We survived Michigan!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, October 07, 2013, 10:01 (4009 days ago)

My brother and I drove up last Wednesday morning and hunted our way north. A couple other guys came up Wednesday evening and we all headed to the UP on Thursday morning. Thursday was ok but Wednesday, Friday and Saturday were amazing. I bet we saw 30-40 birds a day between the two pairs of us. Skeeter did a great job, pointed a ton of woodcock and some grouse for us. The birds were holding pretty tight but some of them were runners! One guy said he would have had about as much luck with a fishing net as he did with his shotgun! Tight quarters and close, quick shots. I managed to limit out on woodcock on the last day. killed my last bird with my old Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge. Most of the other time I carried a Stoeger made Benelli knock off. It shoots pretty well for me and I'm not upset if it gets wet or beat up!

Unfortunately, our timing wasn't any good to meet up with any of the Michigan sixgunners. Hopefully we can fix that next year. It was hard to drag myself out of bed this morning and Skeeter is still wore out! He'll be licking his wounds for a few days. Didn't see any wolves or bear, but we did find three piles of bear scat; one pretty fresh! Managed to get out of Cabela's without spending too much money either! All in all a pretty good trip!

Some pics

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, October 07, 2013, 10:06 (4009 days ago) @ Slow Hand

[image]

[image]

Tired pooch!

[image]

This aspen kept me from limiting out Friday...

[image]

[image]

Nice Pics...

by Brian A, Monday, October 07, 2013, 19:32 (4009 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Glad you had a good time and found some decent bird numbers. The woodcock numbers have been pretty good but the grouse have been tough to find this year. Interestingly, had not been seeing much in pat numbers until the last couple days, flushed three yesterday and two today. Too bad I was not bird hunting at the time.

Some pics

by John Meeker @, Monday, October 07, 2013, 20:20 (4009 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I have a few of those trophy birch trees, myself. Hard to clean 'em, but memorable.

Nice and classic trip. and, son't those old Mod 37's just sing!?

We survived Michigan!

by TomM, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 09:21 (4008 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Good report...my brother, nephew and myself are getting ready to leave on Thursday for our annual Michigan bird hunting trip. We did the UP trip last year for the fist time...amazing place!
Been getting gear and truck ready for the trip...my male britany is going bonkers...he knows...he knows

We survived Michigan!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 16:23 (4008 days ago) @ TomM

The leaves we're turning nicely last weekend and it poured down rain Saturday and Sunday so hopefully that'll knock some of them off the trees for you. The birds were holding fairly tight for us, but we did have quite a few run on us. I'd recommend the most open choke you've got!

We survived Michigan!

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 15:36 (4008 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Thanks for the update !:-D

RSS Feed of thread