Rossi Ranch Hand anyone...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 17:38 (4626 days ago)

So, the wife meets me at the door after a long, hard day at work. She says she went to the Gander Mountain for some camping items. She wanders by the gun counter and spots one of these "Mare's Laig" knock offs in 38/357. On sale for $429.00.

I guess I'm wanting to know if anyone around these parts has had an opportunity to play with one of these things. I'm not all that interested, but for some reason my wife's got a mean hanker'in.

Good grief, I'm already starting to talk like a cowpoke.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

Love my 357 Rossi Rifle but haven't figured out what

by stonewalrus, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 17:44 (4626 days ago) @ pokynojoe

A Ranch Hand is good for. I think they only hold 6 rounds - I'd rather have a 6" Smith or Ruger and could probably hit better with them..

by anachronism, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 18:33 (4626 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I can't figure out what they're for either. I guess they're meant to be wall art or something.

by Drago, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 18:49 (4626 days ago) @ pokynojoe

They're basically a toy for those of us who remember "Wanted: Dead or Alive" starring Steve McQueen. The same type of gun has showed up in the movies from "Once Upon a Time in the West" to the more recent "Zombieland". They look fearsome but really aren't practical as a self defense or "sporting purpose" weapon. I'd like to get one just because, but California's idiotic "Safe Handgun List" prevents it.

I modified my Crossman Pumpmaster 760 into

by brionic @, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 18:56 (4626 days ago) @ Drago

one just like Steve McQueen's. Shootability went way down, but cool factor went way up. It became a wallhanger.

Funny thing is the rifles in 357 are like hens teeth but

by stonewalrus, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 20:09 (4626 days ago) @ pokynojoe

there are ranch hands sitting around. You'd think Rossi would be cranking out the rifles that sell rather than these novelties.

If I got one, it'd cost me another $200

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 20:26 (4626 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Because I'd have to file a form 1 and convert it to a short barreled rifle and put a stock on it!

Thwty seem to apeal to women cause they are handy and cute

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 20:39 (4626 days ago) @ pokynojoe

and old duffers that never got over Wanted Dead or Alive. I think they are nearly useless am amazed they come with tall adjusto sights and that they seem to sell so well

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Rob....I think the holster

by Bud, Friday, February 03, 2012, 09:31 (4625 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

for Steve McQueen's 'Mare's leg" was cooler than the gun itself. You ever took a good look at that rig ???

You mean this one...

by pokynojoe, Friday, February 03, 2012, 09:40 (4625 days ago) @ Bud

I have built a half dozen for a local store.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, February 03, 2012, 11:02 (4625 days ago) @ Bud

:-|

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Thwty seem to apeal to women cause they are handy and cute

by Drago, Friday, February 03, 2012, 11:15 (4625 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob, I think there's a touch of "forbidden fruit" appeal to them. Even though they are 100% legal, they don't look like it. If sawing off rifles and shotguns were not a crime, I doubt there'd be much interst in them.
Signed,
An Old Duffer ;-)

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Friday, February 03, 2012, 07:16 (4625 days ago) @ pokynojoe

One of the deputys here locally bought one so he could "pretend to be Steve McQueen on the weekends." He says its a fun blaster but thats about it.

I think you hit the nail on the head...

by pokynojoe, Friday, February 03, 2012, 08:33 (4625 days ago) @ Wildcat

Fun being the operative word. That's the appeal for a certain ole cowgirl who was quite the endurance rider in her day. It would be nice to be able to hit something with it also, but I don't think that's the issue here. If it goes "bang" when she pulls the trigger, that's probably all that's required. There's a lot to be said for having "fun" though.

thanks all
Joe

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, February 03, 2012, 08:24 (4625 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I like the short rifle concept of swapping in a real butt stock (after the appropriate paperwork of course).

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by jerry b, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 11:08 (4624 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I've handled two awhile back. How DO you use these things? DO you hold at hip? Do you put the butt in the crook of your elbow? DO you throw it at whatever or use it like a club?

Not trying to be cute or anything, but I would have no idea what to do with one. Give me a regular buttstock rifle or a real pistola, thanks.

At least it wasn't made by Mossberg.

by anachronism, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 12:24 (4624 days ago) @ pokynojoe

If Mossberg made these, they'd likely have a railed fore end, tactical flashlight, a laser, plastic grip & a bayonet lug.

At least it wasn't made by Mossberg.

by Catoosa, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 21:30 (4624 days ago) @ anachronism

Seems to me like the only way you could hit anything with one would be to use a barrel-mounted laser.

Kinda spoils the whole wild west thing, though.....

Just wondering...............

by Byron, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 18:30 (4623 days ago) @ pokynojoe

At what point does it cross the line between pistol and SBR? My point being that very good shooting can be done with quite short length of pull stocks on rifles....ie snap shooting with a reflex sighted flat top AR is nice with the stock all the way in....

If one could cut back a rifle stock to the absolute minimum required to get a "nose to the cocking handle" (sort of thing) and it still made "pistol" then it might just be a truely handy little shooter...

Just thinking....

Byron

Like a Whippet?

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, February 06, 2012, 07:29 (4622 days ago) @ Byron

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, February 06, 2012, 08:27 (4622 days ago) @ Byron

Lots of guys build ar's as pistols while waiting for their Form 1 paperwork to come back so they can put a stock on it as an SBR. I've seen lots of pics Of guys shooting them with the pistol buffer tube against their cheek. Not ideal, but it looks like it'll work in a pinch.

by Otony, Monday, February 06, 2012, 11:35 (4622 days ago) @ Slow Hand

If you run a longer buffer tube (one meant for a rifle) you get a couple of advantages when building an AR pistol.

Often there is better or more reliable functioning as opposed to the stubby tubes usually used. As well, you can actually use such a tube as a (shhhh) buttstock more efficiently. Some folks install a crutch or cane tip on the end of the tube....to protect it from getting dinged up. Believe it or not there is an ATF letter in regards to the cane tip, it is good to go and does not create a "stock" if installed.

Using the tip and a longer buffer, the whole affair does work quite well as a SBR without going to the expense and hassle of owning one. A few things to note, of course. You MUST have the pistol registered as such. And leave that upper/lower assembly married to one another in order to avoid confusion with other AR builds you may have in your home.

It would also behoove you to put in your carrying case the couple of letters which ATF has issued regarding AR pistols. Yes, I know, ATF letters are contradictory at times, and official opinions can change like the wind. But there are, unfortunately, some over enthusiatic Barney Fife type officers out there who wouldn't know an SBR from a pistol...or a squirt gun for that matter. A little official paperwork might could calm down a nasty misunderstanding.

Some folks feel that longer tubes should be machined to remove the bottom rail meant to locate the stock, so it is then shaped ala a pistol tube. The conjecture here is that a railed buffer tube is somehow an invitation to "stock that bad boy". Thus far, there are no recorded cases of any gummint officials trying to claim "intent" because of one type of tube over another, so you do what ever makes you comfortable.

I will write this last, AR pistols make GREAT rifles for small women and children. ;-)

+1

by Byron, Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 21:00 (4620 days ago) @ Otony

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 22:36 (4623 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I was interested in the gun, but didn't plan to buy one. Then I saw one for sale locally, it didn't sell and he kept cutting the price. Finally I couldn't resist and bought it.

I'll bring it (357) to the CSA shoot in Arkansas. Anyone who wants to play with it is welcome.

RSS Feed of thread