Question about the "classic" S&W revolvers.....

by Harry O-1, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 13:42 (4035 days ago)

A couple of gunshops near here have gotten in several of the new "classic" S&W revolvers. These are the K-38's, K-22's, and Model 15's that are styled like the ones that I grew up with from the late-1960's to late-1980's or so. The major difference, of course, is that they are $900 to $1,200 now instead of in the $200-$300 range back then.

The question I have is WHY S&W put such ugly handgrips on them. I could live with the laminated grips, even the off-colors of some of them. What I cannot live with is the grips have almost square corners instead of being rounded like your hand when it grips them. There is virtually no shaping to them. Surely they could have duplicated the classic "coke bottle" grips that everyone likes. Even the original rounded skimpy-grips would have been better. At least I could add a grip adapter like I did when I was young.

I was thinking about reliving my past with a new version of a few of them. Because of the grips, I am still thinking.

Question about the "classic" S&W revolvers.....

by Catoosa, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 16:06 (4035 days ago) @ Harry O-1

S&W does not care if you shoot them or not, so they give little thought to the "shootability" of those "classics". They evidently figure that the majority of those guns will be safe queens, bought by amateur collectors who would not know the difference as long as the gun was shiny and expensive. They serve exactly the same purpose as the "instant collector's item" guns with gold bling and commemorative inscriptions that you see advertised in the gunrags. Namely, separating those who don't know any better from their money.

I HAVE BOTH THE .22 AND .38 . THE GRIP SCREWS ARE SO

by SIXGUNNER, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 18:05 (4035 days ago) @ Harry O-1

YOU CAN APPLY A PROPER SCREW DRIVER AND TOSS THEM AWAY. MINE WEAR BLUMAGNUM GRIPS NOW. THEY ALSO SHOOT VERY WELL. SMITH & WESSON HASN'T MADE A DECENT PAIR OF WOODEN GRIPS SINCE THE EARLY 90s. I CALLED THEM ON IT THEN AND THEY TRIED TO TELL ME THEY WERE STILL MADE THE SAME WAY. IN THE WORDS OF BIG JAKE:"NOT HARDLY"

I stand by my oath...the next new S&W I'll by will be when..

by rob @, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 19:46 (4035 days ago) @ Harry O-1

they eliminate the Bill Clinton tribute lock on the side. If they wold make a 629 Classic 6.5" again without a lock I'd even break my rule and put one on a credit card just to show my support. Until then there is Ruger and the used gun market. I personally can't believe...oh never mind...nobody cares anyway. Getting off rant box now.

+1. No keys ever. nm

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 21:55 (4035 days ago) @ rob

Grips are not like Herpes

by Charles, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 10:56 (4034 days ago) @ Harry O-1

they are not forever and can be changed. No need to not have a fine sixgun because you don't like the factory grips.

Mine is a .44 Spl. I don't find the grips objectional and...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 11:08 (4034 days ago) @ Harry O-1

the danged thing SHOOTS!

It ain't gonna happen, you're just missing out...

by Boge Quinn, Friday, September 13, 2013, 13:57 (4033 days ago) @ rob

...on some mighty fine sixguns.

I know you are correct...

by rob @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 20:16 (4033 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

I sold a 4" 629 and a 4" 625 45 Colt Mountain Gun because I couldn't quit obsessing over the locks. They were probably two of the most accurate sixguns I've owned and extremely well fitted. I should just get over it but I'm not sure I ever will. The only Smith I really want at this point is a 6.5" 629 Classic to replace the one I foolishly let go. I may change my mind later but for now the plan is to replace it with a 7.5" Redhawk.

RSS Feed of thread