Going Grouse hunting

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Sunday, September 22, 2013, 19:22 (4024 days ago)

I am going by myself in my little egg style camper , my Ruger 28 gauge o/u. And enough food for a few days. you all take care :-D

Sounds like a fine time...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 21:01 (4024 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Some of my fondest memories are of winter camping in a secluded hollow of the Ozark foothills. I was 15-16 years old and I'd pack in canned goods, the best bag I could muster, a tarp to sleep on, under and an old Single Six. Water wasn't a problem because there was a spring gushing from the hillside. You can still get a good cold drink there, winter or summer.

[image]

I'd often catch quail walking along single file and knock one over with the .22 & broast it over hickory coals that night.

That spring: one l;ike that sans pipe up on Freezeout Ridge

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 21:40 (4023 days ago) @ Sarge

Clear Water Mountains Idaho. Old dutch over surrounded by rocks below a little water fall. A feller can fill his canteen right there.
28 gauge for grouse sounds fun.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Hope you have a great time...

by Brian A, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 23:36 (4023 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Grouse numbers are down in much of MI, but time in the woods is always good.

Hope you have a great time...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, September 23, 2013, 04:52 (4023 days ago) @ Brian A

Brian,
Where in MI are you? We're headed to the UP next Wednesday. Probably hunt our way up
Starting around Caddilac and the next few days in the Newberry area. Looking for grouse and woodcock.

Going Grouse hunting

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, September 23, 2013, 04:54 (4023 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Sounds great! We're headed up that way next week. We were hoping to
Camp, but our buddy with the camper couldn't make it so we'll have to rough it in a hotel!

Sounds like a great time.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, September 23, 2013, 07:34 (4023 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Best of luck!

Not Brian, but...

by Mark Stevenson @, Monday, September 23, 2013, 13:41 (4023 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Brian and I live 7 miles apart in Crawford County (Grayling) MI.
Think center of the state up near the 45th Parallel (Or second knuckle-middle finger in Michigan hand map speak.) :^)
I-75 Exit 254.

Ha!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 03:52 (4022 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

We're planning in staying Wednesday night in Grayling! We have been in the Cadillac area the past few years but this year were headed Cor the UP. We are leaving Indy around 4 am and will be hunting after lunch. Our buddies are coming up after work and meeting us in Grayling late Wednesday evening. Then Thursday morning were headed north to the Newberry area and will spend the weekend up there. We're hoping the idea won't have been hunted so hard further north. Last year was pretty rough; cold and rainy most of the time we were up there hopefully this year will be better!

Wed. 9/25 ?

by Mark Stevenson @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 04:20 (4022 days ago) @ Slow Hand

If you are coming through tomorrow, give me a call please. Maybe we can meet for a coffee or something. 9896one99290

Mark

Wed. 9/25 ?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 04:59 (4022 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Sorry, next Wednesday. I believe it's the 2nd. We have several spots we've had luck at that we'd like to hit on the way up, but it looks like there is a lot of area to the East of Grayling as well. I think we could hunt different spots every year and still not run out of places!!

Wed. 9/25 ?

by Brian A, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 21:22 (4022 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Next week would be much less hectic for me than this week. If you and Mark can figure out some time to get together, please keep me in the loop. There is indeed plenty of public land around here to explore, several counties in these parts consist of a majority of public forest land.

Please call. We can guide you to some good spots.

by Mark Stevenson, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 06:56 (4021 days ago) @ Slow Hand

If nothing else, let's get together for a coffee or something.

9896one99290

Mark

by Mark Stevenson, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 08:15 (4021 days ago) @ Slow Hand

If nothing else, let's get together for a coffee or something.

9896one99290

Mark

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 11:57 (4021 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Mark,
Sorry to call you at work today. If you can, gove me a call back tonight when you are free and we can talk about more fun stuff than our conversation today!

Doug K
317-695-ninety nine fifty four

Let's talk tonight.

by Mark Stevenson, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 05:17 (4020 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I left you a voicemail last night, I'll try calling tonight.

Going Grouse hunting

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, September 26, 2013, 14:22 (4020 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Had a great time, two Grouse and two Woodcock, flushed 19 Grouse and 8 woodcock . the leaves were still on the trees. And no dog. if I could ever figure out how to post pictures , my life would be compleat .:-D

RSS Feed of thread