This law went into effect yesterday in Texas.

by MR, FTW, TX, Monday, September 02, 2013, 16:46 (4044 days ago)

Governor Perry Signs Bill to Legalize Switchblades

UPDATE (June 14, 2013) – Thank you Governor Rick Perry for signing HB 1862. Effective September 1, 2013, it is no longer illegal to possess, manufacture, transport, repair or sell switchblades in the state of Texas.

'bout time. I can legally in Texas carry a concealed silenced pistol. Now I can carry a an assisted opening 2 inch bladed pocket knife too if I choose.

This law went into effect yesterday in Texas.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, September 02, 2013, 17:34 (4044 days ago) @ MR

Ascot that passed back in July. Along with hunting with silencers. I have messed around and not picked up a switchblade yet, but am already planning on doing as much silenced hunting as I can!!

And yeah; here we could carry a silenced full auto concealed or open but couldnt carry an automatic knife!

I'll be happy when they rescind the law against...

by rob @, Monday, September 02, 2013, 17:48 (4044 days ago) @ MR

Bowies!

Bowie? I've driven through there frequently

by bj2, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 00:22 (4044 days ago) @ rob

According to the internet- this is TX state law:

"(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by
being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto,
and poniard;
(D) sword; or
(E) spear."

Nothing prohibiting Bowie knives, except for the maximum length. It is generally recognized that the false edge of a Bowie should not be sharpened.

If it is under 6" it ain't really a Bowie...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 09:34 (4043 days ago) @ bj2

If I lived in such a prohibitive state, I would carry a Cold Steel 5.5" Vaquero Grande...Lynn designed it to beat Texas state laws and still be a devastating blade.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

That is the knife on my "Real Soon" list!

by rob @, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 19:06 (4043 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

It isn't aesthetically pleasing, at least to me, but dang if that's not a fierce blade!

you can own and use longer knives

by bj2, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:31 (4043 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Probably not a kitchen anywhere in the state that doesn't have knives longer than 5.5". CARRYING the knife on your person while attacting the attention of law enforcement is where it can get tricky.

I am assuming that if you look like you are up to no good and you have a long knife, then that would be cause to haul you in. If you are headed to the lake for some fishing and have a long fillet knife I don't think it would be a problem.

It was nice to return to MO and find that the case here too.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Monday, September 02, 2013, 18:47 (4044 days ago) @ MR

NM

Federal law is still a problem

by bj2, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 00:25 (4044 days ago) @ MR

We should use the term "automatic" instead of "switchblade" since it has a better connotation.

My understanding is that they cannot be legally imported into the US, and cannot be shipped across state lines except to a dealer. So a Texas resident must buy from a Texas resident or a Texas retailer. I have not been able to find any online Texas retailers that sell them. I used to see them occasionally at gun shows but I'm not going to another gun show until some of the hysteria from last year settles down.

Benchmade dealers will probably be your best bet.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 09:35 (4043 days ago) @ bj2
edited by Rob Leahy, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 09:51

They make a nice automatic blade.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

lotds of 'automatic knivers' for sale on gunbroker

by cable, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 10:53 (4043 days ago) @ bj2

all sorts of quality and prices

:-)

Cannot be shipped per federal law

by Bj2, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 18:42 (4043 days ago) @ cable

Cannot be shipped across state lines to a private individual

I've contacted all the dealers I can find and they don't sell them because they don't understand all of the different laws

Cannot be shipped per federal law

by cable, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 18:57 (4043 days ago) @ Bj2

dang ! must depend on the dealer, or maybe they didnt know any better. i DO KNOW that is has happened :-D

people ship all kinds of things

by bj2, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:28 (4043 days ago) @ cable

I would not attempt to ship anything illegal because I don't want to face the consequences if caught. I would rather buy from a legitimate in-state dealer.

RSS Feed of thread