Atomic 380 Ammo

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 10:13 (3972 days ago)

For my folks who carry 380's as backups, I recently ordered some .380 ACP Atomic Ammo using the 90 grain Hornady XTP bullet. Advertised velocity is 1100 fps.

http://atomicammunition.com/380acp.htm
[image]

We fired a couple of magazines through two LCP's and we didn't have any malfunctions attributable to the ammunition. I didn’t have time to set up a chronograph, so I filled a couple of windshield washer jugs with warm water and backed them up with a phone book. These are heavier plastic than your typical milk or water container.

The Atomic XTP ripped a 3” exit ‘gash’ in the first jug, apparently entered the second expanded and stretched a bullet-shaped divot in the back of the second. The phone book prevented it from exiting, the cover and a few pages being torn by the impact. The bullet was recovered in the bottom of the second jug.
[image]

The rolled-back petals and the fact that they’re flat against the bullet shank, tell me that the bullet still had plenty of terminal velocity after expansion. I’ve shot enough water jugs to consider this good, solid performance from JHP 380 ammunition. This exactly why I specified the XTP bullet for this ammunition.

Must ask. Warm water?

by Flatlander, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 10:50 (3972 days ago) @ Sarge

Why not cold - or even hot?

People = Warm water. Zombies = Cold water. Duh!

by cas, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 11:19 (3972 days ago) @ Flatlander

:-P :-D

I figured he just didn't want to get cold hands. lol

Atomic 380 Ammo new link

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 11:36 (3972 days ago) @ Sarge

http://atomicammunition.com/380acp.html

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Must ask. Warm water?

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 17:40 (3971 days ago) @ Flatlander

It was 18 degrees when I left the Station & I didn't want it to freeze if I got stuck out on a call.

Atomic 380 Ammo new link

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 18:58 (3971 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Sounds like the same pitch I used 40 years ago at Super Vwl. Using the same weight bullets I pioneered for caliber. EXCEPT their 148 gr. HP is a 148 gr. Match wadcutter loaded backwards, Nothing new there. I aked on their web-site WHO the principals were and their background.
They claim new brass on some loads . Reloads on others. Then they say they use new Mil-Spec brass on others. Whose mil-spec????.

I know, of know off Most of the people in the commercial ammo business. But there are some new start ups I haven't heard of, thus why I asked who the principals wre and their background. Could be re-tired gov't arsenal people or retired from W-W, Fed and or Rem. ? Just wanted to know, their tests and claims seem copies or an amateur effort at best. ????? :-P

Must ask. Warm water?

by Flatlander, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 19:03 (3971 days ago) @ Sarge

I like the zombie theory better ;)

Atomic 380 Ammo new link

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 00:26 (3971 days ago) @ Lee J.

Principal is a fellow named Richard Gans. Likeable sort and easy to work with. I just wanted a several hundred rounds of good warm 380 load with the XTP bullet... all at a price I could sell to the bean counters at the thin edge of the budget year. Atomic was able to deliver. I'll chrono some and let y'all know.

Truth be told Lee, I'd be happy with USA flat-point FMJ. In this case, my opinion is not the only one that matters.

935 fps average of 5 shots from my LCP

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, November 14, 2013, 09:27 (3971 days ago) @ Sarge

High shot was 992, ES looks to be 100 fps and change.

RSS Feed of thread