My 'new' 20 year old 6 1/2" Single Six Convertible...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 19:42 (3999 days ago)
edited by Sarge, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 20:24

appears to be shooting substantially better with Winchester 40 grain WMR HP's than it does with Federal 36 grain LR's, an old accuracy standby for me. The Mags are holding a shade over 4" at 50 yards, about as well as I can do from field positions with the stock trigger. I'll correct that at the 1st opportunity and give it another go.

[image]

Robust and reliable...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 20:37 (3999 days ago) @ Sarge

I used to be just that...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Robust and reliable...

by uncowboy, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 06:51 (3999 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have one that shoots horribly hen clean but after 50-100 rds it tightens up rather nicely. try not cleaning it see if it gets any better.

Me & you both, brother!

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, October 18, 2013, 06:04 (3998 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

;)

by cubrock, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 06:56 (3999 days ago) @ Sarge

The barrels on Single Sixes are sized for the .22 Magnum bullet, so they are slightly oversized for .22 LR bullets. That is why so many of them shoot better with the Magnum. The very early Single Sixes (before 1959, or 1960) had bores sized specifically for the .22 LR, as the dual cylinder guns weren't offered then. Those guns are usually much more accurate with .22 LR ammo than the later ones.

Probably variations in tolerances but..

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 10:58 (3999 days ago) @ cubrock

there doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason. Some NM's shoot Mags better than LR's; some are the other way on. They all seem to exhibit a brand preference though.

Definitely from the "FWIW Dept."

Probably variations in tolerances but..

by Jared, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 16:43 (3999 days ago) @ Hoot

Also for some reason the Bisley .22s seem to shoot way better than the standard single six. Kathryn has a drift rear Bisley Single six and I have an adjustable and they both will shoot right along if not out shoot my K22.

Amen Jared! I have a Bisley that just P's me Off....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 21:48 (3998 days ago) @ Jared

whenever a real shooter takes it up.

I shoot it OK but, if it gets in the hand of someone what knows how to do it, it really shines.

I guess it ain't really the tool but the user, huh? :-|

Nothing like having someone out shoot you with your own gun.

by Jared, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 22:35 (3998 days ago) @ Hoot

Roger has a bunch of silhouettes set up at a little over 100 yards. Hitting the 3/8 scale chicken at that range is trying to say the least. But with the Bisley single six it is doable. The target is just a little bigger than the end of a spray paint can but my best was a run of 3 in a row. Then I went on to miss everything the next 3 or 4 cylinders of ammo.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 19:50 (3998 days ago) @ Sarge

[image]

Group shot with a stainless New Model with a 4 5/8 inch barrel using CCI Mini Mag LR
altered with a Hanned Line SGB tool and benched at 25 yards. I must have been having a very good day. The mag cylinder shoots good but not this good.

Regards
Art

Fine shootin' Art!..

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 23:14 (3998 days ago) @ Art

Some of it may be me; I've never liked the NM Blackhawk/Single Six trigger grip frame or factory panels; and I don't do my best shooting with them. I'll slap a set of Fat Pacs on this weekend and shoot it from a rest. Might as well take all the Sarge Error out of the equation as possible, before evaluating the gun.

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, October 18, 2013, 03:55 (3998 days ago) @ Sarge

I have one exactly like yours. It loves the regular 40 grain Winchester JHP. All the hyper velocity smaller grain bullets don't do near as well. I have been rationing out my supply of the 40 grain Winchester loads. Dynamax 45 grainers do almost as well. Seems to me I chronographed that 40 grain WMR load and it was in the high 1400's in fps once from my 6-1/2 inch pre warning SS.

Bob

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, October 18, 2013, 06:38 (3998 days ago) @ Sarge

Something I did not mention is that I have a friend who is a pretty fair gunsmith and he did an amazing action job on this and also on my other Rugers. They have 2.5 pound triggers with zero creep.

Art

RSS Feed of thread