Duracell batteries - BEWARE

by Catoosa, Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 21:27 (4506 days ago)

OT, but I gotta vent - Duracell batteries have ruined another flashlight for me. Leaked and corroded the barrel, and they had only been in it a couple weeks. Still making light, but weaker. I tried to get the battery pack out to replace them and it was corroded in place.

I quit buying Duracell batteries years ago because I was tired of replacing stuff that they had leaked in and corroded up, but my wife bought some a few weeks back, not knowing they were verboten here. Like an idiot, instead of just throwing them in the trash like I should have done, I tried to use them. Won't make that mistake again.

I have no idea why Duracells leak acid so quickly. Energizers rarely leak unless they are LONG dead, and I can't recall a Rayovac battery ever leaking.

by Alfred John, Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 21:37 (4506 days ago) @ Catoosa

Most all battery makers will make good on any equipment damaged by their leaking batteries. I and my Father have gotten some good flashlights over the years when we would find one someone trashed due to corrosion or leakage damage. Maybe not the same brand, rather one the battery maker endorses. Usually no hassle and quick response. Good Luck

by Catoosa, Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 22:08 (4506 days ago) @ Alfred John

Duracell has replaced a couple of Maglites for me over the years, but I still hate to ruin good equipment by using crappy batteries.

I've had the same prob and don't buy them anymore

by bj @, Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 00:21 (4506 days ago) @ Catoosa

nm

by anachronism, Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 18:10 (4505 days ago) @ Catoosa

I just had a 3D Maglight ruined by 8 month old RayoVacs. I managed to salvage it to a limited extent. It has massive pitting inside, and getting the swollen batteries out was a total pain. It now has to stay indoors, because it's no longer water tight.

Goal Zero Flash lights with USD/110/and Solar power recharge

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 20:54 (4505 days ago) @ Catoosa
edited by Paul, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 08:02

One of the best lights I have ever used! I keep one in the tool pocket of my dungarees or in a coat pocket. 50 retail BRIGHT huge single LED bulb. caught a bobcat in my yard with the bright adjustable beam.http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/113/Bolt-Focus-Light/6:4/ or with the solar panel I have one of each really like the bright light. makes my Surefires look like candles

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

CREE LED's are a big advance

by bj @, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 11:01 (4505 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have a lot of the older LED lights using the Lumiled LED's. They were great at the time, not as much light as a good incandescent light but longer battery life and no bulb to worry about burning out. But then Cree LED's came out and they are very much brighter for the same voltage and current. I bought a new Fenix light in December, smaller than my Pelican and Streamlight lights, but 320 Lumens, and they have models with more light output than that. I even found a module to plug into a maglite with claimed 1000 lumens. The older LED's are still useful for some things and you don't always need that much light anyway for instance if you are working up close, looking under seats in your truck, in closets, etc.

With rechargeable batteries you have the problem of battery life. In a matter of years you will probably need to replace the batteries. My "good" lights all use CR123 Lithium batteries. There is much less chance of leakage with these batteries, but they can be expensive unless you buy them right in bulk.

these rechargables are a step foreward and the same size 123

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 02, 2012, 11:54 (4504 days ago) @ bj

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread