Back from DC. Worked, walked, experienced a lot

by brionic @, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 19:00 (4025 days ago)

I wrote a big post, but scratched and decided to keep it simple.

We went to DC for a series of pediatric cancer conferences. My wife knocked the socks off multiple principals. For an encore she scored big points with two IA congressmen and one senator in private meetings. Now the calls are coming in for more meetings next week. We are proud of her, again, as you who have followed along are aware.

My boys spent hours with me at the Holocaust Museum. Now, they get it. By "it" I mean the unspeakable evil of which humans are capable, AND the need to recognize and act when confronted. I am proud and humbled by their courage and maturity. Molon labe.

Also:

Robert E Lee
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Society of the Cincinnati
Tomb of the Unknowns

Plus a lot more, too much, honestly, and not enough. Blisters be damned.

Back from DC. Worked, walked, experienced a lot

by Jhenry, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 22:21 (4024 days ago) @ brionic

DC is a great place to visit, but you need a couple of weeks to see everything.

Now, they get it. worth the whole trip

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 10:00 (4024 days ago) @ brionic
edited by Rob Leahy, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 11:23

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Sounds like a good trip.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 10:41 (4024 days ago) @ brionic

I have mixed emotions about visiting DC. I should do it but, but, it's WASHINGTON, DC for gosh-sake.

Belly of the beast. Should be hallmark of our freedoms and

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 22:56 (4023 days ago) @ Hoot

showcase of Liberty...instead it is emulating Mordor...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Much like everything else, the institutions rule the day

by brionic @, Monday, September 23, 2013, 10:31 (4023 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

but the kernels of truth are easy to find if one puts his mind to it.

The Library of Congress is such a place. One can read from their extensive collection of Elmer Keith and Townsend Whelen's works, for example. The maps collection is astonishing, to say the least. Next time we're out there, my 'brary card will allow access to the reading rooms.

The Smithsonian museums alone beg for months of study, depending on one's interests. We spent hours in the gems, minerals, and crystals exhibit due to boy #2's fascination.

Sadly, we were unable to make it out to the National Firearms Museum. I had arranged to meet Phil and Jim, but time and distance interfered with that plan. Argh.

That is awesome.

by mcassill, Monday, September 23, 2013, 20:10 (4023 days ago) @ brionic

RSS Feed of thread