PO'd me enough to 'work' on it, but I think it takes a high level of regular training conditioning to counter-act that reflex. When I see/feel untoward 'shix', I make strong eye-contact with the source, and move to an advantageous position. dunno if it does any good, but haven't had a repeat of that 'deer frozen in the headlights' moment, either. Not to seem overboard, but "I'm y'r Huckleberry" body and eyes says volumes, if y'r not stupid about employing it.

Thoughts, please?

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 18:20 (3958 days ago) @ Byron

Mind set is so important. You have to have already made the decision to "do" whatever it takes rather than spending time thinking about it. Training provides the basis for that "do" but one has to be prepared to actually do whatever.
Awareness is my state, I believe I have made the deision to do whatever it takes. If I am surprised, I'll deal with the situation as best I can, but I try not to be surprised.

Driving.

by JLF @, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 20:19 (3958 days ago) @ Byron

Driving is a good metaphor. If you don't know where every car is around you, and keep track as some fall away, and new ones join in, then you are asking to be surprised by a stupid. It's a running narrative in your head, barely noticeable, but always there. In this manner, potentially dangerous situations are seen *before* they materialize, and you change lanes, speed, or whatever to avoid their possiblility. Needless to say, this is far more difficult if you are distracted by a cell phone, a conversation with your passenger, a fight with the old lady that morning, or the mini-skirt on the corner accross the street. You can dial it up, or dial it back, depending on conditions, but if you are actually *driving*, it never leaves your head.

JLF

Good analogy.

by John K., Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 20:38 (3958 days ago) @ JLF

I'm always amazed at those drivers on the 4-lane closing fast on a slower vehicle; at the last minute hitting the brakes, matching speed, and then checking the next lane to see if they can move over to pass... and then changing lanes right in front of you. Obliviot is a good term for them.

I try to manipulate the cruise setpoint faster or slower to avoid discombobulating other traffic.

Back on the original subject - anyone can be taken out. Unless you have a Secret Service detail maintaining a perimeter, you can be had rather easily.

Good analogy. I agree...It's easy to stay in an aware mode

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:52 (3957 days ago) @ John K.

when out and about...BUT, there are times when one can/ will be blind sided. I went on a visit to Phx yesterday. No one got close without me being aware, but I realized that there were several times that I had my back to folks by necessity...Man that city has slid down hill...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by mcassill, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 14:57 (3957 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Fully agree. True 360 degree security is a team effort

by Catoosa, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 17:15 (3957 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

My wife used to question me because I almost always walk 1/1 at her 7 o'clock when we are on the street, instead of abreast with her. I guess she finally got used to it, after a "disadvantaged person" tried to aggressively panhandle her one morning on our way to work, and I got between him and her before she knew he was there.

RSS Feed of thread