The answer to my question

by ScottL, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 19:44 (4026 days ago)

So I read the replies and thought real hard and decided I still didn't know what the hell I wanted to do. So I went over to talk to my dealer and do some coon fingering. Glock 27, several different sizes of 1911's and then some of the Springfield XD line up. Weight and bulk were my two main concerns. Turns out 1911's are heavier than they look no matter what size they are. I thought long and hard about a G27 but decided I want to move away from the unsupported chamber in the Glock. So it's on to the XD models.

With the bigger XD's I had the same issues I have with my G22. The weight and bulk were more than I wanted. Then I started coon fingering the XDs. Slim, light, .45 caliber and it feels good in my hand. I kept putting it down and looking over other choices. I kept going back to the XDs. Then as if a sign from above the little gal who works there (Cute AND very gun savvy) come packing a used XDs out of the back and proceeds to tag it up and put it in the case. So I now have a used XDs on lay away and two extended mags on order. All for well under half of what I was willing to spend on a 1911.

Now to address the training. I have a friend who retired after 12 years on the SWAT team who is willing to work with me and teach me. A good friends best friend (Long road, I know) who does a lot of traing for the county and local PD's is willing to work with me also. I'd love to hit Thunder Ranch or Gunsite but my wallet and work schedule just wont allow it. So I'll work with the guys I can to get better.

Thanks again for all the advice, opinions and kind thoughts.

Scootter

An XDs .45 and training is a great anwesr to the question...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 20:16 (4026 days ago) @ ScottL

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

An XDs .45 and training is a great anwesr to the question...

by Flatlander, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 21:59 (4026 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Love that gun myself! Keep knocking around the idea of the 9mm version for easier practice.

But then, I also really dig the flat latch 36 I just picked up ... And the little Colt 1903 ...

The answer to my question

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 23:54 (4026 days ago) @ ScottL

I couldn't decide and bought both the 9mm Shield and the XDs 45

Me too!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, September 20, 2013, 11:23 (4026 days ago) @ Warhawk

--

Good choice...

by matt/pa @, Friday, September 20, 2013, 12:28 (4026 days ago) @ ScottL

The XDs 45 is my main spring/summer carry gun now. It is carried in Simply Rugged leather (belt or pocket holsters). Mine is back at Springfield for the recall right now...but that doesn't change anything. It is a great little gun.

Matt/PA

Call me wrong, but....

by Murphy @, Friday, September 20, 2013, 13:54 (4026 days ago) @ ScottL

Springfield XD's are what the Glock should have been.

My 'Dream Gun' for packing use to be a Glock 21 with a full 5" barrel, slimmed down to an 8 round mag grip frame. Add a grip safety and call me happy.

Murphy

Myrph, with the extended magazine, these XDs' feel like

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, September 20, 2013, 19:23 (4025 days ago) @ Murphy

a full size service gun, but for the sort barrel. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 4-5" barreled version with the same short grip frame...

--

Shoot like one too.

by Jared, Friday, September 20, 2013, 20:08 (4025 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I would buy one with a 4"+ barrel and the same short grip.

You're not wrong...

by rob @, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 10:19 (4025 days ago) @ Murphy

I will never buy another Glock. I've tried them in models 19 (two), 23, 36 and Gen 4 21. I either can't get a good reach on the trigger (21) or get slide bite from the smaller versions. If I ever buy another semi-auto for daily carry it will be an XDs .45. They are perfectly sized and everything I've read says 100% reliable. I currently carry a 4" GP100 every day and I'm really quite happy with it. The only real benefit to the XDs for me is not getting sweat/rust under the grips as happens on all stainless revolvers I carry in the summer months.

RSS Feed of thread