Why I have so many guns....

by woody, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 16:12 (4028 days ago)
edited by woody, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 16:16

Am I the only one that always has a project gun or two to work on? I have gone through different phases in what I like to tinker with. Went through a phase on putting together and getting good patterning turkey guns, slug guns , SxS's,Single Sixes,1911's etc. currently I'm working on a lever gun since I can now hunt in my county with a rifle. This winters project will be a bolt gun as soon as I find an action to start the project. Sometimes they don't get used much after I get them set up but other become my favorite. Once in a great while I will sell one. But not often since they are set up as I like them and I have 3 boys coming up on hunting age. So that is how I end up with so many guns. I had a guy ask me at work why I had so many and I explained it. Then he understood why. He is the same way with mini bikes and lawn mowers. I just wish I had more machining skills and tools so I don't have to have someone else do some of the metal work.

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 17:03 (4028 days ago) @ woody

I'm in the same boat. I always have several projects in the works and for me the pleasure is derived from the process rather than the arrival at the finish.

Indeed, I have... no, I'm not gonna tell how many project

by John K., Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 17:35 (4028 days ago) @ woody

guns are stacked up in boxes. Enough that I made up a spreadsheet to keep track.

Sometimes (usually?), the final product wasn't worth the effort; however the point was the journey, not the destination.

Post some pictures of your stuff?

I only need one more...............

by Bud, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 18:09 (4028 days ago) @ John K.

x

I only need one more...............

by bob, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 19:49 (4028 days ago) @ Bud

yah Bud, that's what I tell my wife too!

....the next one.

by cas, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 08:56 (4027 days ago) @ bob

;-)

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 20:01 (4028 days ago) @ woody

I go through the "project" phase and enjoy the gun for a while, then on to something else. Don't sell anything. 1911's, SA's, revolvers, etc....

Hear ya Woody.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 21:20 (4028 days ago) @ woody

We got to talking about such things the other day and Miss Melodie asked me, "How many projects do you have?" Innocent enough of a question so I began to recount, "Well, there's the No. 1 that needs to be rebored to 9.3x62, then there's the P-14 that will become a .35-303, then there's the Mk 4 Enfield that needs to be rechambered to .303 Epps, and the 1917 which will be a 8mm Mag, and half a dozen Mauser actions for various wild hairs, then a Flattop .357 which needs to become a .45 Schofield and...and...and..." As we walked, I recalled more and more things squirreled away for various reasons. I may never live long enough to get to all of them but, by God, I have projects. My heirs are going to have a field day.

by Jared, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 21:29 (4027 days ago) @ woody

I am in the same boat I know there are several I will never get to, but it is fun just to plan out what you want to do.

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 22:14 (4027 days ago) @ woody

Well Woody, get yourself an inexpensive USED lathe and teach yourself, I started late in life about age 30. At nearly 80 still playing, between Cancer treatments.
My kids and Grandkids can worry about getting rid of the stuff, but still have Linebaugh build me some stuff. :-P

Hope I'm as spry as Lee

by Bud, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 10:57 (4027 days ago) @ Lee J.

when I'm 84 !!

RSS Feed of thread