40 S&W popularity and amount used by LEO questons

by Alfred John, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 10:56 (3997 days ago)

I have never owned or even shot the 40 S&W cartridge. However a good neighbor of mine recently obtained a good deal on a pistol in that caliber. He is not a gun person but likes the gun and the cartridge. I have read up a bit on the cartridge in Evan Marshall's and Ed Sanow's books and it seems they like it and it appears to be a well developed round. my question is does anyone have any good information on well this is accepted by various police agencies and wide spread it's use is around the country? I find most stores carry it when nothing else is available and the prices I have seen seem somewhat reasonable in today's short hauled market. I am curious is this replacing the 357's and 45 ACP's and 9MM's in the police inventories for use. Just wondering, Thanks in advance on a Saturday. ATB

In TN state police, the local PDs and wildlife resources

by stonewalrus, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 12:09 (3997 days ago) @ Alfred John

All carry 40s. I like it from the standpoint the 155 and 165 grainers are getting close to a 357 in velocity and the 180s a similar to a 45 in power. Also I figure the truncated cone fmj beats a round nose fmj any day.

It is the caliber of choice for Homeland Security and ICE

by anachronism, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 12:24 (3997 days ago) @ Alfred John

They're buying hundreds of millions of rounds, with contracts being given to every major ammo maker.

Steve Sargeant has written some good articles on the .40 S&W

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 12:45 (3997 days ago) @ Alfred John

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

The reason it is more available than 9mm and 45acp

by John K., Saturday, October 19, 2013, 13:29 (3997 days ago) @ Alfred John

in stores is because it is a slow mover compared to the other two. In rifle calibers, 223 and 308 disappear before 30-06.

If you get one, DON'T let the 40 brass anywhere near the 9mm and 45acp... if it gets mixed in a tumbler, they all fit together like Matryoshka dolls and will destroy a decapping pin.

they all fit together like Matryoshka dolls add .32 acp for

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 14:02 (3997 days ago) @ John K.

some real fun...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Alfred John, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 17:01 (3996 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Thank you every one. I have purposely avoided getting the 40 S&W as I have most of the other calibers. I do agree on how the cases can slide together like the little Russian dolls. Didn't figure it was worth my effort to inspect, double inspect my cases looking for them in the case of mixed range brass. I see from reading it is a well thought out and designed cartridge and evidently has a proven street performance as well, but I don't feel a need for one at this time. The stores I have seen it in do sell quite a bit of this stuff. So it is a mover. Thanks once again for the information. I reread Sarges' article on the 40 in the Glock and it is mentioned in Evan Marshalls books. Sarge was right on with poor chamber support, glad it is fixed. Everyone try to have a good weekend and stay safe. ATB.

by uncowboy, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 18:19 (3996 days ago) @ Alfred John

my .02 but you won't like it. get a reloading manual that lists pressures. look at the 45 acp then look at the 40 sw. the 40 sw ranges in rifle pressures. it was designed for le that must cater to females with small hands-same grip frame as a 9mm. the 40 tries to be a 10mm. a 40sw that expands becomes a 45, a 45 starts at a 45 and only gets better with a lot less pressure and less recoil. a mini 40sw is the hardest gun to learn to shoot well. it took me 2 cases in my g27 to get good with it and it would never be my first choice.in a full size gun it gains nothing over a 45. so what gap does it fill? I do owne the glocks in 40 and I owne a steyr m40 but I see no reason to get any more because I would rather have a 9mm with quality ammo then a 40sw. my .02 j.michael

I picked up my 40 Witness as a fluke - really good buy on

by stonewalrus, Sunday, October 20, 2013, 08:49 (3996 days ago) @ Alfred John

A used pistol I couldn't let go by. I had been looking for a 9. Still, I hit better with it than about any other semi-auto pistol I own.

I'll add my opinion - I rented a Glock in 40 SW and put 50

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 18:30 (3996 days ago) @ Alfred John

rounds thru it. First time with a Glock and with the 40, but I have to say it was not good. I found the round to be more snappy than the 45 ACP. I'll stick to the 9, 38 super and 45.

by BobM, Ohio, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 19:56 (3996 days ago) @ Alfred John

It's very popular and my agency traded 9mms for 40s several years ago. I probably could have forced the issue and kept us in 9mms and now wish I had. I think the 40 is a good police and self defense round, but so is the 9mm and 45. 9mm ammo is cheaper and officers generally perform better with the 9mm. Just my 2 cents

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 21:00 (3996 days ago) @ BobM

IIRC, the 40 came about because too many agencies could not get their officers qualified with the original 10MM round. The FBI found the same thing after they opened the agency to women, even when they downloaded the 10 mm they had problems. BUT the women special agents could qualify with the 40 which is just a very downloaded version. The 10 mm whether, Colt Delta Elite or the Glock is an excellent cartridge. Its not a 44 Mag but for those spray and pray types it is available with 15 rd mags. Killing on record in Alaska where two Fish and game officers finished off a wounded Brown that had killed a Hunter. Both were armed with 15 rd. mags in their 10mm Glocks. Can handle a 200 grainer @ 100 plus or the 180 at 1200 plus. :-P

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 21:04 (3996 days ago) @ Lee J.

P. S. to above. That's a 200 grainer at 1100 plus. The Glock 20 was designed for a 36K CUP cartridge, the Colt is not. :-)

I have a Witness (CZ75 copy) in 40 and my son has a Hi Power

by stonewalrus, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 21:07 (3996 days ago) @ BobM

They are really quite similar in general feel but there is definitely a noticeable difference shooting them in side by side comparisons and his baby Glock in 40 is pretty nasty to shoot too. My M&P compact in 9mm is a pussycat in comparison.

TN HP Caliber of choice

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, October 20, 2013, 23:38 (3995 days ago) @ Alfred John

is 357 Sig.

15 or so rounds matching the old 357 Mag LEO specs is decent enough.

I have not seen statistics on real world gunfight performance.

Didn't realize they had switched

by stonewalrus, Monday, October 21, 2013, 12:38 (3995 days ago) @ RidinLou

Nm

RSS Feed of thread