Any Charlie's Askins fans? Inre: .38 special New Service

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 04:15 (3971 days ago)

Saw this one last night. Did a little reading and the 1933 date is right Bout the time Askins was in the Border Patrol. Probably not one of their guns but I bet it's still got some tories to tell!

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12512462

I've bought from them before and they have been good sellers. They claim this is a refinish but at least online it looks original; I'm no expert though...

by SIXGUNNER, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 05:34 (3971 days ago) @ Slow Hand

COL. ASKINS CUSTOM .38 NS WITH ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS, IVORY STOCKS AND KING RIB IS PICTURED FULL-SIZE IN THE NEW BOOK ON COLTS FROM THE AUTRY MUSEUM.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 08:18 (3971 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

I think I saw a picture of that revolver last night. He had the front of the trigger guard cut away; didn't it?

I will always wonder why he chose the New Service in .38 spl

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 14:04 (3971 days ago) @ Slow Hand

over 44 spl or 45 colt or acp or the .38 spl in either of zColt's smaller framed six shooter da guns...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I will always wonder why he chose the New Service in .38 spl

by SIXGUNNER, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 14:12 (3971 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

.38 WAS STANDARD BP ISSUE; HE LIKED THE RUGGEDNESS OF THE NS.

The auction says it is a reblue

by cubrock, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 14:48 (3970 days ago) @ Slow Hand

but my eyes don't detect hints of a reblue in the pictures. Seems like it will go too cheap right now, assuming they are wrong about the refinish.

Pitted barrel is a deal breaker for me

by Charles, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 15:20 (3970 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Some years back, I had a New Service in 38 Special but just couldn't warm up to it. That is odd considering I like both the New Service Colt and the 38 Special round. They just didn't as the Mexicans say "no hacen juego" (they don't play well together).

by cubrock, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 16:21 (3970 days ago) @ Charles

A pitted barrel would turn me off, too, but I wouldn't be surprised if what they are saying is pitting is leading and fouling. I've seen this seller make mistakes like that more than once that resulted in a very good deal for the buyer.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 19:36 (3970 days ago) @ cubrock

I've bought a handful of guns from CAF and all have had their flaws overstated. I have been radiantly surprised by every gun I've got from them so far. I'm betting a couple of passes with a brass brush and a patch or two would out this barrel back to near new condition.

And I agree on it being factory blue. Not sure why they'd call it a reblue.

I almost bid on it

by cubrock, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 19:39 (3970 days ago) @ Slow Hand

and regret I didn't to some extent. However, given that I am in a downsizing mode, I don't need to add one more cool gun.

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 22:07 (3970 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I have been a guest in the good Col's home and spent a good deal of time in his "gun room"
I do not ever remember ever seeing a 38 Spl.
I do remember seeing a old model Colt Woodsman in 22 RF. Which he used to dispatch 4 German soldiers in the French Hedgerows.
And a 10 ga. SXS double hammer gun carried by a drug smuggler coming over the border leading a string of contrabandista. He died with both hammers still cocked. :-P

Lee

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:07 (3969 days ago) @ Lee J.

This is why I wish you would write down the things you were told , seen, been though, and have done in your life. I would be the first person to buy your book. best regards Frank McClelland:beatdeadhorse:

Dibs on #2!

by Drago, Friday, November 15, 2013, 17:29 (3969 days ago) @ Fivegunner

:-D :-D :-D

I'll second that.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Friday, November 15, 2013, 19:08 (3969 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Any chance us younger guys can draw upon the experience of those who have gone before us is well worth the purchase price. You are an icon Mr. Jurras, I feel lucky to be able to share this space with the likes of you and Mr. Taffin.

So will I

by Catoosa, Friday, November 15, 2013, 19:17 (3969 days ago) @ Andrew

Those are certainly my sentiments as well. You guys are "guncrank treasures"!

With Dragon you could just "tell" your stories

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, November 16, 2013, 10:20 (3969 days ago) @ Lee J.

to your computer and send off the manuscript. What a treasure and truly written as you speak. I, for one but certainly not the only one, find all the ephemera of gundom interesting.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

That is how Keith wrote HELL, I WAS THERE

by cubrock, Sunday, November 17, 2013, 09:32 (3968 days ago) @ Hobie

It was transcribed from tape recordings as he told the stories. You can tell that when you read it, as reading it is like sitting at a campfire while he tells stories, kind of train of thought.

It is a great book, too.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, November 17, 2013, 18:54 (3967 days ago) @ cubrock

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread