Compact 1911's

by ScottL, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 10:03 (4031 days ago)

Hey everybody, It's been a while but I'm still around, usually lurking in the background. The long legged blonde is still keeping me healthy (Proven by my belt size) and the kids are growing like weeds.

I have been thinking about it for quite a while now and I believe I'm going to get myself a compact 1911 for full time carry to replace my Glock 22. I still love my Glock and it will stay in the herd but I'm looking for something a little smaller for easier concealment and a little more comfort.

I was at ACE hardware the other day and they have a Colt New Agent in their case. Small, comfortable and not a lot of extra dewdads on it. I was a little thrown by the lack of sights but I can see how a guy could get used to it fairly quickly with practice. The tag said $1150 and I know these guys are always overpriced.

This leads to my question. What compact 1911 would you pick if you were looking to spend $1000 to $1500?

As always thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Scootter

Compact 1911's

by Otony, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 10:13 (4031 days ago) @ ScottL

Scott,

Wholesale on the New Agent is around $950 if I recall correctly. Past that I don't have a lot to offer save that compact 1911s have a reputation for spotty performance. Whether or not that is deserved is another story.

Problems frequently reported over at the 1911 forum seem to center around feeding issues. All of the various manufacturer's compacts have been mentioned as having issues at one time or another, but the general consensus would seem to indicate that you get what you pay for. In other words, don't cheap out, which isn't something I recall you doing much of anyway.

I happen to have an itch for a New Agent, so maybe I can give you a real report on one some day, but in the meanwhile, I tend to rely on my Para-USA Commander.

Otony, who is glad to see you here again.

Hey Scooter! Nice to hear from you

by Jhenry, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 10:52 (4031 days ago) @ ScottL

I like the old Combat Commander myself. Not as compact as some of the more abbreviated newer stuff, but the feeding and cycling issues are not present either. Smaller then the G22 as well.

Still riding? I picked up an evo Super Glide to go with my old Z1. Bikes Blues and Barbeque is coming right up in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and our Tennessee state rally is right around the corner in Memphis. We have had very cooperative weather this year.

Compact 1911's

by Jared, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:00 (4031 days ago) @ ScottL

I would get a Colt CCO or the Dan Wesson version of the same. It is basically a Commander slide with a Officers/Agent length Aluminum lower. Personally I think it is the best compromise for a small 1911. The short barrel (under 4") 1911s have a reputation for spotty reliability.

S&W E-series in my experience is the best off the shelf

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:13 (4031 days ago) @ ScottL

I have manged to stumble upon several used but nice custom 1911s lately. Shoot me an e-mail I know of a real nice Garthwaite built gun alloy ACP frame with Commander length Colt Slide.

--

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Compact 1911's

by anachronism, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 13:21 (4031 days ago) @ ScottL

My personal favorite has always been the Colt Defender. It was designed by Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide, and is Colts production version of his handmade "Adventurer".

If it's romance you want, there is always the Detonics Combat Master.

Compact 1911's

by rob @, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 15:27 (4031 days ago) @ ScottL

The smallest 1911 I'm comfortable with is the Commander sized guns. I'd be very content with a Ruger SR1911 Commander. Any smaller and I would go to the XDs .45. Not a 1911, I know, but they seem to be acquiring a reputation for reliability.

Welcome back.....

by Byron, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 17:09 (4031 days ago) @ ScottL

As I recall you are large man and so you will have little difficulty concealing/carrying a full size GM in the proper holster.

You ask my advice and it is to not worry about the "compact" GMs and instead go with a full size pistol.

More reliable, more versatile and just as easy to tuck away. Remember, the slide length has very little to do with hiding the gun. It is thickness and the size of the grip. The full-size will tuck away into a IWB holster so that it does not print under a loose tee shirt.

This of course unless you plan on carrying it in your pocket.

Good to hear you and yours are well.

Byron

PS....

by Byron, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 17:22 (4031 days ago) @ Byron

Another thing to consider....

Unless you are really flush I think that spending over a grand on a 1911 is unnecessary and probably heading in the wrong direction, in and of itself.

You already have the Glock that will do everything the 1911 will do.

If I was you I would take that 1K and line up some ammo and a good gunslinger class for you and your wife.

You will both be better off afterwards, all 'round.

What I would do if I was you.

Byron

PS....

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 18:02 (4031 days ago) @ Byron

Hey scotterass, good to see you around. I'll second Byron on full size, and extra dough on a class. Never too much practice. :-D

This is true...

by rob @, Monday, September 16, 2013, 07:45 (4030 days ago) @ Byron

I've flirted with a couple Commanders and both were 100% reliable but they don't carry any easier than a 5" gun. I only carry real guns, no pocket stuff for me and that generally means a 4" GP100 or a 5" 1911. Both are easy to carry and hide on my 200Lb frame.

A Commander is 27 oz and MUCh easier to tote all day.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, September 16, 2013, 19:23 (4030 days ago) @ rob

A Combat Commander is not much different from a GM...

--

Well, true that...

by rob @, Monday, September 16, 2013, 20:01 (4030 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I like all steel guns:)

Unfortunately large man is an understatement

by ScottL, Friday, September 20, 2013, 20:53 (4026 days ago) @ Byron

Part of the problem is that I have gotten to damned big and it is uncomfortable to conceal a full size rig. That's what sent me on the hunt for a compact in the first place.

Hey, Scooter

by Catoosa, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 21:51 (4030 days ago) @ ScottL

Good to see you up and running. +1 on the Commander - I am not nearly as big as you are and I have no trouble carrying a Combat Commander. A good holster is the key.

Love my Colt 1991A1, but the new Ruger Commander-size 1911 looks like a winner too.

Glock 30SF or a 27 since you shoot .40 already

by Jeff Taylor @, Tampa FL, Monday, September 16, 2013, 10:56 (4030 days ago) @ ScottL

Ok, I know you said compact 1911. I have and love my 1911s but they are range shooters and tinker guns in my use. For carry ans serious shooting I have Glocks, as do you apparently. My favorite is the Glock 30SF. I know the 36 and new 30S are all the rage but I prefer the larger slide. The SF frame is a great fit and feel for me too.

Since you have the Glock 22 you could consider a 27 so you have ammunition and magazine interchangability. I personally believe the 27 is a handful little cannon but if you shoot .40 already that is a real consideration. I prefer a 26 in the sub-compact size if I'm want something a bit smaller than the 30SF.

Not a 1911 recommendation but one that you should consider for practicality.

--
Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

Compact 1911's: Or Springfiekld's excellent little XDs.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, September 16, 2013, 11:44 (4030 days ago) @ ScottL

I have had mine over a year now, it is compact reliable around 500.00 and shoots great. My particular XDs was not recalled. In spite of the recall mess, I will get another.

--

Hey Scootter!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 21:35 (4027 days ago) @ ScottL

Glad to see your handle here'bouts. Been a while.

I may be the only contrarian but I have had a 3" Para Warthog for a couple-three years now. It has been solidly reliable and eats everything I've thrown at it. The round count isn't in the stratosphere, probably more like 3-400 rounds but it's accurate, reliable and 10x.45ACP usually isn't a wrong answer.

You really should post more. Always good to see you.

Surprisingly my son has a 3" ATI 1911 that has been very

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 22:01 (4027 days ago) @ Hoot

Reliable. Not a plinker but not real nasty to shoot. I've seen him ring steel plates at 100 yards with it. I'd rather go with something closer to 4" though.

RSS Feed of thread