I tried to buy a gun last weekend....

by JD, Western Washington, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 14:31 (3979 days ago)
edited by JD, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 18:37

I tried to by a new revolver last weekend.......

I have one of Lipsey's Ruger Blackhawks in 44 Special, and I really like the gun, at least as it is now after Ruger re-barreled it (The original barrel had a forcing cone cut for a 45 colt. You could take a .452 diameter bullet and drop it base first into the forcing cone and it would go in 0.10 inches. When you dropped a .429 bullet base first into the forcing cone, it would go in 0.25 inches... Needless to say it leaded badly and accuracy was so-so. Ruger re-barreled it and now it very accurate, doesn't lead either.).

Anyway, I decided I wanted to try a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 44 Special to go along with the Blackhawk. I found only one local dealer with any in stock, so off I went with wallet in hand....

Asked to look at the one in the display case. Nice looking revolver! Popped the cylinder out and looked at the barrel and it was glass smooth.... Smoothest Ruger barrel I've ever seen. Chambers likewise looked great. I popped the cylinder back in and looked at the barrel cylinder gap. It was 0.006 wich isn't bad, then I checked endshake...... I found that the cylinder had about 0.006 inches of endshake and yes on two chambers the cylinder would touch the barrel.... Hmmmmm, so much for that one... :-(

Turns out that they had another in back, so I got my hopes up... Checked the endshake first on this one and it had virtually none. It was very tight. The barrel cylinder gap was a nice 0.004"... So far so good... Then I popped the cylinder out and took a look down the bore and found bad cutter chatter marks the full length of the barrel. I looked at the cylinder and the chambers looked like they had been hogged out by a beaver with dull teeth..... :-( Sigh...... Two strikes and I'm out since they didn't have another to check.....

I tried, I really tried.... I need another 44 Special as the Blackhawk that I have must really be getting lonely in the safe.

Maybe I need a S&W 24 or 624 instead. If anyone sees a nice 4" 24 or 624 for a decent price, please let me know. Maybe I'll have better luck there....

JD

624s and 24's are out there for fair prices...

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 18:50 (3979 days ago) @ JD

I just bought this one on GB for a couple hundred less than anything I have seen around here. I have the advantage of personally knowing the seller, and his penchant for a good running S&W, so I am assured of it being a good one. A Lew Horton 624 just recently sold on GB for under $650, so the prices aren't sky high if the seller starts the bidding at a reasonable number. The 624s seem to sell for less.

I know, the grips are hideous.

[image]

I tried to buy a gun last weekend....

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 19:26 (3979 days ago) @ JD
edited by RidinLou, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 19:44

One of the gunzine writers said in the recent past that the buying public were out here to do final QC for the manufacturers in many cases.

I have a nice lil Charter Arms SS Bulldog that has been back to the factory twice in about 3-500 rounds.

First time it went back before a shot was fired because the barrel was so rough it looked like it was threaded and chunks were galled out of the barrel.

It never did fire all chambers EVERY TIME (had a new pathfinder years ago that was like this when new, but improved starting with about 50 rounds down the tube).

Then the little piece that moves up with trigger pull broke off.

Got it back and still . . . STILL would not fire every time.

Threw it into the back of the safe and cursed the folks that even touched it at the factory.

Somewhere out there is a youtube video of the Charter Arms pres glad handing some NRA bigshot and talking up the bulldog.

I had to comment that he should be back at the factory overseeing the lack of QA/QC.

On the other hand I have a Taurus 431 3.5" and it is Glass smooth with perfect trigger.

Too bad it is too bulky for carry use.

RSS Feed of thread