Wolf protection?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 09:04 (4020 days ago)

Heading to the UP of Michigan next week and I've read there are wolves up there. I'll be toting a 12 ga auto loader, but 7 1/2's won't do much for a big canine. I'll carry a pistol with me, am torn on which one. As much as I hate to say it, I'm thinking my Glock 19 or 22 would be my best choice. I've got .45 Blackhawks and .45 acp 1911's, but I'm thinking capacity and weather ruggedness are good points to have. I shoot all of them to feel confident, but I'm leaning toward the glocks. I'm thinking JHP's would be called for, due to not needing penetration like on bigger animals. I've never thought of havin to shoot a big dog dog before so
This is new to me! Any suggestions or opinions welcome!

Thanks,
Doug K

Wolf protection?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 09:06 (4020 days ago) @ Slow Hand

PS, the shotgun is a Stoeger of the Benelli type so swapping the shell in the chamber is quick and easy. Last year I carried some slugs in Safariland clip on shotshell holders in case of bear contact. I could use them but filled with OO Buck instead...

I've shot lots of dogs, mostly feral that were killing stock

by John K., Thursday, September 26, 2013, 09:16 (4020 days ago) @ Slow Hand

or chasing deer.

Shotguns suck, even 00. Then again, I was trying to kill them and they were trying to get away so ranges were not self defense ranges.

I wouldn't worry too much about a wolf attack, and if one did, I would put money on a sudden reversal of priorities if it absorbed a load of birdshot at ten feet. Still, it would be a good idea to have a few slugs or buck for contingencies. Check game laws first - don't want to be charged with hunting big game out of season just because of the ammo you are carrying.

Here's something to think about

by Catoosa, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 11:55 (4020 days ago) @ Slow Hand

If you should encounter a wolf or wolves (and they don't run away quickly), they or it will likely just hang around and watch you for a while. In that event, a good sprinkle at 35 or 40 yards with a load of 7 1/2 will convey the message that humans are not good critters to be too curious about. If, OTOH, it or they get close enough to you that the shooting situation gets serious, 7 1/2s in the face at 10 yards will do the business AND be more defensible in case the critter cops take offense at you shooting one of their precious wolves.

I'm just sayin'.

Good points...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 12:07 (4020 days ago) @ Catoosa

I think I failed to mention earlier, we'll be hunting with our dogs, both English setters. My pooch, Skeeter, is getting older and stays a little closer than he used to, but this is our first hunt of the year and I'm sure he'll range out a little further. I'm worried about him gettin into it if any wolves show up. He's big on protecting us, so I can see him tryin to tangle with anything that looks like a threat! That's why I'm thinking a handgun with a single projectile would be better than the shotgun. I guess I'll just have to be extra careful and if anything shows up, err on the side of caution...

Triple Sierra

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 14:08 (4020 days ago) @ Slow Hand

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Throw the radio collar.....

by Otony, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:38 (4020 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

.......in a river attached to a piece of wood too!

Wear gloves when you handle it...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 17:56 (4020 days ago) @ Otony

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Wear gloves when you handle it...

by Gary G, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 20:07 (4019 days ago) @ Hobie

Put the muzzle to the body of the collar and turn to mush, Battery enclosed in case.
Telemetry Collar beeps with no record it will just quit.

GPS Collar is same as far as battery is concerned but will record position to the disabling point. Follow above advice on wood. probably have Garmin stamped on it somewhere.

Shoot, shovel and what..............

by Byron, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 18:28 (4020 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Shoot, Shovel and Shut the H#$% Up !

by Jhenry, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 21:03 (4019 days ago) @ Byron

Probably the best strategy.

So m uch for subtlety

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, September 27, 2013, 10:15 (4019 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

about as subtle as a wolf in a china shop...yet another regret.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread