Hmm...might be time for an EBR....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, October 18, 2013, 08:44 (3998 days ago)

I thought Ruger was dropping all EBRs.

by anachronism, Friday, October 18, 2013, 09:20 (3998 days ago) @ Hoot

As sentimental as I am about Minis, I still feel the AR platform has much more going for it. Still, the Mini is a much more handsome rifle, it's just not my first choice for zombies and prairie dogs.

why would they do that? dealers can't keep them in stock...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, October 18, 2013, 10:33 (3998 days ago) @ anachronism

I like Mini 14s as well, Though I despise the cheesy EXPENSIVE magazines.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Jared, Friday, October 18, 2013, 11:09 (3998 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I like Mini 14s as well, Though I despise the cheesy EXPENSIVE magazines.

Nonexistent magazines were the main reason I traded my Mini30 off. I still probably should have kept it.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Friday, October 18, 2013, 11:14 (3998 days ago) @ Jared

I did the same, though the so-so accuracy was another factor.

I heard it on the internet,

by anachronism, Friday, October 18, 2013, 11:47 (3998 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true...:-)

Well, SOME of us try not to!...

by Boge Quinn, Friday, October 18, 2013, 14:11 (3998 days ago) @ anachronism

:-D

As for the rest....................

If Ruger made a Mini-14 that accepted AR magazines......

by Otony, Friday, October 18, 2013, 16:45 (3998 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

....I would buy a matched pair in a heartbeat.

Otony

Ruger should do what I guess Bill's pride wouldn't let him.

by cas, Friday, October 18, 2013, 17:11 (3998 days ago) @ Otony

And build a Mini M-14. Truly a shrunk down M14, not the almost thing they build.

Make THAT work with AR mags if you must change something.

AMEN!!!!

by John K., Friday, October 18, 2013, 18:02 (3997 days ago) @ cas

My opinion of them is rather ill.

We almost got one...

by anachronism, Friday, October 18, 2013, 18:10 (3997 days ago) @ cas

Remember the XGI? I still believe the Mini 30 came about because Ruger had already laid in a stock of barrels for the XGI before they decided not to produce it, and these barrels ended up being used for Mini 30s. IIRC, the first Mini 30s had 308 barrels, and Ruger said not to worry about it, that they were perfectly safe. Man, that was a long time ago! I always suspected that politics caused the XGIs demise, not reliability issues as advertised.

Ruger should do what I guess Bill's pride wouldn't let him.

by Drago, Friday, October 18, 2013, 18:55 (3997 days ago) @ cas

It wouldn't have been in line with his "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds" philosophy. While he was alive,us common folk weren't allowed to buy factory 20 rounders. If the Mini-14 took AR mags, he wouldn't have been able to control that.

Ruger sold 20 rounders before the Dark days of Clinton

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, October 18, 2013, 20:25 (3997 days ago) @ Drago

...I wish the Mini 30 was built to take AK mags and the Mini 14 was could take AR mags....I have a pile of either or plastic mags that are utterly reliable EXCEPT for storing ammo. the rounds all pop out one by one...

--

by Jared, Friday, October 18, 2013, 20:44 (3997 days ago) @ Wildcat

Mine too. It would only feed from the factory 5 round magazine, the accuracy was about 3" at 50 yards using foreign ammo,( i never tried any good ammo) and it wouldn't always light the primer off on The Russian steel case stuff I was shooting at the time.

Ruger sold 20 rounders before the Dark days of Clinton

by Jared, Friday, October 18, 2013, 20:47 (3997 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Before getting mine I was considering grafting the lower portion of a AK magazine on the top of a factory 5 round and see if I could make it work. Would have probably ruined two magazine but might have been worth a try.

Hmm...might be time for an EBR....

by CJM @, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 00:06 (3997 days ago) @ Hoot

Looks nice, but why are they using a minimum length barrel? It works for 223, but I really prefer a 20" barrel for the 308. Those extra 3.5 inches make more power and give a quieter report with less muzzle blast and the few extra inches don't weigh anymore than the extra rails that the manufacturers keep putting on the hand guards.

I have a Ram Line dual use mag AR/Mini

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 05:52 (3997 days ago) @ Jared

That actually functions fine in my AC556. I cut on a P-Mag a few years back and got it to fit into my AC556. It functioned ok, except I cut the space between the feedlips too wide and a couple times per mag, it'd launch two or three rounds out at once.

I did the work on a drill press with a crappy Harbor Freight X-Y axis vice and some cheap end mills. Now that P-Mags are down to $10 again, I may drop a few off with a machinist buddy and see if he doesn't have better luck.

I have owned 3 Mini 14s . never even bothered to put them ..

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, October 19, 2013, 11:08 (3997 days ago) @ Jared

on paper. Just fun plinkers and light SD /deer hunting rifles in my mind. They all gobbled up everything I fed them. I bought one of them from Woody (I think we traded guns) and gave that to a good friend for his families protection and use on their boat. They have shot a pile of little deer with it. I think there are some aftermarket mag adaptors...

--

RSS Feed of thread