last weekend before 'winter' , sort of anyway, snow will be

by cable, Monday, November 04, 2013, 15:33 (3980 days ago)

here soon. was grey, cool [ mid to high 30s ] but quiet and serene at the cabin on the lake:

[image]

last two weekends was doing winterizing jobs, while others fished. got out saturday afternoon, and fished for an hour and got my last rainbows of the season....last before snow starts and ice forms:

[image]

largest are about 18" and all four were real fighters.

;-) later they looked like this:

[image]

and next meal we had 'grizzly burgers ' , very fine lean tasty burgers with squash on the side:

[image]

and these good times are what we remember and a big part of what we live for, and why we live here.

:-)

Nice rainbows!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, November 04, 2013, 15:50 (3980 days ago) @ cable

my son and brand new daughter in law are walking around here in shorts exulting in the kinda nippy for me but warm for them 60 degree air in prescott...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

60 sounds nice ! we wont see that again, till maybe next

by cable, Monday, November 04, 2013, 16:03 (3980 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

may , and probably late may at that :-P

You're living my dream...

by anachronism, Monday, November 04, 2013, 16:55 (3980 days ago) @ cable

somebody has to... :-D

Ooo Man you got it made!!!

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Monday, November 04, 2013, 17:35 (3980 days ago) @ cable

Nice pictures hope to meet you some day.:-D

Ooo Man you got it made!!! thanks, would be nice to meet

by cable, Monday, November 04, 2013, 17:54 (3980 days ago) @ Fivegunner

someday. being up here, other than Rob Leahy, there are very few folks i have met on a face to face basis. but someday, i hope to. :-)

Looks great, sort of like here, but...

by Brian A, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 07:56 (3980 days ago) @ cable

without the mountains, ocean, game, etc.. We do get the cold and snow here in northern Michigan though, maybe not quite as much as you do, but we will not see leaves until next May and can expect 150"+ of snow this winter.

that area is very beautiful, and thats way more snow

by cable, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 09:24 (3980 days ago) @ Brian A

than we get...about twice as much as our average !

Yeah, this is one of the colder, snowier parts of MI...

by Brian A, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 12:52 (3978 days ago) @ cable

We are in a 'lake effect' snow region from northwest winds blowing across Lakes Superior and Michigan. Record snow amounts here top 250" a season and the record has been broken three times in the last 15 years.

We don't have the mountains or ocean, but do have rolling hills, trout streams, lots of inland lakes, not to mention the Great Lakes not too far away. My parents have forbidden me from visiting Alaska after they were there a few years ago. They don't believe I would come back to MI.

you parents may well be right ! : )

by cable, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 13:24 (3978 days ago) @ Brian A

;-)

Oh yeah, LOTS of Yuppers in AK.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 15:02 (3978 days ago) @ cable

good folks.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I spent a few years in "Huskey Hockey Country"...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 16:31 (3978 days ago) @ Brian A

One winter I helped a buddy run trap lines in the Ottawa National Forrest. He was doing research on Pine Martins for the F&W Service and working on his master thesis, I was between jobs. We shared a room over a bar called the Swallow Inn that was somewhere's outside of Ironwood, just a crossroads back then. Lived out of that room for six months. This was probably about 40 years ago. He was a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin, and come that May,he went back to school. I got the hell out of there and ended up working on a survey project in East St. Louis for a couple years. To this day, I don't know what was worse.

RSS Feed of thread