Oddball ammo. Attn: Lee J

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, August 26, 2013, 18:29 (4051 days ago)

I may have asked about this one before but I'm curious if anyone has a clue on its origin.

It looks to have a large primer shoved into the hollow point cavity. Who knows what is behind it! Then it's been coated in some kind of yellow paint. The case is a nickled Super Vel .45 case. I'm wondering if its supposed to be some kind of 'exploding' round orzo
Etching that's supposed to flash when it it hits a steel plate.

On to some pics:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Any guesses?

Jim Cirillo & Bill Alard tried primers and mercury in the

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, August 26, 2013, 19:49 (4051 days ago) @ Slow Hand
edited by Rob Leahy, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 10:16

noses of their 38 and 45 JHPs...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

IAA Forum Discussion: "Exploder ammo??"

by FOG, Monday, August 26, 2013, 19:54 (4051 days ago) @ Slow Hand

International Ammunition Association Forum: Exploder ammo??

[image]

Yours looks like it might be one of the "yellow tip exploders" posted by IAA President, Pepper Burruss, but that's just a guess.

I would also guess the Super Vel case is just a coincidence.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Sure looks like those!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, August 26, 2013, 20:26 (4051 days ago) @ FOG

I'd say its in the same line as the yellow tipped ones there. I wonder whats inside that bullet/case! Funny thing is, I have a partial box of .32acp ammo in a box similar to the Hi-Vel 9mm box pictured.

Jim Cerillo & Bill Alard tried primers and mercury in the

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Monday, August 26, 2013, 23:35 (4051 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I experimented with various of these types. But none were ever put on the market by Super Vel. Might have discussed it with Cirillo on numerous occasions. I do not remember him telling me he tried it tho.Results were not effective enough to warrant marketing. Besides the liability from a primer on both ends of the cartridge would not be worth the effort.
IIRC we put 1 grain of Bulleye in a 405 gr. 45-70 projectile with the primer and fired at a 2x4 was somewhat impressive.
Just lab experiments. :-P

Sure looks like those!

by uncowboy, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 16:34 (4050 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I have put primers in my 9 mm supervels in the mid 80's.Carried them in a high power.
I still have a box of the factory stuff in the pic in 45 but the name slips my pee brain now but I am 34 days away from 50 so CRS is a factor. I don't believed the primers worked on tissue but did work on lumber. J.Michael

Back in my kid days

by Charles, Thursday, August 29, 2013, 10:02 (4048 days ago) @ Lee J.

we glued some CB caps into HP cavity (base forward) of a Gould 330 45-70 and fired them at some rocks. Never could tell much of anything, but the rocks did break all to hell.

RSS Feed of thread