Bought a strange little rifle.......

by Otony, Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 17:03 (4627 days ago)

......stopped by the local pawn shop to snoop around and saw an unusual little AK-47 variant that looked pretty much like this: http://www.hungariae.com/AMD65.htm

It turned out to be a Hungarian AMD-65, replete with a folding stock and very short barrel. A permanently welded on muzzle brake makes it legal in the eyes of the law, and a few inches longer than the ones pictured in the link. It also accepts good old gummint issue (well, Soviet gummint) magazines.

It collapses down to just over 25" long, and is the handiest little thing you ever saw. A cheek weld is sort of problematic due to the design of the folding stock, but an outfit by the name of AMD-65 Tech has an inexpensive solution.

I have no need for such a beasty, as there are several ARs in the house, along with quite a few lever actions, but it was one of those cute puppy dog kinda moments so I gave in. That and the fact that I have a fair number of AK mags from a rifle I owned many, many years ago meant that a 7.62x39 would once again be in the lineup. Not a bad thing to have, a weapon chambered for .30 Russian Short. A range test will in order shortly.....

Otony

Looks handy for the cab of the pick up or in a soft Saxaphon

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 20:16 (4627 days ago) @ Otony

case while visiting the big city.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Looks handy for the cab of the pick up or in a soft Saxaphon

by Otony, Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 22:59 (4627 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have to dig out the large violin case I bought for my AR pistol!

It was purchased with the idea of carrying it in the truck, BTW.....

Violin case you need

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, February 03, 2012, 18:42 (4625 days ago) @ Otony

[image]

I love it!

by Otony, Friday, February 03, 2012, 19:22 (4625 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I have one, for a larger violin (viola?). I'm not sure if it will fit and it is buried deep.

Gotta dig it out, but in the meanwhile, where did you get that one?

Otony

I love it!

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 18:34 (4624 days ago) @ Otony

Its not mine but it is cool. A polyester sleeve for one of those cheap walmart folding camp chairs is a good hiding place for one, Looks like your carrying a folding camp chair.

Bob

(better fold down to just over 26")

by bj @, Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 20:46 (4627 days ago) @ Otony

nm

I wondered about that.....

by Otony, Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 22:57 (4627 days ago) @ bj

....as this measures out to 25.5" folded. UZIs are actually shorter than my gun when folded.

Some states measure OAL with the stock in the collapsed/closed position. Here in Washington this rifle is legal as it is "manufactured" to this folded length, but longer than 26" when opened. If it were "modified" to this folded length, it would be illegal. Go figure.

So check with your state's laws.

Supposedly, the feds measure OAL with the stock in the extended/open position. I found this quote from the BATF:

Dear __________________:

This is in reply to your correspondence which was received by the Firearms Technology Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

As background, 27 CFR Sec. 479.11 (Meaning of Terms) states, in part:

The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore.

Based on this description of overall length and its correct measurement, ATF has taken the position that firearms having folding or collapsible stocks are properly measured for overall length with the stock fully extended.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust that the foregoing has been responsive.

Sincerely yours,

John R. Spencer
Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

Since these rifles are being legally imported and sold here in the US, one has to assume that the BATF is fully aware of the existance of same. What do you think?

Otony

I wondered about that.....

by bj @, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 10:56 (4626 days ago) @ Otony

Since these rifles are being legally imported and sold here in the US, one has to assume that the BATF is fully aware of the existance of same. What do you think?

Unfortunately BATF makes up their own rules, and changes their rules whenever they feel like it, not to mention enforcing current rules however the individual office/agent feels like enforcing them. On the plus side for you, if there was ever a time when you doubted the legal length of your device, you could simply weld on a bit to the end of the current flash device, or replace it with a longer one.

naw, these gotta be legal, the BATF sends these to Mexico

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 13:28 (4626 days ago) @ bj

all the time:-|

--

Worring about nothing BJ. Unless ATF changes their written

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 13:31 (4626 days ago) @ bj

rulings...that would outlaw hundreds of thousands AK folders. Assault weapons bill ended.

--

A M1 carbine with a paratrooper stock is about 25" long

by Jared, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 23:06 (4626 days ago) @ bj

With The stock folded.

Hi Jared, how are you doing?

by bj @, Friday, February 03, 2012, 13:19 (4625 days ago) @ Jared

nm

Hi Jared, how are you doing?

by Jared, Friday, February 03, 2012, 14:14 (4625 days ago) @ bj

We have been good. I am really busy at work right now,but with the recent announcement not sure what is going to happen.

How thing with you?

Bought a strange little rifle.......

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, February 03, 2012, 18:48 (4625 days ago) @ Otony

I have a regular underfolder AK. It is actually easier to aime than a stamped AK with the regular stock. Expect it to hit the 300 yard gong with ease. The 400 and 500 yard gongs are next to impossible for me. 200 yard water filled milk jugs are easy prey. Always goes BANG.

My AK 74 will double and triple from a loose rest making people at the range think its an auto. The recoil of the 5.54 round causes the rifle to boucne off my shoulder and force the trigger into my waiting finger. Sort of like tripping a secondary sear.

You could walk down the street with the violin case in the picture below and no one would suspect

Bob

RSS Feed of thread