Remember when these were cheap and plentiful?

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, September 29, 2013, 18:07 (4017 days ago)

Haven't seen many around lately. Did a little low budget trading today.

[image]

picked up one when they started drying up

by stonewalrus, Sunday, September 29, 2013, 20:31 (4017 days ago) @ Andrew

Good gun in their day and for the money back then. For what they ask for them now I bought a used Smith and Wesson M&P compact in 9mm - a whole lot more gun. Won't sell my Mak but there are so many more choices now.

by Catoosa, Sunday, September 29, 2013, 22:11 (4017 days ago) @ Andrew

I also remember when a very nice SKS could be bought for $89.95. Saw one at a show a couple weeks ago marked $450!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, September 30, 2013, 04:11 (4016 days ago) @ Catoosa

We have a shop locally that has a back room that used to be full of SKS's with a smattering of AK's, Mausers, Enfields... They had full size Chinese SKS's for $69. A full sized Russian or a Chinese paratrooper was $79. I forget what ammo was but t seems like
You could buy a thousand rounds fr close to the cost of a rifle. I was in high school at the time and oh, how I with I would e bought one of those a week and stowed them away in my parents attic!!

by Catoosa, Monday, September 30, 2013, 20:48 (4016 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I wonder what one of the little Norinco Para carbines would cost now, IF you could find one. I paid $139 for mine back when, and they had already begun to go up then. Haven't seen one for sale in years.

Well... I can tell ya I paid $69 each for the last three

by John K., Monday, September 30, 2013, 21:10 (4016 days ago) @ Catoosa

I bought. Only have one Norinco Para now.

As I recall, a 1000rnd case of ammo was about the same. A fella could get an SKS and 1,000rnds of ammo OTD for around $200.

Circa 1991.

Para goodness.......

by Catoosa, Monday, September 30, 2013, 21:31 (4016 days ago) @ John K.

The standard size SKS is kinda big and heavy for the cartridge it shoots, but the Para is just right. In a Choate stock, and with a Williams Firesight front and large-aperture rear, it makes a great utility varmint and farm security rifle. Mine goes on the 4-Runner rack pretty much every time my butt goes on the seat.

Well... I can tell ya I paid $69 each for the last three

by Jared, Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 10:38 (4015 days ago) @ John K.

I paid $119 for my Norinco in '93 after slick willie got elected. I remember when ammo went over $100 a case every one thought that was outrageous. Too bad I didn't have more money back then.

RSS Feed of thread