308 recommendations?

by woody, Sunday, October 06, 2013, 17:42 (4009 days ago)
edited by woody, Sunday, October 06, 2013, 17:51

I want a 308 Winchester. Not looking for a tactical gun. Just an entry level hunting gun so I can use all the 308 brass I have. I figured that was a good reason to buy one. Plus I feel un-American not owning a 308!!!! I just wish they made a decent price gun with a wood stock. Kind of getting sick of all the synthetic stocks. The guns I looking at in my price range are the Ruger American,T/C Venture,Savage Axis, and a close out Browning A bolt II. Leaning towards the Browning(never owned a Browning centerfire rifle)and the Ruger. I have an Axis in .223 and it shoots awesome but I replace the trigger on it and the others I listed are adjustable. Plus I don't like the long action only,mag etc.

Anyone one have suggestions? They also have a Ruger Scoutt and Gunsite Scout that I think I will get one down the road some.

I like my 77 international. I think you can find em in LH.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, October 06, 2013, 18:29 (4009 days ago) @ woody

A Savage 99 in 308 might be one to look at ...Remington Mountain rifle in .308 is a handy easy packing accurate rifle, with classic lines.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

308 recommendations?

by anachronism, Sunday, October 06, 2013, 19:45 (4009 days ago) @ woody

I'd probably lean towards the Browning myself, its a cut above the others, and should retain more of its value down the road.

+1

by rob @, Monday, October 07, 2013, 08:19 (4009 days ago) @ anachronism

The A-Bolts are slick and, for me at least, point and hang on target quite nicely. I've never found a rifle that I could shoot offhand as easy as my A-Bolt Hunter 30-06. It was extremely accurate and I let it go because the bore was rough and took hours to clean. I tried to be patient with it hoping it would break in but it was harder than my level of patience at that time. I miss it and would take it back in a heartbeat today. I'm sure mine was an anomaly as far as cleaning goes but I bet in time it would have certainly improved. On the plus side, I can't hardly foul the barrel on my stainless 77 30-06 and it's just as accurate, and though it's not as good offhand as the Browning, it's pretty close. The browning stocks feel like the just lock in place with the body...very nice feel!

A=Bolts a classy lookinmg rifle that doesn't hold up.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, October 07, 2013, 09:40 (4009 days ago) @ rob

Maybe they have a tougher hide these days, but I saw pile of them that just looked thrashed and ugly after a couple Idaho elk seasons. All cosmetic stuff but them seemed to me, to not be as robust as the Winchester Ruger Remington guns....and we had more than one customer loose a magazine which seems impossible but ...

--

I went back and looked at the browning again....

by woody, Monday, October 07, 2013, 09:44 (4009 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I'm going to pass on it. Not really what I'm looking for. Now they had a few Howa's in the rack. They look nice for the money but no 308. Only 270 and 30-06. Might be a good gun for what I want it for.

A=Bolts a classy lookinmg rifle that doesn't hold up.

by rob @, Monday, October 07, 2013, 09:52 (4009 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The Ruger 77's are the best in my opinion. They are tough, accurate and reliable as the sun.

I still like them...

by rob @, Monday, October 07, 2013, 19:05 (4008 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I don't think I'd use an A-Bolt Medallion or a White Gold version as a knock-around rifle, but a Stainless Stalker should hold up just fine. But, for serious duty I'd go with the Ruger 77 followed by a Model 70-POST 64. Not to be trollish at all but my experience is the newer Model 70's are more accurate and if a case lets go a bit less offensive.

Yep...

by Charles, Monday, October 07, 2013, 11:10 (4009 days ago) @ woody

I have four 308 rifles and think it is the ideal lower 48 deer and critter cartridge.

For the budget shooter, the Savage bolt guns is the best deal. They are well made and very accurate.

If you are a classic type, hunt up a Winchester 88 levergun. I two of these both in 308..great rifles.

I also have a Savage bolt gun (left handed) and a Remington 700 heavy barrel varmint rifle also left handed.

308 recommendations?

by Jared, Monday, October 07, 2013, 14:05 (4009 days ago) @ woody

My favorite .308s are a customized Remington m7 18.5" barrel and right on 7# loaded(I have a Leupold 3-9 compact and bell and Carson stock on it) , a 1956 Winchester 88 with a 2-7 Leupold, and a Springfield M1a scout squad.

Thanks for all the info

by woody, Monday, October 07, 2013, 19:12 (4008 days ago) @ Jared

I'm going to keep my eye out for a used gun. I really want a wood stocked gun so I think I will look for a Ruger 77. I have a 77 in 257 Roberts and love that gun. If not a Ruger a 700. Never had any issues with the 700's I've had.

Model Sevens are nice and if you can get lucky...

by rob @, Monday, October 07, 2013, 22:41 (4008 days ago) @ woody

and find a 788 you will have found a real gem! I had an 18" barreled 788 in 7-08 that was very accurate and nicely sized for a hunting rifle. I sold it when we bought our first home for down payment money and I sure wish I had it back. The same rifle in .308 would be even better.

Thanks for all the info

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Monday, October 07, 2013, 22:59 (4008 days ago) @ woody

I have a Savage 308 that's a great shooting rifle but due to a recent lackluster customer service experience with Savage regarding a new 223 bolt rifle that I ordered and received; I'm steering clear of new Savages in the future unless I can inspect the rifle thoroughly before I pay. I have a friend with a year old FN Winchester that's a great rifle and I certainly wouldn't pass up a deal on a Remington or Ruger. In the Brownings I have an older steel frame BLR that's been a solid rifle for me, in 358, although I've never been inspired by the looks of the BLR.

308 recommendations?

by J.B.MILLER @, JAWGA, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 13:56 (4008 days ago) @ woody

I prefer a Browning 1919 A4 in 308 with a 250 round belt. It's hard to be humble when your belt feed. J.B.

THE WINNER!!!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 22:47 (4007 days ago) @ J.B.MILLER

:-D

--

308 recommendations?

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 17:55 (4007 days ago) @ woody

Can't beat a 308 for critters or just plinking. You say no synthetic stock? Remember no change of zero when humidity and temp changes. The synthetic are for a reason. HB or sporter the Savage is the best on todays market from the standpoint of accuracy and dependability. :-)

Thanks Lee

by woody, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 18:11 (4007 days ago) @ Lee J.

Just looking to get something different. That is why I wanted wood. I have a bunch of synthetic guns. I would mainly be using the gun for woods hunting and still hunting for whitetails. This summer I may get a HB gun for longer range and the will be synthetic. I do know where there is a nice Savage 11. I have an Axis in .223 and it is the most accurate rifle I own with 40 gr Vmax and also the cheapest. It doesn't like heavier 50-55 gr bullets. But I shoot the vmax for coyotes and woodchucks. They are DRT.

RSS Feed of thread