Squirrel hunting this weekend

by Jhenry, Thursday, October 24, 2013, 20:02 (3991 days ago)

I am going to take the youngest, 12, and go hunting this weekend just to get away and spend some quality time. He wants to take his bantam 20 gauge Mossberg which is fine since the leaves are still all there for the most part. I think I will take my old Marlin .22 bolt action. I put a new 4X on it I picked up at Bass Pro, and fixed my trigger issue by replacing the trigger spring with one from a ball point pen off my desk. After taking apart several pens I got the right weight. Works great, but there is still a smidgen of creep. It is light years better though. Very accurate.

The last time we were down there squirrel hunting we ran onto a herd of feral pigs. I will take the Super Blackhawk just in case we get lucky.

by Murphy @, Thursday, October 24, 2013, 20:46 (3991 days ago) @ Jhenry

Sounds like you're in for a good time. I've been meaning to get out and go after a batch of em' myself. On the other hand, primative firearms season opens this weekend in Oklahoma. I don't think the fella's hunting deer would appreciate my interupting their hunt. So I'm going to have to put it on hold a few more weekend. And, there should be less leaves on the tree's by then to deal with.

Several months back, I ran across a fair deal on a old Remington 514 .22. I searched and found a Lyman peep sight for it and had my gunsmith mount it. That thing sure shoots a fine group. The trigger needs a bit of work, but other than that its just perfect. I have other (and better choices) .22's and a couple of shotguns. But just for the sake of nostalgia, I think I'll have a great time with that old single shot.

Murphy

by Catoosa, Thursday, October 24, 2013, 22:34 (3991 days ago) @ Jhenry

And I'll bet that would be a Marlin Model 81. One of the finest, most accurate .22s ever made. I had an 81DL for a while that had belonged to my brother-in-law. One of the most astonishingly accurate .22 rifles I ever shot. I passed it on to his grandson this past spring, along with a brick of the Federal LR it likes.

RSS Feed of thread