Weaver scope repair

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 20:33 (3978 days ago)

I've got and steel tubed Weaver 1.5-4.5x that had the ocular lense come loose awhile back. I was thinking of sending it off to have it repaired its got a fine crosshair which I'd rather was a post reticle type or at least a duplex.

I found this place that starts repairs/rebuilds at $95.

http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/weaver

By the time I get a different reticle, I'm deeper into it than a new Weaver 1-3x (I have one and really like it) so I'm wondering if anyone's had any Expedia ce with this place or somewhere else?

I have not personally used them but they seem highly...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, November 07, 2013, 05:29 (3978 days ago) @ Slow Hand

respected round the 'net and often referred to for such work. I would definitely consider them if I had a 'period correct' scope and wanted to do it up right....shiny 3-9x50's just don't look right on old Mauser sporters. ;-)

Been meaning to try one of the 1-3's. Good to hear positive reviews.

I have not personally used them but they seem highly...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, November 07, 2013, 08:31 (3978 days ago) @ Hoot

My 16" FAL is wearing the 1-3 Weaver. I should have let
You test it out in MO. I agree with wanting a similar vintage scope on an older rifle. My Husky .32/20 has already been drilled and tapped so I'm. Thinking of putting an older scope on it to see if I can shoot it any better. I think itd be a fun squirrel gun!

Ahh, that old thing.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, November 07, 2013, 12:05 (3978 days ago) @ Slow Hand

You'd be better off just sending up to MN. ;-)

I would be very tempted to seek out an old Weaver J2.5 or J4 for your Husky. The slimmer body would sit and balance very well and the optics are usually very, very nice. A Lyman Alaskan would also be cool but they can be hard to find if a fella's cheap (and I know I am). If you wanted a variable, the V-22 (3-6x) is another decent slim tube...might have to fiddle with rings on that because they come with .22 tip-offs. I have been on a bit of a 'vintage scope' binge lately. It's been interesting.

As for it being a 'squirrel gitter', I'd think it'd be right up there with the best.

Ahh, that old thing.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, November 08, 2013, 08:30 (3977 days ago) @ Hoot

I wouldn't want to waste your time with it. I mean I was barely able to hit those propane cylinders at 300 yards with it so I'm sure it's not up to your accuracy standards!!

Thanks for the ideas on scopes to look for. I'll keep my eyes on eBay to see if anything turns up. I need to figure out what scope base will fit. I'll have to look at weavers website and see I they list measurements on there.

I appreciate your looking out for me.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, November 08, 2013, 09:12 (3977 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Here's a couple of J's on GB...

This one looks pretty clean and has rings:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375247254

This one I have thought about picking up for the Litschert bit. Unfortunate that the one end is so freckled:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375212062

RSS Feed of thread