Looking for a USFA Flat Top Target in 4 3/4" or 5 1/2" l

by Fowler, Monday, November 04, 2013, 13:33 (3980 days ago)

Of at least my uncle is, preferably all blue but he's not that picky.

Good luck, brother!...

by Boge Quinn, Monday, November 04, 2013, 13:39 (3980 days ago) @ Fowler

...get ready to lay out some bucks. I have a beautiful all-blue 5-1/2" 45 that I bought from Jack Fowler before USFA prices went totally insane. It ain't for sale.

Me Too

by JLF @, Monday, November 04, 2013, 14:04 (3980 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

I have a birds-head Double Eagle that I sent to Nutmeg for ivory grips and an action job. Ain't for sale neither!:-D

JLF

I finally found the elusive Bisley Flattop Target 44 Spl...

by Boge Quinn, Monday, November 04, 2013, 14:10 (3980 days ago) @ JLF

...after a two year search, with the help of brother Matt Olivier. Cost beau coup bucks, but I didn't squall.

Jack, that 45 FTT I bought from you is one of my favorite sixguns. I am fixing to send it to Ben Forkin to have an ACP cylinder fitted.

Double Eagle is a USFA sixgun that I DON'T have!...BTW...

by Boge Quinn, Monday, November 04, 2013, 14:18 (3980 days ago) @ JLF

...I spoke with Doug Donnelly at NASGW, he was promoting some improvements to that Godawful Zip gun. I told him he needed his ass whipped for letting USFA go, and how much I loved those sixguns, and Jeff asked if the Red River D guns we ordered were done yet. He said he was thinking maybe someday USFA may return, but I ain't holding my breath.

You have to ask

by Fowler, Monday, November 04, 2013, 14:41 (3980 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

And this crew is a group who might know where one is hiding that can be had for slightly less than a Colt original..;-)

Good luck, brother!...

by Drago, Monday, November 04, 2013, 19:42 (3980 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

How insane Boge? I've still got a 7 1/2" Rodeo NIB. Prices?

Like Matt said...

by Boge Quinn, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 09:24 (3980 days ago) @ Drago

...prices on the "nicer" USFAs (not that there is anything wrong with the Rodeos! I have several) have pretty much surpassed 2nd-Gen Colts. I find that Rodeos are bringing what the "nicer" USFAs were bringing before their SAAs morphed into that dern Zip gun.

I agree with Brother Boge...

by matt/pa @, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 12:46 (3979 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

he is spot on, in my opinion. The Rodeos are nearing that $1250-$1300 range while the standard SAAs are clearing $1800-$2200. The Flattop Targets, standard or Bisley, are now pushing well above that.

Supply and demand, it's a beautiful thing, eh?

Matt

I generally agree, however

by cubrock, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 14:36 (3979 days ago) @ matt/pa

it isn't uncommon to see Rodeos bring well under a grand, even NIB. I've been watching USFA prices closely the last two years. Rodeos can be pretty inconsistent from auction to auction. The higher grade guns made in lower numbers (Bisley, FTT, etc) consistently bring huge money. Everything else is much higher than it was, but not as dear as a lot of dealers wish. :)

Also, less desirable calibers bring substantially less money, just like with Colts. .45 Colt and .44 Special perform the best. Guns that are otherwise rare, like .41 Colt, .38-40, and even common ones like .38 Special bring less money, all things being equal. As Honest Arch says, "The Lone Ranger never carried a (fill in the blank with non .45/.44 caliber)!"

by Drago, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 12:48 (3978 days ago) @ cubrock

Hopefully a 7.5" .45LC will bring more than a grand considering they were only available for a few months.

by cubrock, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 13:02 (3978 days ago) @ Drago

One would hope, but rarity and desirability don't always meet the way we would like. Just depends on why someone wants the 7.5" Rodeo. The collectors are mostly sticking to the prettier USFAs at the moment, in the more popular calibers. The price run-up on everything else hasn't been as much, percentage-wise. I sold one of their "Rodeo" versions of their Lightning Rifle earlier this year. They made well under 100 of those - far lower production than the higher grade ones. Took a while to sell and I had to cut the price to not a whole lot more than it originally sold for, despite its rarity. On the other hand, I sold my high grade one earlier with one phone call for nearly double what it cost originally.

Will be an interesting market to continue to watch.

Any particular caliber or configuration?

by matt/pa @, Monday, November 04, 2013, 15:28 (3980 days ago) @ Fowler
edited by matt/pa, Monday, November 04, 2013, 15:39

Bill,

Is your uncle looking for any particular caliber? How about configuration (Bisley or standard SAA)?

I can tell you from talking to the guy that used to build them at USFA, short barrel flat-top targets are scarce birds, and short barrel Bisley Flat-Top targets are ever scarcer. There weren't too many made.

They aren't commanding First Gen SAA prices yet, but, as far as I have seen, they have surpassed most 2nd Gen SAAs now, since USFA folded up their single action shop.

Matt

Hes open to mainly available for sale I think

by Fowler, Monday, November 04, 2013, 15:51 (3980 days ago) @ matt/pa

I wouldnt rule out a 7 1/2" ether but he has a strong preference to the shorter lengths...

I have a 5.5" Bisley Flat-Top Target 38-40 that might could.

by matt/pa @, Monday, November 04, 2013, 18:16 (3980 days ago) @ Fowler

be available. If he's interested in something like that, let me know. I paid current market price for it, so I'll need to get that out of it. It is still NIB, hard rubber grips, color cased frame.

If interested, drop me an email at bigbore45colt @ ptd DOT net

Thanks,

Matt

please send pics and price to:

by Fowler, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 12:06 (3980 days ago) @ matt/pa

bfowler@wescolaser dot com

RSS Feed of thread