Training for real world risk...

by Byron, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 15:54 (3965 days ago)

Reading with interest our colleague's encounter in the barber shop and the boards responses, one must ask, "why carry an unloaded gun in the most inaccessible place possible. The answer is that our friend never really, really, truly really thought the matter through or went through the time and effort to understand how things play out and what is needed to make them go right.

A lesson learned.

My question to the board is, "what realistic training has the board done to reduce their risk (and their family's) to harm in the cold cruel world.

Looking at where danger comes from "out there" the major risk to life and limb is simply driving your car down the road. Who has taken a real deal $$$ defensive driving school designed to save your life on the road? I had driven for 40 years without an accident and 20 years without a moving violation but when I bought the Corvette my wife insisted that I take a weekend high performance driving school. A three day weekend in Las Vegas at Bondurant's High Performance Driving School changed the way I look down the road. A peek at 170MPH just changed my headspace behind the wheel. Who has taken a driving school to make them a better driver and reduce the biggest risk they all see day to day? What did it bring to them?

Much talk is about presenting a confident manner and situational awareness. The philosophy of The Chairman's "Modern Technique" is to be proactive and live in condition "Orange" in order to be good to go if threatened. In the real world this is not reasonable. Regardless, most threats will come out of the blue at very close range and find you standing there wondering what is happening. With this in mind, it makes sense one should train reactively instead of proactively. If one has done force on force it becomes clear that to "stand and deliver" will get you shot almost every time. However, if one is conditioned to aggressively jump laterally while drawing a sidearm and shooting a rapid one hand burst at their man they will most likely not be hit and in fact shoot their attacker more often than not. An unloaded pistol in a pocket is no gun and no more effective than a harsh word while carrying all the liability of a gun with none of the benefit. A couple of force on force drills would make this clear. Who has taken any force on force close range training? What did it bring to the game?

Many modern trainers who have studied how interpersonal violence goes understands that many times there is a period of hands on and the outcome of the encounter depends on who can gain control of their man first. Going back to force on force, many times it is better to get hands on instead of going for a weapon if your man is within 5 feet or so. This requires a increased level of physical fitness and some (not of lot)combatives training. A YMCA trained boxer who spars for an hour Saturday morning can knock out most bad guys so fast they have no idea what happened. Who maintains a healthy (or high) level of fitness and spends some time in a combatives room and how has it changed their outlook on life?

Who has looked into this instead of being comfortable with their pistol?

Byron

by uncowboy, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 16:26 (3965 days ago) @ Byron

You are right Not much to add. When Mr .Quinn was assaulted at the ATM. Going for a gun was the last thing needed. Left hand on his(bad guys) gun while right hand on your gun would have ended the confrontation. At one of the Noreasters years ago , A member showed a mouse gun he carried. I told him it was the best example of what not to carry. A gun should get you out of trouble not get you in deeper. I told him ME WITH MY POCKET KNIFE would beat him with his gun in a fight. This was a campfire conversation where all were heard from and feelings were hurt. I stated that the days of a single bad guy with a knife are over. Confrontations will most likely be with multiple bad guys heavily armed. You need something that has the potential to stop someone with one shot, Where I live I don't carry a J frame anymore because it doesn't have enough bangs in it. I shoot a J frame better than most guns made and if confronting 3 people you are lacking.
Later after everyone had time to cool off from the campfire conversation I had two of the people tell me they changed there way of thinking and also changed there carry. One of the things that came up was that I am not superman and if I had a gun on me how was I going to draw and perform ? My answer was to GRAB THE BAD GUY AND START BREAKING PARTS OFF, make the gap you need to draw and perform.
Mind set is the ultimate weapon, All else is supplemented.
J.Michael

Byron, your right on the mark

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 17:03 (3965 days ago) @ Byron

Force on Force training will help a person to live a longer life and enjoy it more. you fight how you have trained. :usa:

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 18:03 (3965 days ago) @ Byron

I agree with what you say. Most people will not do that, and some of us are no longer physically capable of fighting with a younger more powerful man. I decided some time ago that resistance is the way to go, quick and as determined as possible to create space so I can draw my XD9. Better yet, don't let trouble get close enough for personal contact in the first place.

How does one respond to anybody coming up from

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 18:56 (3965 days ago) @ Byron

behind you with the sole aim of knocking you out. It could be anybody but is likely a young male (and not necessarily of a particular ethinicity).

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

How does one respond to anybody coming up from

by Alfred John, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 11:21 (3964 days ago) @ Hobie

Right about the "Knockout Game" I see there is a good item today on the Keep and Bear Arms site. They also mention a book- "White Girl Bleeds A Lot". sounds interesting at least. I just ordered my copy of this book from Amazon. It seems the main stream media and other govt. agencies try to keep these "Knock Out Games" from being published or reported on in an effort to prevent racial "Unrest" between whites and minorities. I also noted some responses about the need for hi capacity magazines as some groups do this as a group and video footage is shot for their bragging rights. Just thought I would mention it. I do like my Hi-Power and Glocks for walking about comfort. Like has been said be aware of your surroundings as much as possible.

Knockout game..........

by Byron, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 11:41 (3964 days ago) @ Alfred John

There is no defense against this type of attack other than not being around when it happens....and this means staying away from areas where there are groups of young black men....not PC but the truth.

First rule in personal safety is don't be in a dumb place whether that be living below sea level waiting for another Katrina or in a city with bands of feral young thugs running around....but I guess some people like living in New Orleans and big cities.....this would not happen in Leavenworth KS...but this is a pretty redneck place...

Of course situational awareness is important and one must be looking around when out and about....sitting with your back to a strong wall and watching the door...etc...

My question was, who has taken formalized training whether a high performance driving school or a force on force gun slinger school to really see what works and what doesn't and in doing so reduces risk all around. My point being the response to a armed attack being to blade your body, a modern technique draw, two hand grip, flash sight picture, fire a controlled pair and access the target instead of jumping hard to the side, jerk the gun and fire a burst into the threat as fast as you can and shoot them to the ground. To stand and deliver will get you shot almost everytime.

Byron

Fighter pilots have a term...

by Catoosa, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 23:36 (3965 days ago) @ Byron

Situational Awareness. Meaning being aware of what is going on around you. It can be as simple as keeping your head on a swivel WHENEVER you are out in public. NEVER look in the same direction for more than four seconds at a time. Look at people around you and notice if they are looking at you. I don't know when or why I first learned to do that, it just seems natural after so many years of doing it.

You will never be able to react fast enough to deflect or defeat a threat if you don't see it coming until it is right in your face. OTOH, predators seem to be acutely aware if YOU are aware of your surroundings and have noticed them. They will usually just pass on by if they have lost the element of surprise.

We get so focused some time we never look around, Over

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 07:44 (3965 days ago) @ Catoosa

the years I have tried to always look alert, looking around, never encumbered so that I can't react to something. Never had a problem, but I don't test it with bad areas either.

by Alfred John, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 11:29 (3964 days ago) @ Byron

Thanks for posting this one Byron. I try to be aware and so and has been mentioned even when trying to be aware things do distract a person. I always like the comment that Bill Jordan made in his book "No Second Place Winners" regarding responding to a gun fight. He was able to draw and fire before the person who was holding a gun at him, before that person could shoot him. He believed if you want to be a real gunny this is what you have to be able to do. I know I sure can not but I saw him do it time after time, he even told the person holding the gun him that he would draw and shoot him before he could get a shot off.
Some good comments out on this one I think. Thanks again, I am rambling too much have a good day.

He who hesitates is lost.

by JLF @, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 13:30 (3964 days ago) @ Byron

Number one thing to train, get yer mind right. Earp, Holiday, Jordan, Askins, and so many more share one thing in common. Deliberate action. All the other technical training is well worth it, for sure, but without a "let's do this" mentality, it might as well be tennis. Many experiments over decades have shown that *reaction time* is an eternity in a gunfight. That originates in the brain, for everybody, and it is precisely why people like Jordan can draw and fire before the person who has the drop on them does. Knowing, and training, on when to "start the ball" is half the battle, the other half wins confrontations, and that is total focus and concentration on whatever your move is, "thoughtless" as it were, and without a nano-second of hesitation. Winning the reaction time duel is huge, and it can save your butt, all-by-itself, in a confrontation where everything else is stacked against you.

JLF

RE the knockout game....

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 14:30 (3964 days ago) @ Byron

Advanced driver traini9ng: good idea I want more.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 15:36 (3964 days ago) @ Byron

for the entire family.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

This is the place.......

by Byron, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 16:01 (3964 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Real life is sranger than you can imagine....

by Harry O-1, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 16:55 (3964 days ago) @ Byron

Since this is at least partially about me, I would like to add a few comments of my own -- and I am not trying to start a fight.

I thought I had a good reason NOT to carry a cartridge in the chamber. Turns out that it was not a good enough reason. But even if I did have one in the chamber, the situation would have been absolutely no different.

I have been going to this barber for at least 30 years. I have seen kids, young people, middle aged people, and old people waiting for a cut. Some have been nicely dressed, some not so nice. There was absolutely nothing (even in retrospect) that told me this guy was different from the many hundreds of people I have seen in his shop before. If that is a failure of "situational awareness" or "condition white", I still don't know what I could have seen that would have tipped me off.

When I first saw the gun, the guy was pointing it at the barber about 15 feet away from me. He IMMEDIATELY turned towards me an walked briskly to about 6 feet away (he must have thought I was a bigger threat). That is about 3 or 4 quick steps. That also tells me that he was not totally inexperienced. He was close enough so that I could reach out and hand him my wallet and he could reach out and take it. It was NOT close enough to grab the gun or sweep it away while I drew my gun with the other hand. That is a "real life" situation that did not happen. Just like the real life situations I practiced that did not happen.

There are also a lot of assumptions that I could not reach the gun in my left front pocket. I have practiced many times drawing with my left hand, wiping off the holster while it is being drawn, and jacking the slide with my right hand, then shooting left handed. I have practiced with my "weak hand" for years and it is not much weaker than my strong hand. However, I was not going to even try that with a gun pointing at my midsection and a finger firmly on the trigger. All it would have taken was a squeeze (or even a jerk) and I would have been hit. I do have a big midsection.

I also have the book, "No Second Place Winner" along with a bunch of other books (anybody remember Chic Gaylord?). If you notice, he was always drawing from an exposed holster with a full sized gun. He was a police officer and was allowed to carry that way. And he was gifted when it came to speed. I am not. The other problem is that there is an anti-gun District Attorney in town that hates guns and gunowners. Before we had legal concealed carry, he (and prior to him, his boss and mentor) would prosecute any otherwise upstanding citizen who used a gun to defend himself against a legitimate criminal. Even if he did not get a conviction, the defense costs would break the gunowner. Now that we have concealed carry (which he testified against several times), he prosecutes anyone who is spotted with a "concealed" gun as "brandishing a weapon". If it is seen in a place with "No Guns Allowed" stickers, he prosecutes it as a felony. A conviction means that you cannot have any guns of any kind afterward.

I would like to carry something like a Ruger LCR revolver. But, I don't know how I can carry it and NEVER have it seen, but still be able to easily reach it and draw. I sometimes work in the field and often attend professional meetings. Having a coat on at all times (especially in the summer) is out. Leaving my shirt tails hanging out would not work out, either. Frankly, I am at a loss. I am rethinking what I need to do in the future, but I am hearing mostly platitudes rather than something that I can actually do.

Real life is sranger than you can imagine....

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 17:57 (3964 days ago) @ Harry O-1

With a gun pointing at you like you had, I don't think there was anything you could do and not get shot no matter whee your gun was. As for the better way to carry, I don't know given the information you supplied. I would keep a round chambered, that wouldn't have mattered in this case but it might if you have another event. You will have to decide for yourself, no one else can tell you the solution for you. I do appreciate you sharing this with us, helps to remind us of the real world.

Only you can judge the demeanor of the person,

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 18:30 (3964 days ago) @ Cherokee

and apparently you did that well enough. If he was determined to kill you you probably would have known and dealt with that in your way.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I would like to say I could read him like a book,

by Harry O-1, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 19:00 (3964 days ago) @ Hobie

but I would be lying. I was just being ornery. I didn't like what he was doing and decided I didn't like him, either. It wasn't until after he left that I thought about how little money I had on me.

Just to be clear I don't think folks hear are trying to pick

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 08:55 (3964 days ago) @ Harry O-1

On you at all. Concerned friends that may or may not have faced similar situations. I offered a free holster because of this: "wiping off the holster while it is being drawn," Properly used a pocket holster should stay in the pocket as the gun is drawn.
The last time I had an issue with an intended felonious assault it too was at a local barber shop... I was fortunate to make the 2 perps well in advance.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I have learned my lesson about a cartridge...

by Harry O-1, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 17:55 (3963 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

in the chamber.

I have a Don Hume leather pocket-holster for the Kel-Tec P-32. It covers the outline of a gun very well. And it holds the gun securely. I have never had it drop out of my pocket. Near as I can describe it, it has a leather "hook" built into the bottom-rear-side of the holster. When I grab the gun, both the gun and the holster start coming out of the pocket. The hook catches on the corner of the pocket as it comes out and it falls away from the gun. I have practiced drawing it that way many times and it is second nature now. At least it is when there isn't a gun pointed at my stomach.

That is what I think it is supposed to do. If not, let me know and I will take you up on the generous offer of a proper holster.

My e-mail is harryo (at) tconl.com

RSS Feed of thread