Cramer No. 3

by Charles, Thursday, August 29, 2013, 21:56 (4048 days ago)

Looking through my bullet mold inventory, I found a 2 cavity Cramer No. 3. I have never cast with it, but picked it up on the cheap a number of years ago. I can't seem to find anything on it other than a pic in an old Cramer catalog.

It is supposed to be a 255 grain .454 bullet for the 45 Colt Single Action Army (per the catalog. Now here is the difference, It is a semi-wadcutter alright, but has a round nose in place of the Keith FN. The RN is quite short and squat.

Anybody have any experience or knowledge about this mold?

Nope....

by Glen, Thursday, August 29, 2013, 22:49 (4048 days ago) @ Charles

....but it looks like an interesting bullet.

Wanna Try It Out?

by Charles, Friday, August 30, 2013, 10:53 (4047 days ago) @ Glen

I will send it to you with a set of Cramer handles to play with. When you are through playing send it back along with a couple hundred bullets. You can be the first kid on you block to shoot this bullet.

Thank you for the offer....

by Glen, Friday, August 30, 2013, 12:48 (4047 days ago) @ Charles

....but I think I'll pass. I have enough shooting projects to keep me busy for the moment, and with a move likely to happen in the near future, I don't want your mould to get lost in the shuffle.

Cramer No. 3

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, August 30, 2013, 04:04 (4047 days ago) @ Charles

Sounds like an oddball to me! Seems I remember Keith claiming it was the SWC's sharp shoulder that did damage vs the meplat. Maybe this was do e to test that theory?

Cramer No. 3

by Harry O-1, Friday, August 30, 2013, 21:34 (4047 days ago) @ Charles

Many years ago, Lyman offered 38, 44, and 45 caliber bullet moulds similar to what you describe. One of the old Ideal Handbooks I have says that it was designed by A.L.A. Himmelwright, former president of the US Revolver Association. Its benefits (according to the manual) were that it would cut full sized holes in paper targets and game plus, the extended bump on the nose would cut the wind to give it better accuracy at longer ranges.

I don't know how true this is, but I recall reading about someone who cast a needle in the center of a flat-nose wadcutter. Under testing it reduced the air resistance by setting up a cone of disturbed air around the wadcutter, increasing its speed at extended distances. It seems like the extended bump on the nose of a wadcutter would do the same.

Cramer No. 3

by Charles, Thursday, September 05, 2013, 10:19 (4041 days ago) @ Harry O-1

I am familiar with the Himmelwright bullets, but they have a more pointed cone on top of the wadcutter body. The Cramer No. 3 has a larger round nose on top of the wadcutter body.

The Cramer No. 3 looks for all the world like a Keith bullets that has a round nose instead of the flatted cone on top of the wadcutter body.

I always have supposed it would act just as you suggest.

RSS Feed of thread